1979 Suzuki GS550 Rookie Brat Build

I looked for a long time for a similar cats eye taillight with integrated turn signals as well and didn't find anything I really cared for. I ended up adding turn signals to that tail light instead. I drilled new holes for mounting the plate above where the existing slots are. Then I cut slots on out to each side. Then bent the bottom half of each side down at a 90. That should leave you with enough meat to drill holes to mount mini turn signals on each side. The stalks on the mini turn signals should just be long enough so that the lights show on each side of the plate. On mine it looks a little "heavy" but I wanted the rear turn signals. You can see my results on page 2 of my build thread. But if they're blacked out to match the rest of your lights and the way your light is tucked in closer to your seat then it might look much better on yours. Just thought I'd throw out that option to you.

diggerdanh said:
I looked for a long time for a similar cats eye taillight with integrated turn signals as well and didn't find anything I really cared for.

I found this on Ebay from Psycho Moto up in Canada...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CUSTOM-MOTORCYCLE-LED-BRAKE-TAIL-LIGHT-WITH-TURN-SIGNALS-BLINKERS-INTEGRATED-/160938891930

Of course there are no pictures of it with the turn signals lit up.

Your bike is a beast Dan. Great job on it. I really love the stance. Keep it up.

Awesome! Thanks Johnny! Just what I was looking for.

I was off the last couple of days so I thought that I would finally dig into the bike and clean up the middle section. I honestly thought it would be a quick removale of unwanted parts and relocation of the battery and wireing harness. Man was I wrong. Everything was packed in so tight I had no other way to get some things out other than to cut them out. I started out with this...

Zook007.jpg

and four hours later I had this...

Suzuki007_zpsc9d16bb8.jpg

Suzuki010_zps3eb63f95.jpg

Suzuki011_zps0b330916.jpg

For now I have zipper ties holding the wireing harness to the frame but I plan on welding in some tabs so it is more consealed. I think that it turned out really well.

Very nice! Do you have the battery mounted to the swingarm? I bought a LiPo battery that I will be mounting right up next to the engine.

For now the battery is mountaed to the swingarm. I am planning on buying a much smaller lipo battery and I want to make a fully enclosed battery box for it.

thats what i did with my cb, the only access to it is to take the seat off, isnt the quickest way but its heaps clean

20121117_161145.jpg

20121110_145749.jpg

its 2.5mm and im only running lights, no starter motor so its not going to be pulling many amps at all

I have a gs 750 and if I want to run virtually no batteriy but all the blinkers and light is it possible??
Like you did?

Depends what year you've got. Does it have a kickstart? Then yes. Does it not? Then...do you mind always parking on a hill?

Oh, but you could go to a lithium ion battery (pretty cheap with a little soldering on 8 A123 batteries, or a little spendy from RevAmp - either way, about the size of a paperback copy of Huck Finn), and still achieve that "empty triangle".

BTW, great looking bike, and sorry about 'jacking your thread for a second. ;D

Sounds great! Sorry for being too lazy and not wanting to look back, but is that a stock muffler just cut down? Or is it basically just an open pipe?

EDIT: I looked back and see it's a cut down exhaust. And damn, it's a 4 into 2 exhaust still. It sounded to me like 4 into 1.

buzznichols said:
Oh, but you could go to a lithium ion battery (pretty cheap with a little soldering on 8 A123 batteries, or a little spendy from RevAmp - either way, about the size of a paperback copy of Huck Finn), and still achieve that "empty triangle".

BTW, great looking bike, and sorry about 'jacking your thread for a second. ;D

77 and kickstart so I guess yes thanks for the answer!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Makes me want to go out and fire up mine just to hear that sweet Zook engine sound.

It's funny. It has been snowing the past couple of days but I think that I still crank her up and give her a good reving at least two to three times a day. I love that Zook sound.

Jonny_C said:
Sounds great! Sorry for being too lazy and not wanting to look back, but is that a stock muffler just cut down? Or is it basically just an open pipe?

EDIT: I looked back and see it's a cut down exhaust. And damn, it's a 4 into 2 exhaust still. It sounded to me like 4 into 1.

Thanks mate. Even though I am still running the stock exhaust cut down she sounds great (IMHO). Cutting it down a removing some of the baffeling made a big difference in not only appearance but in sound as well.

Suzuki011_zps0b330916.jpg

hey man, absolutely love this tread!! great looking bike!

i have seen this image before, but always was curious. Im loving the pod filters on the gs, trying to do the same on mine. How was the mechanical frustration when install the pods? Im debating on re-installing the stock box but am willing to do whatever it takes to make these things work. Can u help me out?

Back
Top Bottom