1977 Suzuki GS750 Resto-Mod

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
Starting with this pretty clean 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I picked up from DTT'er CharlieT. Odometer is dead, and reads 13,xxx. Not sufe of actual mileage. She starts first kick (or push of the button), is basically rust free and has been a blast on the twisty PA back roads.

So... The basic plan. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Newer, better performing front end. Updated rear shocks and swingarm. 17" sportbike wheels. Better brakes. Fix the dodgy wiring "fixes" that I found. All in all... Just make it handle better and clean it up. No cutting, no extreme modifications, no custom blah blah blah... All bolt on or simple upgrades.

While all this is going on (over the winter, too much fun riding to do anything currently) I'll clean up and inspect the motor as well. I have a stock airbox on the way so that'll go back in and I'll build a baffle for the now EXTREMELY LOUD open V&H pipe.

Attachments

• received_996109260413582-1.jpg
    received_996109260413582-1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 1,366
Shooting for something along these lines when it's all done next spring...

Attachments

• bikepics-2268928-full.jpg
    bikepics-2268928-full.jpg
    934.6 KB · Views: 374
Yep, sign me up.

Any idea what swingarm / forks / wheels you're looking at Mike?

Big Rich said:
Yep, sign me up.

Any idea what swingarm / forks / wheels you're looking at Mike?

Still digging around for info Rich. I know the Bandit 600/1200 front end is a popular update. I have a 90s era GS500 swinger that might get modified to run dual shocks and fit the frame. All in all, I'm still figuring it all out though.

Diggin it. Ill be following along. Have a bunch of parts that i wont be using. Let me know what else you need. Airbox will go out tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The B12 front end is usually a good option if you need longer forks (like I did on the GR). If you can fit a Katana / GSXR front end, I'd recommend it since they are more available.

I can help much with the swingarm though. I don't pay much attention to what fits the 750. I did right down the dimensions of the GS500 swingarm.... it's in that thread that Brad started.

Pilgrim9283 said:
Diggin it. Ill be following along. Have a bunch of parts that i wont be using. Let me know what else you need. Airbox will go out tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again fella.

Big Rich said:
The B12 front end is usually a good option if you need longer forks (like I did on the GR). If you can fit a Katana / GSXR front end, I'd recommend it since they are more available.

I can help much with the swingarm though. I don't pay much attention to what fits the 750. I did right down the dimensions of the GS500 swingarm.... it's in that thread that Brad started.

I'm hoping to keep everything simple, so I'll be following the norm on this one. Buy parts, bolt on, ride. So... I know the Katana/GSXR forks will work well. Likely going that (or the Bandit) route. I'm juat going to be copying off of those who've gone before. :)

Nice. Looks like the GL550 i just nabbed has the exhaust from the 750. Got a similar idea in mind, I'm in.

Where'd you find the baffle? Mine's MIA as well

adventurco said:
Nice. Looks like the GL550 i just nabbed has the exhaust from the 750. Got a similar idea in mind, I'm in.

Where'd you find the baffle? Mine's MIA as well

EBAY second hand. You can still order them from V&H as well.

Back
Top Bottom