RESTORED!! 1972 Honda CB750 K2. New Tank and Badges. BUT: WHINING noise

VintageMBike

Been Around the Block
Got a new tank and badges for my 1972 Honda. NOS tach and speedo too, in their original honda boxes.

While out yesterday, I noticed a whining noise at about 60mph that goes away when I exceed 60mph, or slower.

I seem to have no problem shifting so I dont think its the clutch. I know this is a shot in the dark, but any ideas offhand?

The only other issue is the tach seal is leaking and a bit of oil is coming out.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_9747.jpeg
    IMG_9747.jpeg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9743.jpeg
    IMG_9743.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_9755.jpeg
    IMG_9755.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9709.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_9709.HEIC.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9727.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_9727.HEIC.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 226
Very nice restore. The whine may be the tach cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irk miller said:
Very nice restore. The whine may be the tach cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot.

You know a lot of ppl lurk but never respond. You always add your thoughts and its much appreciated. Youre a good dude!

Pull in the clutch and coast - does the whine go away? BTW, NOS may still be just as old as the bike, and the lubricant may have dried out. If the whine goes away with coasting, I agree probably tach cable or tack. If not, could be speedo cable or speedo. The cables are easy to lube, just don't over-do it. The 750F I rescued last winter had a dry bearing in the speedo head (not in the needle bearing, I had fixed that). A quick light shot of lube into the cable socket stopped that.

pidjones said:
Pull in the clutch and coast - does the whine go away? BTW, NOS may still be just as old as the bike, and the lubricant may have dried out. If the whine goes away with coasting, I agree probably tach cable or tack. If not, could be speedo cable or speedo. The cables are easy to lube, just don't over-do it. The 750F I rescued last winter had a dry bearing in the speedo head (not in the needle bearing, I had fixed that). A quick light shot of lube into the cable socket stopped that.

Thanks for this! Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom