Urban warrior CB750 build (It's alive!)

Re: CB750 Cafe build

Yeah, I'm in Jacksonville. Yeah, got it to run then decided to tear it down. Engine runs good for now, so I'm not gonna tear into it this time around. Never did use a truing stand, jacked up the front end with a jack, chocked the wheels and went to town on the front. As far as lacing goes, I couldn't tell you one way from the other, but patience is a must. Took me 3 hours to get it from .090" out to within .020" out of round and another 2 hours to get it within .030 side to side.

I've done wheels the same way - except I zip-tied the axle to a couple jackstands. place all the spacers on one side of the wheel and have the jack 1 notch lower (so the axle is sitting on a small angle).

Got a few things done Sunday night while I was reorganizing the workbench and garage.
"Where did my eye go??!!"
HPIM2789.jpg

"Oh, there it is..."
HPIM2790.jpg

Now, any tips on how to remove the wiring harness without chopping it up? It runs though a very smallish opening near the neck of the frame, and I'm not seeing an easy way to get it through there without cutting it up, something I want to avoid.

Re: Yellow Jacket CB750 build

Got the wiring harness out without hacking it up. Realized I could just undo a couple of connectors and pull it right through. So that's done. Decided on a color for the frame, although I've kinda knew for a while what I wanted to do. Enter BMW Dakar Yellow...

dakaryellow.jpg

Still not sure which parts will be gloss black, flat black, polished or Dakar yellow. Still gotta get the engine out of the frame and get the damn front sprocket off (no air/impact at the house). But hopefully that'll all happen this weekend and I can get some progress going in the right direction.

Re: Yellow Jacket CB750 build

OK, so small update, I changed my mind again on the frame color. Yellow would be a bitch to keep clean, so now I'm trying to decide on a new color. Did some work in the garage this afternoon. Was tinkering around, pulling off random brackets and connectors and this and that, and then got a great idea. "Let's pull the engine with no help!" Well, I tried to avoid laying the frame down and lifting it off the engine, so I busted out some cinder blocks and the hydraulic jack. Maybe I should have tried the lifting of the frame way. I got it out, but it was a pain with only me, myself and I hefting that big lump this way and that way. After I got that out, I figured why not tear everything else down too. So now I have a completely disassembled 750 sitting in the middle of my garage with a blanket over it (so the wife doesn't have to look at it in disgust). Pics below...
HPIM2800.jpg

HPIM2799.jpg

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build (Update "Pic Heavy!")

New parts update!!! Headed to the boneyard today and scored a goldmine.
New tank from a cb650

CB650Tank.jpg

Oh yeah, adjustable front shocks! Even has the original crossover fluid line on top of tubes.
Damperadjustment.jpg

Rear 1 piece Enkei wheel
EnkeiRearwheel.jpg

Complete front end with 1 piece Enkei wheel and dual disc brakes!
FrontendwithEnkeiwheel.jpg

Bad ass HONDA cast pegs
Hondapegs.jpg

Ninja 500 rearsets
Ninja500rearsets.jpg

Can we say SHOWA front end?!
showa.jpg

Got everything for 200 bucks!
The wheels are wider and smaller than my wires, so I'm gonna have to get new tires, which I planned on anyway. Rear is 3.00x16, front is 2.50x18, so I get to run some massive rubber on this thing now!
Only bad thing is, the 82 Nighthawk forks are about 1/2" wider set than the stock cb750, so I gotta go back and grab the top triple tree before someone else does. :-\ But man, I was stoked when I saw that bike sitting there, under a roof no less, just waiting to be stripped down. Makes me sad the guy's landlord is selling the property, but maybe the new owners will let him keep the business there. So much there, I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build

We've got a salvage barn near here but the guys are pricks and want stupid money for everything. It suck because they've been there for years and have a huge old ware house with 3 floors of vintage wrecks. Crazy. alot of it is picked over but there is a lot of stuff in there.

anyway, point is, Good Score!!

