1964 305 Dream restoration

MBS

Live, breath, sleep HONDA!
Hi DTTer's, Its been a long time since I posted here. Took on a Honda 305 Dream build as a side job. Quick back story, guy who owns the bike is a teacher at a local high school. His friend the auto shop teacher gave him an old non-running dream 305 in hopes he would do something with it. So said owner purchased another dream 305 as a running donor and stripped the one he was given to have it all powder coated. Once he got the coated parts back, he took those and the donor bike to "a guy" who does bike work. The guy disassembled the running donor bike and then sat on it for a year or more before deciding he didn't want to put it back together. No local shops would touch the project and that's how the owner came to me word of mouth. I took the project on knowing it would be challenging as I have never rebuilt one of these before and had a million parts with no reference to how it goes together. Fortunately I have almost 20 years experience building and working on classic motorcycles and using parts diagrams I'm able to get it together. So far it's coming out really well. So I thought I would share on DTT since its been a while.

Attachments

• IMG_8408.JPG
    IMG_8408.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8410.JPG
    IMG_8410.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8416.JPG
    IMG_8416.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_8428.JPG
    IMG_8428.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9370.JPG
    IMG_9370.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9377.JPG
    IMG_9377.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
  • TXZL0394.JPG
    TXZL0394.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9489.JPG
    IMG_9489.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_9503.JPG
    IMG_9503.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 210
Nice to see you have rescued it! Fun sorting through all that stuff eh?

Fortunately,they are really simple bikes. Exceptioally well designed and manufactured for the time, and really easy to work on. The motor really only needs one special tool and that's for the oil slinger nut that is available quite cheaply or make one out of a spare socket.

The chassis looks odd to most of us with pressed steel frame and leading link forks, but they work well enough and look cute.

I am having fun with this project. It is a simple but weird design. Heavy for what it is too. Hardest part is dealing with the powder coating, chasing threads and removing coating so things fit as they should.
Project is going slow because the only new parts available are reproduction overseas, shipping time is long. If I had everything I needed I could have it done in a weekend. Fitting the Honda rebel shocks on it was a fun challenge but worked out.

Dave Silver in the UK is a good source as are the guys at CMSNL.com and https://classichondarestoration.com/ but they seem a bit expensive.

I have found quite a lot of parts on flea bay over the years. "square" shocks might be hard to find but round ones work well enough.

Keep having fun

Back
Top Bottom