1979 Suzuki GS550 Rookie Brat Build

Thanks everybody. She is coming together pretty good. I am going to order some dual sport tires later this week. Those really seem to change the look of a bike. I was also thinking of ordering a tachometer from DCC. Does anyone know what the ratio of turns to RPMs are for the zook GS550?

Paydan said:
Thanks everybody. She is coming together pretty good. I am going to order some dual sport tires later this week. Those really seem to change the look of a bike. I was also thinking of ordering a tachometer from DCC. Does anyone know what the ratio of turns to RPMs are for the zook GS550?

Don't know it off the top of my head, but checkout the GSResource.com website forum. Plenty of members have upgraded gauges and i'm sure hitting up the search function on the forum or making a short post would yield a result quite quickly. Keep up the mods, looking good.

Well this just gave me the inspiration I need to get moving on making my seat. I could not decide what to do, but this helped.

Following your build :)

man, the brat look with the original mint condition paint is really turning out nicely! you should try making your own 4-1 exhaust since you've got access to a welder. i made my own 2-1 for my kz440 out of a few bends from summit racing.

I have been looking around at idea on how to convert the stock exhauxt over to a 4:1 setup. More to come. As for the paint, I have been toying with the idea of sanding it all off and just running a clearcoated bare metal scheme. I am torn.

Paydan said:
As for the paint, I have been toying with the idea of sanding it all off and just running a clearcoated bare metal scheme. I am torn.

If you do that, please buy a ratty tank to do it on. That paint looks to be in a pretty good shape, and it would be a shame to ruin that.

I have to admit, for original paint it is in excellent condition. I have been wanting to do an all metal tank for a while but I just can't bring myself to sanding off such a good original paint job ...yet

Zook014.jpg

Paydan said:
I have to admit, for original paint it is in excellent condition. I have been wanting to do an all metal tank for a while but I just can't bring myself to sanding off such a good original paint job ...yet

Zook014.jpg

Don't dew itz!!1! - Buy a tank from a junkyard or ebay for $30-50 and keep that thing clean for the mean time. Don't get me wrong, i've completely cut-up a handful of these GS bikes, but when we find them in such good condition as this bike you have, I don't have the heart to destroy them. That is a prime example of keeping it exceptionally clean yet bratted out. Ofcourse, do as you please at it is your machine, but maybe find some other fun ways to "brat" the beast while keepin it somewhat original/clean. Considered fork boots, or a bratty headlight upgrade of sorts?

ChimeraMW said:
Don't dew itz!!1! - Buy a tank from a junkyard or ebay for $30-50 and keep that thing clean for the mean time. Don't get me wrong, i've completely cut-up a handful of these GS bikes, but when we find them in such good condition as this bike you have, I don't have the heart to destroy them. That is a prime example of keeping it exceptionally clean yet bratted out. Ofcourse, do as you please at it is your machine, but maybe find some other fun ways to "brat" the beast while keepin it somewhat original/clean. Considered fork boots, or a bratty headlight upgrade of sorts?

I hear ya. I have gone out to the garage several times to prep it for paint and just couldn't do it. I try to find new things to do to the bike to sidetrack me but for some reason the idea of paint just keeps coming back. We will see. In the meantime I have done a few more little things. I was poking around the garage and a small role of the fiberglass heat wrap so I was finally able to finish wrapping the exhaust.

Zook025.jpg

I finished rewelding the exhaust tips. After cutting the length off of the exhaust I added some sheetmetal to close them back up and give it that cone look.

Zook023.jpg

I also got in my micro LED turn signals. Those coupled with the new headlight bracket and I think that they make a good combination. I lowered the headlight about another two inches. It looks good but I just ordered a smaller 5 1/4" unit. I can't wait for it to come in.

Zook026.jpg

I broke out the old cutting wheel and trimmed up the front fender a bit. It is bare metal right now but it will have some color on it just as soon as I can decide on one. Decisions decisions.

Zook028.jpg

Here is how she sits as of now.

Zook033.jpg

Zook030.jpg

Zook035.jpg

Zook034.jpg

this is sick dude!

always love the look of a bike modded but with o.g paint.
like the DIY touches youve done with cutting and welding. well done so far

looks great, are u putting on a rear fender? for give me if you already said so. i also like the bare metal look but with that paint thats on it i would also have to say leave it .

Paydan said:
I also got in my micro LED turn signals. Those coupled with the new headlight bracket and I think that they make a good combination. I lowered the headlight about another two inches. It looks good but I just ordered a smaller 5 1/4" unit. I can't wait for it to come in.

Are you planning to run without signals in the rear? It would be nice to find a cat-eye light that has integrated turns. What micro LED turn signals did you go with up front?

I'm also excited to see how the 5 1/4" unit looks because I can't decide what size light to go with.

cb 400 t said:
looks great, are u putting on a rear fender? for give me if you already said so. i also like the bare metal look but with that paint thats on it i would also have to say leave it .

I thought about making a fender for the rear but I think that I like it better without. As far as the paint goes, I do really like the originallity and the condition of the paint but wanted to go with something a little more vintage. I may leave it because my whole intention of the build was to make a mildly modified bike but still retain some/most of the original bike. So far I have been please with how it has turned out but for some reason I can't get the thought of a paint job out of my head. I would like to keep the original paint but winter can last a long time so you know how it goes. We will see.

Jonny_C said:
Are you planning to run without signals in the rear? It would be nice to find a cat-eye light that has integrated turns. What micro LED turn signals did you go with up front?

I'm also excited to see how the 5 1/4" unit looks because I can't decide what size light to go with.

Originally I was not going to run rear signals. I ordered another set to place in the rear but I am not sure if I am going to mount them or not. I looked high and dry for this same rear catseye light with turn signals intergrated but came up with nothing. I found some really nice units from Chrome Glow but they weren't quite the style that I was going for for this bike. I will definitely use them for my next project though.

I am an idiot when it comes to motorcycle tires. I have a 3.25 h19 front tire but I cannot find that size in the particular tire style that I want to go with. Can anyone tell me what a comparable size would be to basically match the original? I would go a little wider if need be but it can't be too much as I might have clearance issues.

I might have had the same size on the front, but I would have to check. I ended up going with 110/90-19 - http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=765&products_id=5123

Back
Top Bottom