1983 Virago 500

thisisbuckwheat

Hey guys,

I'm posting here for a buddy that just can't seem to get motivated enough to do it himself.

He picked up a non-running Virago a couple of months ago, and we can't seem to figure it out.

We had it running briefly after bringing it home. Put some new plugs in it, and had to prime the cylinders, but it did run.

He then took the carbs off and cleaned them up, and now we can't seem to get it to go.

My initial thought is that there may be some sort of cracked seal in there that is preventing things from happening... Should he order a rebuild kit for the carbs? New gaskets, seals, etc? (I realize that he probably should anyway)

I am also operating on the vague assumption that there is a problem with the fuel pump, as the bowls are filling up (likely trickling down while it sits while we screw around with it), but it doesn't seem like it's getting fuel to the spark.

It has spark, it has good compression, and new plugs....

thisisbuckwheat said:
It has spark, it has good compression, and new plugs....

Sounds like a fuel problem then. Try covering the carb inlet whilst turning the motor over to coax some fuel into the motor.

welcome, yeah sounds like you are having a fuel issue.. firstly, there is no fuel pump.. its a vacuum style petcock, so make sure the vacuum line from the carb is hooked to the petcock, or just leave it on prime for the time being.. secondly, I would check the float bowl levels to make sure they are up to snuff, plenty of youtube videos that can guide you through that if youre not familiar. those dual carb setups are a real bitch, and a pain in the ass to get in and out, ive done it tons of times trying to get my carbs right. but if hes not a pro at rebuilding carbs, then he should pay someone to clean and rebuild/sync them for him. there are lots of little air passages in those things that get clogged and can restrict the bike from running, like people have to buy guitar string, and clean little passages with the wire.. its a pain. definitely get the rebuilt kits, I found some on ebay for like 40 shipped. also tell him to get on the virago tech forums, tons of info over there as well. hope you guys get it all sorted.

MJ, if this is the 535 then it may have a pump as the tank is under the seat and below the carbs, The fuel coming out would be floats not shutting off so float height may be buggered and need fixing. I am helping a buddy fix up one of these but it's been a while since we worked on it. I haven't gotten to carbs yet either.

83 was the 500, bit different than the 535 in looks & the tank. I've had both, they are great bikes. I would love to see pictures as you guys progress.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but did you turn the air-mixture screw out the recommended number of turns? If it's all the way in, you gets no fuel ::)

Have you tried spraying starting fluid into the carbs? Don't tell anybody I told you to do this, but I normally take a syringe of any kind and just place a few drops in the venturi. If it starts for a moment like this, then you have a lack of fuel.

Crank it a few times with the plug wires off and then pull plugs. If they are dry you're not getting gas to the motor and need to clean the carbs better or look to your fuel pump.

Back
Top Bottom