newest build for customer (DONE)

JRK5892

Over 1,000 Posts
well i figured it was only right that i keep you guys informed on the process i am making with a current customer build. I am building this bike in parts. doing the front end and working back. THis will ensure that the bike has a good flow to it. he has alot of nice stuff on this scoot, and alot of hard to find chrome. so i am trying to keep a good balance that will really make his paint pop. started out up front and am working my way back. got the front end all torn apart, and powdered. will go back together this fri with new fluids in the forks, new seals, and poly riser bushings. also got a little somehting up my sleeve for the forks. Neither himself or I where a big fan of the top mount headlight. so i drilled out his lower tree, made a 3/4 in headlight block, then i will be putting a stock dyna headlight on there with a frenched in trim ring, will really clean up the front. the old headlight mount i am going to use as a bracket to make a custom pannel for his indicator lights. anyway... here is the progress

this is what it started as... custom painted 96 dyna. evo motor. has raked out tree kit on it
m-i-k-e-albums-m-i-k-e-s-p-i-c-s-picture8151-img-0639-ol-96er.jpg

2d7ttft.jpg

bucket-o-parts for powder
2yzlpoj.jpg

drilling out the tree for the headlight mount
2h84sat.jpg

parts all powdered up ready for install
zs9oo.jpg

Re: newest build for customer

well... got the front end on... the trees where covered in shit chrome... so we ended up stripping it and putting 2 coats of primer, sanding that down, and coating it in black... every part is black... even the spacers and washers... does not even look like the same front end... still have to wire the head light and internal on the bars... but WOW does this sucker look wicked! used over sized fork boots on the tubes to tie in the oversided tubes... looking awesome mike! your going to dig it!!!!

new fork seals, 15/10w blend oil, poly riser bushings...all installed and ready to rock
notice i got rid of the top mount headlight, now it is mounted to the lower tree, i am going to fab up a indicator light display for the bike still... coming along! be riding by thanksgiving!!!

2nqfm2a.jpg

300fnf8.jpg

250oxs1.jpg

Last night i was able to tackle the job of internally wiring the bars. First i taped the bars to protect the powder coat. then mounted up the bars to see where i needed to drill, I drilled and shaved holes in the bars, from there i blew some string through, hooked that to the wires and pulled them through, prior to pulling them through i always do 2 coats of tight shrink wrap, it helps to protect the wires but also makes it a bit easier to pull through when they are nice and tight.

then it was solder time! each wire is soldered and wrapped and then a shrink wrap sleeve goes over them all... came out great.

it was not midnight yet so i soldered up the leadlight and buttoned that up, then put on the new gloss black powdered control covers...

this sucker is looking wicked... should have the rest of the powder work done shortly and her back on the road!

risers, and new bushings... we even powdered the washers for the busings... little details make all the diff!
2j31ic0.jpg

profile (sorry crap cell pic this morning on my way out) Primary and the rest of the bike is all getting torn down Thurs night!
syngba.jpg

no wires to be seen! so so clean! wet black control covers, all the rest of the levers and everything
2mqpz5c.jpg

next pic will be of her on the table off the lift for the rest of the tear down!

That is awesome service Joe. Just drop the bike off and pick up a whole different bike a few weeks later. Looks so much better already. Really nice work. Just awesome! While you've got it you may do the customer a favor and measure the trail for him. As I'm sure you know raked trees are really meant to correct trail problems. However, I think as long as the trail #s are ok and its within 5 deg of stock it will be ok but I'm not sure. I Just thought I'd throw that out there. Like I said though really nice work and it does look 100% better already, imho. Keep it up!
Troy

yep, this set up was made for this bike, the +3 tubes and all, to take in for any FLOP that may occur they are wide glide trees... she is stabil as a semi on the road... sharp bike, once i am done with it at least! ;)

Cool man. I agree with the sharp once you are done. Didn't care for it all when it arrived, but now it is looking so much better. Really nice job!

Yeah, Joe, the black is really gonna set that bike off...it takes it out of the category of Harley's that I loathe and puts it into one that I like. good job man!

And PS...I just bought an Ironhead, so I'll defend you a bit in the boards now....though your bike is WAAAAAY nicer than mine is right now!

Anyway, can't wait to see it finished man.

Hell ya man! i have worked on some killer ironheads!!!

