Fiberglass fairing mountings

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

So i´ve been playing around since I mounted a windstopper on my fat old lady (XS 750) that I want to modify and mount a fiberglass fairing that I bought a few years ago for my Yamaha RD project.
Started playing around in Photoshop.
How do I mount these fairings properly (vibration wise)?
Do you guys have any pics of your fairing mounts?

Cheers
and Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 310
Some fairing mounts, different mfgs.
Pat.

Attachments

• Airtech UB1-1.JPG
    Airtech UB1-1.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 697
  • CR750 Meadspead fairing bracket kit.jpg
    CR750 Meadspead fairing bracket kit.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 734
  • rickman fairing mounts 2.jpg
    rickman fairing mounts 2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 690
  • Fairing mounts GP unknown mfg.jpg
    Fairing mounts GP unknown mfg.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 317
Thanks pat for the pics!
Could you send me more detailed pictures of the mounts that hold the fiberglass?
Do you use any kind of rubber grommet to mount them?

Thanks!

Rubber cushioning of some sort is good.
The TZ's had a hard rubber insert at the nose with a threaded metal insert, so acted like a bushing.
The side / rear fairing mounts were a nylon type material, which was threaded part way for the bolt to come through. The other end was hollow and fitted on the frame mounts like a sleeve, held on by "J" clips.
The Rickmans had rubber cushions in various places, but their mounts are quite a bit different than a race fairing.
The trick with any fairing mount is to spread the load as much as possible, so a fairly big washer / big head fastener (Yamaha among others had a special part number screw, M6 I think, with a larger than normal head).
You can get some ideas by looking at the cmsnl.com website - probably any TZ page will do and also the Meadspeed website www.meadspeed.com has some replica fairing cushion mounts available. Pricey but gives you some ideas for fabrication (or just shoot the wad and order them LOL). If you hunted around some of the industrial suppliers, you might be able to find something similar that could be adapted.
Hope the above helps.
Good luck with your project,
Pat

Any where is bolted you should use bushing to avoid cracking. https://www.motosport.com/lockhart-phillips-body-bushing-kit?redirect=1

kdsmf said:
Any where is bolted you should use bushing to avoid cracking. https://www.motosport.com/lockhart-phillips-body-bushing-kit?redirect=1
This is a good style of bushing. The most important concept here is to have a center sleeve that your bolt can tighten down on, leaving the attached component (fairing in this case) captured only by the grip of the rubber grommet. That way the fiberglass (aluminum, carbon, etc) is not crunched by the bolt no matter how tight it is, and for this reason I go for a metal sleeve. It is also very important to make sure the mounting bracket is exactly perpendicular to the bore of the sleeve so that the bearing surface of the bracket rests uniformly on the inside face of the grommet, and the center sleeve is held aligned with the bore of the grommet. It's also a good idea to place a washer larger in outside diameter than the hole in the fairing to both support the grommet on the outside face and also to keep the fairing from falling off if the grommet fails. I have often made these from aluminum thick enough to countersink for a flat head screw. I chuck them in a drill motor or lathe and chamfer the outside edge and the result is a pretty smooth low profile fastening that is easy to take apart. I like nylon bolts, washers, and nuts for mounting windscreens, and aluminum rivets for semi-permanent parts like blisters or scoops.

I've used speedy fasteners on windshields and fairings with great results. The screw pulls a capture nut through the rubber flange and causes it to spread and grip the hole.

5-set-m5-500.jpg

Long time no hear!

Well I had no time and resources to mount my fiberglass fairing but it looks like I´ve got a alumnium fairing for my xs 750 project coming along.
Pics below.

Is there a difference in mounting a fiberglass then a aluminium fairing?
If yes please elaborate!

Still a lot to do, just basically beginning but I want to collect info so I dont drill the wrong holes and such :)
Where would you advise the mount the fairing?
a1e467fee3c4ef852a35adff219fabd6.jpg

Can't say I know the proper way to mount the aluminum if it's any different, but you might want to get you a transfer screw set, if you don't already have one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUBRUTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similar to the post above but these are readily available. I'm ordering some for my YZF race fairings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Motorcycle-Rubber-Grommets-Bolt-Kit-For-Kawasaki-Yamaha-Suzuki-Honda-Fairing/264322892432

irk miller said:
Can't say I know the proper way to mount the aluminum if it's any different, but you might want to get you a transfer screw set, if you don't already have one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUBRUTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont quite understand what this is used for?
Maybe for transfering the holes of the mountings trough the fairing?

thanks

TranceMachineVienna said:
I dont quite understand what this is used for?
Maybe for transfering the holes of the mountings trough the fairing?

thanks
Yes. They're pretty useful. Anytime you want to mount something to existing threaded holes, let's say a lid to a box. You screw those into your boxes threaded holes, lay you lid on top, then tap. The transfer screw puts a dimple on the lid where you need to drill. They're great for oddly shaped things that are difficult to measure for hole locations.

fine-tooth-jigsaw-blade5.jpg

irk miller said:
I've used speedy fasteners on windshields and fairings with great results. The screw pulls a capture nut through the rubber flange and causes it to spread and grip the hole.

5-set-m5-500.jpg

I´m short before ordering a set of these....they look good and easy to use!Wont these screws come loose after some time?
Is there also a screw type with a cotter pin for removable parts of the fairing?

Those rubber "well nuts" are great for windscreens but are not really suitable to mount a fairing to the bike.

Many race bikes used a mount that was a tube and over the end of that tube they had a plastic piece that was bolted to the fairing and was retained in/on the tube with a clip to allow for quick release.

http://www.meadspeed.com/resources/meadspeed/media-files/products/honda/rs125/fairing-mount/with-alloy-screw/main.jpg

In this picture you can see the top and side mounts that have teh nylon end caps in place
http://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1998-Honda-RS125-R-Side.jpg

You can get some delrin parts machined like that or weld a short length of tube to a 10cm length of flat steel and glass that into the fairing. That should slip over the tubular mount you fabricate.

On a race bike, I would normally have a tube that runs across the frame and attached to the upper engine mounts. At the front I would weld a tube to the steering head - pointing forwards.

On some I would bend a piece of flat aluminum and attach it to the engine side covers and use a 1/4 turn fastener. On the street it's better to use rubber mounts and regular 6mm bolts. Saving a few seconds on a street bike fairing removal isn't work the wear and tear with solid mounts.

CUSHION COWLING 94570-04A00 from a GSXR will work. https://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/cushioncowling_big9457004A00-01_c626.jpg

I have an R69S with a fairing in my shop atm. Here’s how it’s fairing is mounted...

62d149fe3b1bd75fad33890db1f28976.jpg

331e2b3361320b54232350e81d1d7f70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the input!

The fairing is slowly coming along.
A lot of shaping sanding and all the good stuff.
I need to figure out how to finish the edges of the fairing. I had a chat with the engineer that will make the registration and told me that the edges need at least 2.5mm 'rolling diameter'.

I ordered a big set of mounting hardware from ebay let's see what I'll be using.
9723931956edca0b3a7f2daaa005e0fb.jpg
762352b99c816bc428aa63102e03cb97.jpg
155caada159422060a74137e6188cefc.jpg

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom