Anyone had gearbox failure?

bonester

My Ace has never had a particularly nice gear action, but now, at less than two months old and 1300km on the clock it is getting stuck in either 2nd or 3rd at intersections. I have to take off in these gears which is a challenge, then once moving the bike can be shifted back down. Had a good look at it tonight and the gear shaft (one in engine) seems to lock up at times, not allowing a down or sometimes upchange. I'm suspecting either the centre-ing spring on the gear shaft or the detent spring, or god forbid, worn or broken shift forks....
I have had a difficult time rectifying other faults in the bike in a timely manner so far. Importer has been incompetent at organising parts and condescending when I complained about his service- a month to replace faulty rear wheel. (brake was out of round)
So I am considering my options at this point. I wonder if genuine Honda parts would be better? Shouldn't have to disassemble such a new engine to rectify a gearbox issue. Nearest dealer is two hours away. He is at the mercy of the hopeless importer. Bugger.
My engine has a big bore kit so a replacement engine would be a pain.

Thanks. Did some fine adjustment of clutch cable and chain today and it seems to have minimised it. Was unrideable as it was. Doing at 180km round trip tonight on it so that will confirm it. Cheers

The gearbox on my 'Ace' was clunky and neutral could be difficult to find when stationary but it improved over time. It is not the smoothest changer but is adequate for the job. Good luck with yours!

Crazy

Well bugger me it seems ok now. One half difficult change but otherwise good. Can't believe it is so sensitive to chain tension/ clutch adjustment.
It did however break down on me yesterday when the pilot jet fell out of the carb. Rode it 15km regulating fuel flow with the fuel tap. I thought it was stuck needle and seat. No 10mm spanner in toolkit to get carb off. Gonna rectify that. I did however get a great pic of bike in its broken down state. Pity numberplate was falling off in it. Bike runs worse now with pilot jet firm- must still need jetting better. Doesn't sit on 100km/h as well.

Attachments

• AceAlloraPlate.jpg
    AceAlloraPlate.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 210
glad to hear the gearbox issue sorted itself out. yeah extra tension on the chain can change gear changes.
a nice slow and positve gear change , letting the engine do the work to slot it into gear is the way to go, fast and hard might sometimes work, untill something breaks.

Clutch may not have been fully operating. Glad to hear you don't need a new box. The clutch is not too bad on these bikes and takes quite a bit of power to make them slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom