Something different here (MT250 inside)

DreadRock said:
Ummmm think of a tracker not for the dirt but more like a supermotard a dirt bike with street bike tires !

That's it in a nutshell! And you can have more fun on a bike like that than should be allowed.

All the "big" plans are really on hold until I can get a title and re-do the wiring harness. I love wiring so I was going to buy all new wire and re make the whole harness but with standard blade fuses and ready for 12v because a 6v system is retarded. So that should give me more options for pretty much everything and I can use this tacho I've had sitting in my toolbox for ages now. I'm not a fan of how the cable driven tach reads.

The new engine came and I've been ripping it around trails and such by the house. The project has kind of taken a turn towards the original intent of the bike, well because its pretty fun in the form it is now. My idea is kind of a brat/tracker (so I guess this thread should be moved).

I plan on making a longer seat (the girlfriend only said I could get a bike if she could ride it with me), pretty much to the end of the hoop so like an extra 2 inches longer or so, but the real kicker is what I'm going to be using as the cover, I have this old tactical bag from my brother that I was going to use. Looks like this:

41nGIgKBbxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(With the pockets at the very rear of the seat)

I was thinking of dyeing it black so I can still paint the tank/fender/side cover red and it not look weird. Or tan to match the exhaust wrap (leaving the exhaust alone otherwise). What do you guys think?

I'm sure I'm going to catch sh*t here for this, but hey man, do you. If you think it looks good, then guess what? It looks good.

Many of the regulars here build bikes that look like sh*t to me, but if they like it, then by all means. Ignore the Debbie Downers on here. Build what you like.

But I do have to say, make sure you do the exhaust correctly, they were right about that.

I am with Cory, Do'er man. I am building a cafe out of an 81 suzuki TS185. Ugly bike ... I mean Uuuuggly bike. But I have faith that it will turn out in the end. Good luck and keep the photos coming.
Stay cool
John

Got allllllll the dents out of the tank (well my roommate did) and I painted it at work today! I also polished up the petcock and gas cap. Is it possible to work a vent into the tank itself so I can knock the nipple off of the cap?

61833_4788440683228_1809614863_n.jpg

I am kinda thinking that red/black/gold(pinstripe)/polished bits and bobs would look awesome. I decided to have a go at really giving the gas cap some shine to it and I am quite pleased with the outcome, ~20 minutes of work with a drill and some sandpaper and it looks like something I would of bought! I love polishing stuff haha.

154411_4793228602923_447356462_n.jpg

The finger cut-outs aren't so tidy but I can always touch that up with a brush. P.S. it started out like this:

556303_4793229882955_272990392_n.jpg

556331_4794168586422_1448917499_n.jpg

It looks a lot better now, Kinda thinking of painting the recessed bit on the knob black and the tab that sticks down red or something like that.

428807_4794167626398_1595774731_n.jpg

This is purely the color itself, no clear coat yet.

I also picked up seat materials so that shall be getting done quite soon!

Master_Spazez said:
Got allllllll the dents out of the tank (well my roommate did) and I painted it at work today! I also polished up the petcock and gas cap. Is it possible to work a vent into the tank itself so I can knock the nipple off of the cap?

61833_4788440683228_1809614863_n.jpg

Took me a while to work out what I was looking for in that pic ;)

Cheers
Steve

Making progress and whatever color scheme looks good to you is the right one. Good call on what it's strength is.

Over on SuperbikePlanet.com they have a link to an old Honda Elsinore advert with Steve McQueen. Check it out and you will know how right that decision was.

So I saw somewhere else where a guy used a rear turn signal to make a tail/brake light, and I liked it so I did it, too. I used 6 LEDs for the running light and then a bulb for the brake light. It works really well and is super bright.

307264_4865067558852_1683067648_n.jpg

My current problem though is the stator cannot supply enough power to keep the battery charged for any more than an hour at best. it just wasn't meant to charge a 12v system.

Here is a quick shot I snapped on my way to work this morning, I am thinking about cutting the rear fender and I'm going to get a completely different front one.

270352_4885378746619_887769183_n.jpg

The seat is a huge WIP right now I still need to dye it black and tidy it up but it beats the old ripped vinyl, and I'm kind of on the fence about wrapping the exhaust.

I bought an 18" front wheel and I keep meaning to take some time and see if it can work on the bike as it sits, or if I need to buy new spokes and re-lace it which should be fun. (ha)

Well my neighbor got some vinyl for his streetfighter seat, and he gave me the rest to re-do mine! I think it came out very well so I went for a ride. I think it looks way better, also I am ditching the whole front headlight/gauge cluster bucket in favor of something more dirt bike looking. I found an 18w 1300lm LED lamp that I will sport on the front of the bike as well as two small LED turn signals all mounted into this fairing I am making from the part of the fender I trimmed off (no pictures of that yet, just hang tight).

IMG_20130115_123554_zps03405115.jpg

So something is going wrong in the carb so I decided to buy a rebuild kit for it today. It would rev waay up and not idle at all but drive fine so I guess the slow jet oxidized or got clogged with junk, so I bought a fuel filter to prevent that from happening again. I also made a bracket for the tach using a clamp for a broom handle I guess? A drill bit and a cutoff wheel can turn an idea into reality! I then realized that I have no clue where to tie the signal wire of the tach in at, so that kind of doesn't work right now. Anyway, I have a picture with the lights mounted back up again.

553651_4959711484891_1075690054_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom