neato Schott jacket?

620dark

You can always get it running with time or money.
Hi folks,

I thought I'd ask for a little advice from you learned jacket folks - I found this Schott jacket, and was wondering if they are common, and about how much it would be worth. Anyone know how Schott jackets fit in general? Do they run big or small?

Thanks!

aQDbEcC.jpg

Buy it if its cheap. Vintage Schott jackets can fetch big money ($400 and up...) Can't speak for their fit but most vintage jackets run small. At least any I've owned.

Thanks man, I'm thinking hard about it and appreciate the input.

Picked it up - would have been $75 shipped, but a last minute bidder pushed it up to $95. Probably still worth it - I don't have a decent kick-around-in leather jacket any more.

DrJ said:
Depends how old it is. A pic of the label would help.

I'll post up when it arrives then. It's 70s vintage according to the seller.

Ok, it's missing the zip out liner, so there's no label. The zipper says Schott, and the jacket is otherwise as described. The jacket's leather was really dry, however.

I soaked it with some Turtle Wax leather cleaner and conditioner, which I've been using for years on pretty much every bit of leather in my life. The jacket soaked up the conditioner very very quickly. I had to go back over a couple of areas with more of the conditioner, and after letting it soak for a bit I buffed it in. The jacket darkened down with the application of the conditioner, which I expected, but actually feels like real leather now. Much easier to put on!

bhGaf64.jpg

IYfwcNx.jpg

QISZtYd.jpg

2o3odne.jpg

2OF33R6.jpg

Thays gorgeous. Get that tear in the sleeve fixed beforenit spreads though.

Also, the people at Schott are pretty cool. I bet if you emailed them some picstl they could amd would help ID the age and model for ya.

VonYinzer said:
Thays gorgeous. Get that tear in the sleeve fixed beforenit spreads though.

Also, the people at Schott are pretty cool. I bet if you emailed them some picstl they could amd would help ID the age and model for ya.

Thanks, I really liked the look of it myself! I'm heading out on vacation and need a somewhat safe moto jacket that I can pack, as I'm flying to get there.

The tear looks like a worn through hole - what would you suggest as a fix? I've not had to have leather repaired before.

I'll get ahold of the Schott folks then - thanks!

Have a tailor or leather shop sew a cool patch over it. If done right it'll keep the hole from pulling apart.

VonYinzer said:
Have a tailor or leather shop sew a cool patch over it. If done right it'll keep the hole from pulling apart.

Right on, time to find a cool patch...

Also, the jacket completely sucked up all the conditioner I put on it yesterday. I'll have to reapply today. I think the leather was a little bit dry...

Schott tells me that the jacket is a '70s vintage 641 model:

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/motorcycle/single-rider-steerhide-leather-motorcycle.htm

It is no longer available in brown, it appears, but can be mine new for $615 :eek: Guess I did all right on the price.

After putting some miles on the jacket, the right sleeve shoulder seam started coming apart. I think the thread was already stressed by the impact that wore the hole through the right sleeve wrist area.

I took the jacket up to a local seamstress, and she's going to fix the right shoulder as well as a small loose stitching part on the left shoulder and patching the hole from the inside. She is only charging $35 for the job!

I'll post up more pictures after the jacket comes back early next week.

I got the jacket back from the tailor, and it looks great. She redid all the stitching in the arms and glued a leather patch to the inside of the right sleeve to seal up the hole there. I don't think there's a need to post any more pictures, as it looks the same as when I bought it :)

My take away from all this is that having a jacket repaired by a tailor is an inexpensive way to save a nice jacket!

Just an FYI Lexol makes some great PH balanced cleaner and conditioner. It's probably not much more than car leather cleaner, and it keeps the leather from getting messed up. I did tons of research and at the end of the day car leather cleaner is not good for it. Glad it worked for you and it looks great. Check out those Lexol products in the future.

Thanks man, I will. I need to hit the coat with something again, as it's still a bit dry, so I'll try the Lexol.

Back
Top Bottom