KZ550 bob/Cafe almost there!!!

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? <---all of the above so far...

That tail is gonna look sweet man. Nice lines! +1 for doing it with sheet metal!

Thanks a lot guys. Here's what I'm thinking for a tail light. First pic is the daytime light, and second one is the brake light. I think I'm going to slot the disc brake so that a bit more light comes through for the running light. I was always getting crap for keeping things (like the used disc brake from my old SV) so I thought it might be cool to use it in my design! So here is the mockup of that.

I've got a ton of pictures of the next part, but I'll narrow them down a bit. Not sure if there is a limit? haha. Here's a few of the start of my first undertail. Guess I have to start somewhere right?

Very cool stuff

I like where you're headed with this, man. I'll be watching for sure!

Thanks for the motivation guys! We aren't open on Friday's, which means I have more time to work on the bike! ;D So I made that first mock-up piece and then did some real calculations based on that, and instead of making this one in an hour or so...it took only 20 minutes! haha. This is the new and improved version that has the flaps go inside the frame instead of on the underside. I made the rear look a lot cleaner this way I think. Its going to get bolted into place and then I can take the hammer to her to start shaping it better (it's a tad skewed to one side) But I am now debating using my weird brake disc Idea. This looks damn clean for all the hammering I had to do! So I will go get some lunch and come back and toss the rear section back on to see what it looks like now.

Cool looking project. That undertail is clean looking. Nice job sexing up the ugly LTD version of the KZ.

I like the sheetmetal look. Although I would ditch the screws, lay out a few more holes and shoot some solid aluminum rivets in there. It would look sick, plus they polish up alot better than steel screws.

Well, sorry I've been gone for a week or so :( I've been really sick, some sort of virus the docs said, which kept me in bed since Tuesday. Feeling good to be back here at the shop!

Chopper Mechanic, I originally was going to do the rivets. My dad is working on an old Be-de 5 (experimental kit plane) so there's a billion rivets around here! But I wanted to be able to take it off...and if I did rivets (although I know they would look sooooooo much better) don't just "come off" they need to be drilled out. And if I was to go that far, I would just weld it all to the frame and have it be clean without any holes whatsoever. Maybe on the next bike I'll do that, this one is going to be a tad industrial looking because I want that removable. Thanks for the comment. I'll try to sneak something else in with rivets for ya ;D

Bruno

I can dig it. Really clean work so far. The flat bar trim on the tail is genius!

Thanks a lot CrescentSon. I got somewhere tonight....not sure if it's where I thought I would go, but I think that's the beauty of this whole process right? ::) Anyways, here's some pics. One with the tail light, finally starting to take some good shape ;D And then the next is where it all starts going odd...I pulled out my hammers and went to town!!

Attachments

• KZprojectpic42Tank.JPG
    KZprojectpic42Tank.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 336
  • KZprojectpic43Tank.JPG
    KZprojectpic43Tank.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 367

And the "finished" hammerjob! haha. :-X

Attachments

• KZprojectpic45Tank.JPG
    KZprojectpic45Tank.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 393

Holy CRAP! How have I missed this build??? That tail looks absolutely INSANE. I like it! Almost looks kinda Cylon-ish (original Battlestar).

I'd give you a standing ovation but my wife would think I'm a moron.... Too late.

Haha, my girl enjoyed that comment arc :D I'm just going to toss this out there since I went a tad overboard with the hammer....what do ya think if I hammer a section in on the tail? Too much?

I'm glad I could be of service. IMO, keep the tail as is. I think any hammering there will take away from its appeal and the knee indents add more dimension to the tank.

MotorbikeBruno said:
And the "finished" hammerjob! haha. :-X
Nice, that looks like a great start on the tank. I've been debating trying some tank dents on my KZ550.

Back
Top Bottom