1970 CB350 - Loss of power on left cylinder

Sonreir said:
+1 for what teazer said. If the battery is causing one side to die out, it's usually at higher RPM, not lower.
no its at higher in all my cb360's and my 350 if the batteries dead it won't fire on both cylinder until you hit 4k

Could something have built a nest in the right side muffler??? Back when I got my first car it had dual exhaust. One of my "friends" thought it would be funny to shove a potato in one of the pipes and wait for it to pop out. Butthole used a commode plunger handle to push it in really deep and I couldn't see it from the end of the pipe. It took about a week for the damn thing to dry out enough to come out on it's on. I had 4 cylinders that refused to run above 2500 rpms and the only thing they had in common was they were on the same side of the engine and had a shared exhaust.

My $.02,
FMTL

Frankmowthelawn said:
Could something have built a nest in the right side muffler??? Back when I got my first car it had dual exhaust. One of my "friends" thought it would be funny to shove a potato in one of the pipes and wait for it to pop out. Butthole used a commode plunger handle to push it in really deep and I couldn't see it from the end of the pipe. It took about a week for the damn thing to dry out enough to come out on it's on. I had 4 cylinders that refused to run above 2500 rpms and the only thing they had in common was they were on the same side of the engine and had a shared exhaust.

My $.02,
FMTL

LOL

I'm hoping this topic is still being followed, I just joined and did not see where to start new post.
Anyway, 350 ,1971 cl, took it step by step, I started with a failed coil on left cylinder.
New coils, capacitor/condenser, new combo regulator-rectifier, new points, plugs , plug caps and plug wires. Adjusted tensioner, adjusted valve clearances, set points. Motor idles 2000 rpm, starts within 2-3 kicks, starts quickly on starter. Took the bike foe two short runs, was running great, then it acted and sounded like a cylinder was not firing. Open choke while running at speed, and bike started to quit. Closed choke , bike ran with power lost. Could run around 40 , speed would slowly go up, guest because I was on level ground. Made it home, did not turn off bike, but I did manually open right carb throttle, rpm ran up and all sounded it normal , did the same to left carb, no back fire or sounds of missing fire, but the rpm would climb, above 4000 smoothly. I'm thinking carb issue, is there a basic test I can try ( carburetors freak me out ). PS I also had both air filters completely and cleaned and checked clear. What is a good range for compression readings, I should check both cylinders.
Thanks for any input
Hap

Back
Top Bottom