XV920 "Short Bus"

I am. I think that I'm probably going to run this thing to Kentucky and back in May and then see how much I can get out of it.

If it turns out that it's a hoot to ride and I hang on to it then I'll see if I can't put enough dough away to do a front-end swap and find a spoked rear hub.

I have the seat subframe all done at this point - for the moment this project has taken a backseat to getting the XV750 I bought at the same time ready to sell. I wrapped the new wiring harness on that up last night and will be putting the whole thing back together with the goal of putting it on Craigslist next week.

New exhaust gaskets on; Edelbrock Qwiksilver carb mounted. The rear fender is going to be a pain in the ass to mount - the rear cylinder exhaust runs through the swingarm.

lBo6JjFl.jpeg

Now to build a wiring harness...

What's with the tiny head light ? A little undersized if you ask me. Alternatively, nobody really asked me.

For the rear fender, mount it the same as the chain drive model did. 2 tabs on the upper swingarm, 2 stays at the back, going down to the swingarm and bolting to 2 tabs just above the axle slot (or locating hole, in your case). You should be able to find some photos of the mounting on the web and you have the equipement to weld 4 tabs if you need to.
Nice project.
Pat

manas said:
What's with the tiny head light ? A little undersized if you ask me. Alternatively, nobody really asked me.

Matches my tiny head.

pacomotorstuff said:
For the rear fender, mount it the same as the chain drive model did. 2 tabs on the upper swingarm, 2 stays at the back, going down to the swingarm and bolting to 2 tabs just above the axle slot (or locating hole, in your case). You should be able to find some photos of the mounting on the web and you have the equipement to weld 4 tabs if you need to.
Nice project.
Pat

Thanks paco - I had hoped to avoid the stays as I really like the simplicity of the swingarm. I may not have much choice in the matter, though.

You could mount a short fender back there as more of a hugger. It's not like carbs are in any danger of road debris....

Swagger said:
You could mount a short fender back there as more of a hugger. It's not like carbs are in any danger of road debris....

I had hoped to put the taillight and plate out at the end of the fender. I may just skip it and hope that the seat pan is sufficient in keeping my tuckus dry, and figure out another way to mount that stuff.

MJPriceisright said:
digging that carb setup brooo, are you gonna loosen up those triples and bring the front down a touch?

My irritation with the long forks comes in second to my hatred of tubes pulled through the trees. If I end up loving the ride on this silly thing then I'll put some cash away and redo the front end entirely.

Rich Ard said:
My irritation with the long forks comes in second to my hatred of tubes pulled through the trees. If I end up loving the ride on this silly thing then I'll put some cash away and redo the front end entirely.

blah blah just do it.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3645919866.html

Take a look at the early UK / EU TR1 rear guard.

It is virtually a hugger with minimal wire stays. I'll try to find a pic.

tr1.jpg

This is the part where I pout and say "but I don't WANT fender stays"

Something like that but cut off at 12o'clock with a second bracket on the top of the swingarm would do it without stays. I'll be doing that on mine....

Rich Ard said:
tr1.jpg

This is the part where I pout and say "but I don't WANT fender stays"

"Thanks paco - I had hoped to avoid the stays as I really like the simplicity of the swingarm. I may not have much choice in the matter, though."

It was just a suggestion in view of the above statement - pout away.

Seca front end is a bolt on and is 1.75" lower.

Just another option. Nice work so far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rich Ard said:
Ha - thanks Beachcomber. Those are pretty simple.

Rich - being serious for a mo - I might HAVE to fit a guard of some sort - which I absolutely do not want to do. It will come off again after the MOT anyway, but will have to be re-fitted for the following year's test.

I thought that the early TR1 blade could be shortened [ it's plastic ] and those stays are pretty slim. Just a last ditch solution.

Swagger said:
Something like that but cut off at 12o'clock with a second bracket on the top of the swingarm would do it without stays. I'll be doing that on mine....

Just saw a pic of yours and I am disappointed to see that mine will be the second Virago with this tank on it. Dammit! :)

I'm running the stock tank for this season...if that's any consolation.....

Back
Top Bottom