Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

MatthiasSalzburg

Been Around the Block
Finished it late September, early October 2013. Summer 2014 riding update at the end of this thread.

14589702976_4fff6e827d_z.jpg

This is the first bike build that I'll have ever done. I've built several experimental airplanes, race cars, old scooters, but never built or customized a motorcycle.

I'm starting with a 1973 Honda CB 350.

The other two are a 1948 Overland 200cc scooter and a 1980 CB125.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: just the basics for now

I tore the motor apart and it's looking pretty good. Just a slight amount of sludge in the bottom of the case.

The oil filter had only a bit of aluminum between the ribs. The motor has 20k on it, but I wanted to rebuild it to make sure it's 100% top shape.

CB350 engine case by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Good score on the CB. I have an earlier CL model and would love to have that disc brake up front. I really like that motorized bike too. Is that an Indian moped tank on there?

I bought some CB450 front forks. I'd like to use my existing 36 spoke front hub and stock brake caliper. It looks like I need a larger diameter rotor. A CB450 front rotor would be perfect if it only worked with my 350 hub. However it's a 6 bolt design and not the smaller 4 bolt design. I would consider lining up two holes and drilling two new ones, but none of the holes match up. The inside diameter of a 450 rotor hat is much larger than the 350 rotor I have.

Does anyone know where I can get a larger front rotor? I really don't want to source a 450 hub and switch to 40 spoke rims.

I've seen that a Ninja EX500 rotor has the same 6 bolt mount pattern for the rotor hat as a CB350/360. However it looks like the Ninja rotor has a more narrow pad area.

Ninja rotors and calipers are fairly cheap on ebay so it might not be too difficult to make something work. Yet I'd still like to use my stock caliper.

Curious if anyone else has done this before? (I think djelliott has)

Did some polishing this week. 320, 400, 600 grit sand paper and then the 6" buffing wheel.

Spent the weekend cleaning 30 year old dirt and grease from the frame. Took my cutoff wheel and removed all unnecessary tabs. Also ground down some seams in prep for welding the frame.

Got my tank cleaned up. Still need to flush it and seal the inside. Will start on prep for paint soon.

im digging the old whizzer style motorcycle in the background!

MatthiasSalzburg said:

I hear those purple tanks are a pretty rare color! don't change it! if you go with a different color scheme, find yourself a different tank to hack up. lol

A tad late on the tank comment... lol what are you planning on doing with the old purple one?

KaaoSkitzofreniK said:
A tad late on the tank comment... lol what are you planning on doing with the old purple one?
Selling it. I already have a new larger tank that I'm using. The purple one is in great shape. The only issue is the key opening on the cap lock is wallowed out but still works. Either replace the lock or just use as is.

MatthiasSalzburg said:
Did some polishing this week. 320, 400, 600 grit sand paper and then the 6" buffing wheel.

Clutch cover and fork looking good. How long did you spend sanding them down with the sandpaper?

socalmike_cb72 said:
Clutch cover and fork looking good. How long did you spend sanding them down with the sandpaper?

I think it was one evening for each item. But I had never polished forks before. I was experimenting with different sand paper and when to stop sanding and start polishing. I think an energetic young person could sand and polish a set of forks in one evening.

Back
Top Bottom