CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: 665----667---------Neighbour's of the Beast

Had a busy day,Home Despo, bought new battery for mower and mowed the weeds (and some grass ;D), new motion detector porch light bought and fitted, shined up clutch cover for 360.
Not too happy with it as there are some pretty deep scratches I didn't get out (to left of 'H')
It was pretty bad from an accident (well before I got hold of it.)
'H' is still damaged but I too out the real deep marks above, below and to rear of it
This is 'off the mop', needs a clean soft rag to remove the polish
CB360clutchcover.jpg

Looks real shiny, even with the polish on it. Going to come out real nice.

Motor is almost finished, waiting for clutch cover and oil line
Bought some scrap CB360 bits off eBay to cut up and check a few things were possible before I messed up good stuff
Did a little bit of modding to primary drive gear, clutch is also modified and fitted with CB350 'race' springs
Pic of rusty drive gear on left, (bottom side has been ground at angle) and modified almost new gear.
Next one I do will be at a different (steeper) angle if this one holds up
CB360primarygear1.jpg

Pardon my ignorance PJ, but what's the purpose of cutting the corners off?

Either way, it looks good.

That sir is for when you are serious about weight reduction and a true "race" engine.....very nice PJ...I have not seen someone do this in a very long time....as a matter a fact, I have never seen someone do it, only ones that were done in the 60's and 70's that had been torn down for rebuild.

Absolutly awesome!

*bows to you because you sir are THE MAN!*

crazypj said:
I been making them, should have 'stadardised on a thread though ;D (well I sort of did, just wasn't smartest idea to use 10x1.25 because I have bunch of engine bolts, etc)

Ain't got into dampers yet, been busy doing other stuff (mostly machining and polishing covers)
Won't be puling them apart for at least another week.
I will probably make a one piece lower spring seat/mounting fork.
Clutch cover is drilled and tapped for oil line, going to make some fittings when its back on motor
Going to put valves back into head later and get top end buttoned up, curved 'wedges' I made should re-locate cam back in correct position but I'll degree it anyway
I did finally finish fork brace though, put pic in machining thread
It really is an incredibly nice piece of kit, I almost want to frame it 8)
CB360forkbrace-finallyfinished.jpg

Wanna share the drawings for this?

Drawings?
What drawings?
Almost everything I make is unique, this has no drawings, I just made it, and, it kept evolving until I liked the look of it

After spending entire day (less visit to doctor) 360 is about 50% done.
Forks swapped for stock 33mm, swing arm, shocks, etc fitted, stock fenders front and rear, stock (rusty) steel wheels, stock bars.
Can't find brake pedal and rod, I have 4, so, they must be real 'safe' ::)
Stock 360 motor is in (didn't think bump start only would be a good idea? ;), I'll use it in 'Track Bike'
There is no engine number on out of state title, Florida requires one so I'll have to start over on 'new' motor when it's in my name.
Not a total disaster though, there were a few things I wanted to do to 'next one'
Hoping to have it running tomorrow afternoon, as long as I can find the little irritating stuff

PJ

good luck PJ!

funny thing with the primary drive gear... i had been dreaming of cutting my gears like that for the past 5 days!

wouldnt it make more sense to more heavily modify the higher gears (3-5 (6 in your case)) since they see less torque?

im guessing you turned those gears on a lathe?

hmmm... i could try to do it with a file :D

Geez PJ, you're hitting just about every obstacle possible on this bike. Hope you don't lose the determination to get this thing done, it will be a great bike when you get finished.

Starting Over

Well, I got carbs cleaned, wiring installed, new(ish) battery, everything works.
'New' horn has been re-mounted properly :D
It's pretty much back to 1974/75 stock spec.
Didn't fit toolbox or air filters (I don't have any side panels/frame covers)
I've been working on it as much as possible, in between other things ::)
Had to rent a storagfe unit to have some space to work (moved 3 bikes out of garage)
Fitted different engine, don't know when it was last run, (1970's?) but, it run about 20 mins ago (haven't even changed the oil ;D)
It's a bit rattly but I will re-build it as soon as It's titled in my name
Going to rattle can the tank red as tag office was pretty weird last time I was there and I don't want it registered as green
Here's pics of $275.00 bike, will post more later (the chrome isn't as nice as it looks in pictures)
CB360-startingover1.jpg

CB360-startingover5.jpg

CB360-startingover2.jpg

CB360-startingover3.jpg

Re: Starting over

Sorry to hear about the title troubles. At least here in PA, we KNOW we are getting screwed without a title well in advance.

So what are you gonna do? Search for a titled frame?

PJ - Would it help at all if you had a valid registration and BOS from a non title state? You mentioned that FL may be especially hard on vehicles coming in from out of state so it may not work but I can very easily register the bike here in Maine and then send you the valid registration signed over to you with a notarized BOS which would denote the engine and frame numbers.

If interested pm me.

Re: 1975 CB360-Starting over

As good as the DMV's forged signature detection is (by eyeball), I don't think they give two hoots who wrote the bill of sale...

midnightcafe said:
As good as the DMV's forged signature detection is (by eyeball), I don't think they give two hoots who wrote the bill of sale...

+1, I am not saying I have done it, but I do know that a forged BOS will work in Florida and Alabama......as long as all the blanks are filled out, they really don't look at it to check the authinticity of the signatures!

ouch pj... hope you get that BOS soon and heal twice as fast!

looking forward man...

PJ, you strike me as a pretty unflappable guy. You'll push through this and be good as new in no time. Hang in there! I'd imagine it would take a lot more than this to slow you down for long.

crazypj said:
I guess Florida is trying to prevent old vehicles being re-registered?

it seems like any state is trying to prevent old vehicles from being registered... I'm sure the car company lobbyists and environazis were in kahoots on this one, unfortunately those of us who can't or won't buy a new prius or new cycle for commuting will probably drive an older gas guzzler... but big brother knows best after all

PJ, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, many CB350 racers remove 1 of the two primary gears and one of the two clutch gears to reduce weight.

So I'm guessing that it would be OK to grind off half the width of the teeth

teazer said:
PJ, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, many CB350 racers remove 1 of the two primary gears and one of the two clutch gears to reduce weight.

So I'm guessing that it would be OK to grind off half the width of the teeth

thats not a half bad idea... those things weigh a ton!

Back
Top Bottom