Build Project 1978 GS550

Hey - been enjoying your videos :)

I was going to comment on your YouTube channel but couldn't log in for some reason.

Anyway, you are missing at least one locating dowel / pin for the stator cover. There are 2 larger holes up near the top of the cover and corresponding holes on the crankcase where the dowels reside. You need them to ensure the cover is perfectly positioned so the stator works properly. Not 100% if they ran two dowels or just one, but you need at least one.

Keep up the good work - the motor looks nice.

hillsy said:
Hey - been enjoying your videos :)

I was going to comment on your YouTube channel but couldn't log in for some reason.

Anyway, you are missing at least one locating dowel / pin for the stator cover. There are 2 larger holes up near the top of the cover and corresponding holes on the crankcase where the dowels reside. You need them to ensure the cover is perfectly positioned so the stator works properly. Not 100% if they ran two dowels or just one, but you need at least one.

Keep up the good work - the motor looks nice.

You were the only one who caught it!!! Good job. You may know by now that caught the error myself and rectified in the following episode. Thanks for looking out for me! :)

Urban Monk said:
Episode 26. Welding the other header to accept Dunstall mufflers, sealing cracks in ignition coils, and some more talk about lines and proportions using the Golden Ratio... 1.618.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-HVrdRBeak

Cool videos. Mirrors all the stuff I'm going through now on a Bandit.

Very cool using the golden ratio. I never even thought of that but I'm going to have to bust out my tape and see what I've got on my build.

What do you call those cadmium plated tubing shims? I've never seen them before. Where do you get them?

Ride said:
Cool videos. Mirrors all the stuff I'm going through now on a Bandit.

Very cool using the golden ratio. I never even thought of that but I'm going to have to bust out my tape and see what I've got on my build.

What do you call those cadmium plated tubing shims? I've never seen them before. Where do you get them?

Thanks! I got the idea for the golden ratio from Racer TV. He did a couple episodes on it - guessing two years ago. Worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_rnmB2RBI Makes sense. That ratio shows up in nature over and over and countless artists have used it. And I've always been a huge fan of the Porsche 911 and Jaguar E-Type so I figured I can't go wrong.

The galvanized tubing inserts were cut by me from a small exhaust pipe adapter I purchased at my local auto parts store. They are nicely organized by their ID and OD dimensions so I just used my caliper to get the ID I needed and then purchased an adapter with the corresponding OD and cut a couple small pieces off.

I dig Bandits. Good fodder for a custom build IMO. Enjoy your journey!

Back
Top Bottom