CX500 "Bastardwing" - 24th June - It caught fire!!

Re: CX500 "Bastardwing" - 28 Feb. Running, assembled and I'm in love...

Well I was going to wait until the pipes were done in black but I can't help myself. It's going to be a little while before I get to do them so I may as well put up some glory shots.

There's still some work to do so she's by no means complete, but the final vision is there. I've been riding this bike almost daily for 2-3 weeks now and am thouroughly in love with it. I built (one of) my dream bikes(s).

shot_1362030766122_zps273b33db.jpg

shot_1362030753198_zpsd40edab3.jpg

shot_1362030716177_zpsbfa957b5.jpg

It's about time! :)

Looks great Paul. Glad you finally get to ride around on this bike.....you've been working on it for quite some time now.

hehe... quite some time= 3.3 years ;)

Yeah, I do have lots of video that hasn't been edited up yet. I may just skip it all and make one of the finished jobbie.

Holy crap Paul! That's awesome dude. I love that thing. Decked out with your panniers, it is gonna rock!!!

Yes sir, looks fantastic. Glad that you have your beard in the breeze, mate.

Cheers guys. ;)

Looks the business Staffy!

Re: CX500 "Bastardwing" - 31st March - New video and the Bastardwing is finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt50InlDXA

Re: CX500 "Bastardwing" - 31st March - New video and the Bastardwing is finished!

Good on ya mate, she turned out beautiful.

Now ride the wheels off of her.

Believe me I have been. Done the ton already (well almost).

That's awesome Paul! Congrats.

Very cool. Love that fairing.

Really nice results looks like it will be a great touring bike. Looks like tons of fun

I got to work today and killed the engine. I realised there was smoke, coming form under the seat.

I unlocked the seat, ripped it off and promptly put some flames out with my glove (it survived).

The end result is that the plug for the three stator wires is toast (I'll be soldering it this time) but the two wires for the heated grips that got attacked have enough length to be reshortened. The taillight section of the loom still works (even though it started to bear wiring in one or two spots which will need redoing) and the wheel guard is toasted.

Here's a few happy snaps:

The overall damage (which is not as bad as it looks).

20130624_075739_zps713363dc.jpg

The taillight section which just survived:

20130624_165952_zps38ddf753.jpg

The toasted stator-ignitech plug:

20130624_170041_zpsa93aed4a.jpg

And the obligatory tow shot:

20130624_101824_zpsdad2e305.jpg

That sucks mate, one of my nightmares bike wiring catches on fire when riding it. lucky you got it in time before any other further damage could be done.

Back
Top Bottom