New pics! Ok, well just some pics of the grinding and de-tabbing today, and one of the new tank being test fitted on there. BTW, a cb650 tank (pre-79) will NOT fit on a 79 750 frame without a little massage from a rubber hammer to get the bottom tunnel to clear the extra supports on the 750's backbone. Just a heads up...
Detabbed rear supports

HPIM2801.jpg

Pass. peg mounts and side cover mounts removed for new Ninja rearsets
HPIM2802.jpg

CB650 tank on the frame just to check the lines. Me likey...
HPIM2803.jpg

this ? is to any of ya'll experienced or did any of the following mods.
i had an early (cable pull carbs) cb 750 and didn't like the way it handled in slo/med speed coners.
seemed to want to "fall in".
had a friend who had a cb500 that didn't do that so i got a cb550.
found a deal on a salvage 73', improved model.
mechanical linkage carbs.
my buddy and i got to talkin' & thinkin' and came up with putting a 550 triple tree w/750 forks.
and a 550 swingarm with 750 schocks.
took care of the fall in deal.
we had done many other things.
if anyone interested i can provide.

my ?....

anybody ever experienced or did the mods and what their result was.

i did mine in early 70's.

bike is pictured in my avater and below.
others avail.

redeye.........db

Redeye: I also noticed the "fall-in" of the stock 750 front shocks in low speed corners. I didn't think anything of it at the time, I mean it's a 30 year old bike with 30 year old suspension! But the new shocks going on are from a 82 Nighthawk and are not only air-adjustable but also have the TRAC adjustable anti-dive system on them. I'm thinking this will pretty much eliminate any and all fall-in situations for the front. I'm also running a pair of Progressive shocks in the rear which work great, I've never had the rear want to slip out early or not bite when accelerating out of a corner, but I didn't really have time to push the bike when I got it because it needed some work and I only rode it for about 200 miles before the teardown. So hopefully when I get it done I won't have to do a lot of suspension fine-tuning.

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build (Lots of new pics!)

Anything else other then the rubber mallet needed to get that tank on the frame? ;D

I'm working on an 81F and really starting to lose faith in my ideas on how to hide the ugly back end (where it meets up with the stock side panel).

Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Thanks

Hoss: At this point that seems to be the only downfall to the 650 tank. The bolt hole in the back of the tank lines up nicely with the stock tanks mounting point. Also, the stock locking cap transfers straight over from the 750's tank to the 650 tank.

As some of you who tried to help me know, my floats were screwed, so I have to buy 2 new ones, as well as other crap like bowl gaskets, drain screws and float needles (BTW, the Keihin CV42A carbs have non-adjustable floats/needles as far as I can tell). So if you're running these and your float tabs look like the following, just buy some new ones... (Look for the really nasty looking black spot on the tab, almost looks like it was melted :eek: ??)

Badfloat.jpg

One can never have enough parts for these old carbs laying around.

Great work. Digging it.

Sittin around the house. Wife went out with girlfriends, time for me to play...
New seat pan (rough cut)
Photoon2011-01-11at1914.jpg

Another view
Photoon2011-01-11at1911.jpg

I know it looks like crap, hell it's not even straight, but it's a start, and by the time it's done it won't be seen anyway!! Ha!

Glad to see it coming along man! also glad my tail is flat :p

Yeah, it'd be nice if the tail was flat(ter), but with it the way it is, my plans for the rear might work out better. Did a little cleaning and some preliminary painting today. Trying to decide on a final color plan for all the different parts, with red/black being the 2 dominant colors right now. Here's a few quick shots of the paint from today:
Rear drum cover

HPIM2804.jpg

Rear sets (blasted beforehand)
HPIM2805.jpg

Front sprocket cover
HPIM2806.jpg

This was using the Duplicolor Metalcast paint. It's supposed to look anodized. To me, it really does. Only bad thing is that if the surface is not 100% absolutely free from defects, they will show up like a bright red dot in snow. The rear sets were blasted and after the Metalcast paint, looked almost powdercoated with a nice gloss finish. I might just blast everything down and paint them again so they all match. Either way, it looks good to me, and now that stuff is being painted, I feel like this project is starting to come together.

I always wondered how well that paint looked. I like it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah, the paint looked good a few hours ago, now it looks great! After it cured, it got a bit darker and developed a really shiny gloss finish. But, like I said, the blasted then painted parts, to me anyway, just seemed to look better than the ones that were polished and then painted. So, this week will be spent blasting ALL the engine covers and prepping them for the painting party this weekend. I also plan on degreasing the engine and prepping it for some new hoses, clamps, paint, fluids, gaskets, etc. Still working on the calipers (ugh) and thinking of just buying a new MC as mine looks like someone took a Dremel and a burr bit to the metal part of the reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom