The WTF am I doing... project

Sweet little build. You say you can't redo the uppers why is that? how did you make those bends in your pipes? I like the sweeping bends.

The leafs would be rad for sure... But if you go that route, I would think you are still going to need a shock to get the bike to stop bouncing. Otherwise, might just throw yer ass over the handlebars. And if it does, put it on youtube.....

If you go with leaves, find a friction dampener off a 20's automobile....or you can make your own with a lever/wooden blocks/bolts etc. would be killer. Or find a rotary dampener off a TL1000R zook and fit that ( seperate shock and dampener on the R )
Crappy image but it was the first one I found.....20's friction dampener....bit SteamPunk too....or is it DieselPunk ?
108554_2lo.jpg

Amazing build! Love it when people think outside the box.

Those leavesprings and that friction dampener are interesting.

Oh shit, you guys are describing an idea I put on paper like 3 months ago! I swear I drew up some plans for a bobber build that I plan on using leafs and a friction damper for the rear suspension! Damn, I wanted to be first! The difference is I have a plan for a diffent style damper I engineered myself, but I think I will keep those plans to myself for now.

m357.5 said:
If you go with leaves, find a friction dampener off a 20's automobile....or you can make your own with a lever/wooden blocks/bolts etc. would be killer. Or find a rotary dampener off a TL1000R zook and fit that ( seperate shock and dampener on the R )
Crappy image but it was the first one I found.....20's friction dampener....bit SteamPunk too....or is it DieselPunk ?
108554_2lo.jpg

Hahahaaa< you guys are awsome. I happen to have a TLS in the garage that I ride....I wont be tearing it apart though lol.

I picked up a mono shock for $20 from an R6 i think the guy said so I may try something along those lines...still not sure though.

Ill keep you all posted.

It occurs to me that you may be overlooking a fairly easy solution to your rear shock problems. What you have right now is too little damping and way too little spring because of the angle. Why not double the action with a cantilever linkage on each shock? Really simple, in essence it's a bar with three pivot points; the central one tied to the upper(umm...forward?) shock mount as you have them currently, the shock goes to the top point and a rod from the end of the swing arm goes to the lowest pivot hole. you get double the action at the shock the same action at the end of the swing arm.

Clear as mud?

Just a thought....

Back
Top Bottom