The Amalgam: honda past meets present, take 2! or 3?

XS750AU said:
I feel your pain.

I mean don't get me wrong, I like mig, expecially when doing shit like this because if my cut is off you should see the shit I can fill with a mig. And I don't know if anyone has had the same experience but I find Migging stainless with Flux core wire is a pain in the balls to begin with. It also doesn't help that the wire is too thick and I have to keep the heat/feed higher than I'd like. But fuck it's ugly. I'm sitting there grindIng and sanding my face off to make it look nice. When all is done the end result is the same, but talk about a complicated way to get there. And all this is so I can try and keep the 02 sensor, otherwise i'd be done with it already. What I did was chop up the cat, and i'm trying to use part of it to create a kinda manifold transition 2 into 1, keep the o2 sensor bung in there. I'll take photos today. And for anyone interested, I'm planning on modifying and keeping that exhaust shield,

:'( I do a lot with mig (a tig is still on the wish list) I can weld most things but I find there is usually much grinding also!!!!
I am enjoying your build, great project

So a friend of mine is working with me to launch a parts line, and we have been identifying parts that are offered but ugly, or not available and needed. One of them was to make a sexy triple clamp. We came up with a pretty rad design, based on a cb350 front end, and unbeknownst to me he sends me this today . Guess its going on this bike lol. If anyone wants one, i am going to price out making a run of them, but it's a lot of intense 3d machining, they are going to be pricey unless i other 100 of them. This is obviously the bottom, wait til you see the top!

Attachments

• IMG_53741.jpg
    IMG_53741.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 257
Alright so i played with srpockets, chain, clearances and alignment today. In short, i now hate the fucking bike. I tried out the 360 swingarm, and all that did was make it harder to route the chain. In the end the winning setup was 450 swinger, 7mm offset sprocket, skateboard wheel to help the chain clear, and i still have to adjust a couple of engine spacers by 3/32 for the whole thing to work. What a pain in the ass.

In the end i wom, then really won when i went to see this triple. Thing look amazing cant wait to have it on the bike.

Attachments

• 20170809_172838.jpg
    20170809_172838.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
  • 20170809_183215.jpg
    20170809_183215.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
  • 20170809_183243.jpg
    20170809_183243.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265
Just making a revised punchlist for everything that needs to be done before teardown. I'm revising my time table, want this done by Oct 30, since I may try to put it in the NYC motorcycle show Dec 1st.

Measure for custom intake (3dprint)
measure for custom battery box cover (3d print)
finish exhaust
screw with sprocket alignment just a tad more
get modified tank back and test fit
Check torque values on bolts around the motor, fill with fluids
test run the motor (and hope like hell it runs)
Eliminate sensors one at a time, see if it still runs ( keeping on with the whole hope like hell thing)
button it up and take it down the block, very slowly

It think that's all that's left for fab work. Setting goal of Sept 1st to finish all that. Then comes the fun of breaking it all down and doing the finish work. Assuming I can get that done in 30 days, that gives me 30 to assemble. That sounds doable.

Well my first attempt at a collector is in the garbage. That's 8 hours I won't get back. It would have functioned just fine, but it was fuckin ugly. I already started on a different design I'm semi confident will work better. I am also submitting to the tig gods and either going to buy one, our going have a local welder weld it up easter it's all tacked together. I really want to do it all myself, but the mig just won't do it clean enough.

3rd times a charm.

Attachments

• 20170815_131121.jpg
    20170815_131121.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 250
  • 20170815_131116.jpg
    20170815_131116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249
clem said:
Nothing wrong with that man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Thanks, it's also far from done yet. I have to pieces the transition in yet, but the y from 2 into 1 came out clean. I have to sand it out more, but it will be almost seamless.

XS750AU said:
What did you use to make the bends? ???

The first part of the header is the factory exhaust, then I took a 45's I bought and cut them til they fit right. Next I mitered them into a y, and the current part is a piece of the tubing I bought, cut in half and hammered out to widen to the larger tubing, which is also from the factory header. That part may change yet, but I'm waiting til the muffler I ordered gets here to do much more. The y is where I was most concerned. Migging that was slightly ridiculous.

Very clean! I love the sweeping look, very organic and pleasing to the eye... stellar job man, I wish someone would make cb350/450/500 twin exhaust like this in stainless. Something sorta in between scrambler and standard exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

dakine_surf said:
Very clean! I love the sweeping look, very organic and pleasing to the eye... stellar job man, I wish someone would make cb350/450/500 twin exhaust like this in stainless. Something sorta in between scrambler and standard exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thanks man, if Dime city ever gets back to me about when my muffler is going out I can finish it. Thanks to Ncologerojr my tank now has a fuel pump, all cleaned up, and ready to be lined, and body worked. I'll post more photos once it's here, but looks like he did a fantastic job!

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 243
Wow that is major modification. I never really thought about the real estate those pumps take up until you see it and an older style tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

That's a beast of a pump.
Gravity is dead, long live fuel injection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol!

My friend and i worked on measurments for the intake and some other 3d printed stuff. Also turns out my minor chain issue was the skateboard wheel is too narrow, ordered a wider one.

Back
Top Bottom