Went home in on my lunch, tossed the lamp together... wow man it is looking good!
all blacked out bucket with blacked out french ring

2qcjuig.jpg

t8xc78.jpg

The build looks great. I love the boots on the +3 forks. Watch out your going to start a trend. (aka I might steal that idea.)

JRK5892 said:
from there i blew some string through, hooked that to the wires and pulled them through,

Next time try the pull chain from the ceiling fan in your living room. That stuff will snake around any crazy bar design and the wife loves it as you balance on the coffee table while promising to return it.

that is a sick ass idea! i would have never thought using chain!! i bet on some of the Z bars that would rock!!!

Last bit of it in for powder... back end all torn down for powder... after this batch that makes a total of 78 parts powdered on this bike from washers to primary... going to look wicked... the braded lines just pop on the front wiht the black behind it... specific things where left chrome... cause nothing looks better with black than chrome...

mb5tec.jpg

978hfn.jpg

the front end looks insane in person, just a night and day diff with the new stance, boots, bearings, seals, bushings, bars, lamp, and powder, after i put the front tire on and dropped it down, the decision was made to slide the tubes up one inch to level her out, actually looks great with the chrome fork tubes... left the stem nut chrome to flow well across the lower tree... the braided lines look awesome!
but my fav part so far is the new headlight... completely changed the bike
10z3fp0.jpg

I agree Joe. Looks so much better! Man that is so cool that you are doing all that work for that guy. I really hope you are being well paid. You are right about it being night and day difference.

well..... MORE black, this is about 1/4 of the 2nd round... thats alot of black...
xf6eco.jpg

Sean should have the rest knocked out today and we can get to re assembly!

also coated my sport bike header in high heat gloss black
2wqucl3.jpg

well got up a bit early today and Sean and i knocked out a bit more... done for the day, got to go eat! also got the wifes wheels stripped down and one blasted this morning... good day so far, she wants blacked out wheels for christmas... so blacked out wheels she gets! Happy thanksgiving!!

Round 2
qx5kxg.jpg

Man thats a lot of parts. Looking good.

Jay

And happy thanksgiving to our southern brothers. South of Canada that is ;)

The back end came together nicely.... looks great! blacked out alot on it, but still kept some chrome. The bike has a solid chrome pulley on it! just beautiful... so blacked out the swing arm, adju caps, shock mount covers, fender rail covers, plate mount and cover, passanger peg supports and belt guard... left chrome, the pulley, rear turn sigs/mounts, shocks, and caliper... just looks great! nothing looks better with black than chrome!
polished up the wheel a bit to get that new shine back.. here are some pics
(also got the Forward controls back on, and a few other odds and ends)

before:
2rqgkg7.jpg

now:
2ecj7gy.jpg

nyohz.jpg

29or8lw.jpg

new clutch cable came... FINALLY!!!! 22 pieces of powder put back on the bike...s hould be ready for pick up Friday! got a bunch done on the exhuast side as well but only had my cell... shop is a mess! got my cuzin over there now cleaning the hell out of it! I hate work in unorganized chaos!

got the primary and inner primary back on,
2dsfdw9.jpg

vpys0h.jpg

Looks great as usual Joe. What about the wheels? Laying some gloss on those would be tight!

he did not want me to touch the wheels. and to be honest, they are in AMAZING condition... he will prob change his mind when he picks it up and sees all the gloss... But instead i am goign to polish the hell out of them

well, she is ready to be dropped down and have fluids put in...
all that is left is: fluids (and the derby cover gasket) and a heat shield (had to recoat it due to a scratch i put in it when i dropped it in the street.... ya ya ya)

Idiot lights are capped marked and the "N" light is wired into the dash
2ur77mt.jpg

front end is on and fall away adjusted... i can not express how sick the spikes, black wheel spacers, and sliders look... just an awesome touch
5f3mkh.jpg

Pipes are on, battery box is on, all the rest of the blacked out parts are in, torque arm is in place, new exhaust gaskets are on (just need the shield)
34dphlz.jpg

I am going to run to HD and pick up the derby cover gasket after i get out of here, toss some new fluids in, drop her down and put her on the table so that i can give it a good full on detail job.. then the bike is done bud! came out sick!

snowing like a mo fo... the camera was in the truck so the lense is a bit foggy... i am going to bed, ill get some in the sun tomorrow
here are the few i snapped wiht the cold camera
2zh4lxi.jpg

rc7v42.jpg

oarmsp.jpg

20azz0x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom