Handlebar question

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
Quickly looking through these posts, I realized that I haven't seen one bike in the chop/bob section that's using mini-ape bars or something that would normally be found on a chop/bob as far as handle bars. Is there a specific reason for that? I'm seeing alot of bikes that I think would benefit from using a more traditional-styled bar. I also see the words "bratstyle" thrown around alot; I'm not seeing alot of clip-ons around that site.

I'm useing superbike bend bars on mine. Main reason is that I dislike Apes/Mini Apes :p dont mean to bash anyones personal taste but they look like ass to me :D

I used SB bars to keep the profile low, to give the ilussion of the bike being longer.

m357.5 said:
I'm useing superbike bend bars on mine. Main reason is that I dislike Apes/Mini Apes :p dont mean to bash anyones personal taste but they look like ass to me :D

It all depends on the rider and their style IMO.. Personally, I wear dirty jeans and cons and prefer to have not washed my hair in three days to a "fresh & clean" feeling. Not to stereotype or anything but....most guys I see rolling with apes fit this bill. Or similar. Tat'd out, long beards, etc. Not that there aren't grungy dudes sporting Cafe's but the culture seems to dictate a cleaner look.

Strange...I wonder else we can tell about a man by the bars on his bike. LOL.

That being said, the next Bomber I build will have a set of drag/clip style bars. I think that lends itself to a much more aggressive stance and riding style. When I'm riding the Black Bomber I tend to find myself just cruising, not looking for trouble. When I get on a bike with a more a pronounced stance eg: one of our Cafe's, I can't help but rip the throttle. I'm pretty sure if the Bomber had low bars I'd be riding it the same..

Hmmm...maybe someone should do a study on the life expectancy of biker riders with Apes vs. other bars. I know everyone seems to think they're dangerous but that said I gotta wonder.

I'm actually toying with pulling the ape's I have off and installing a set of these for a while. We made up a few sets of 1" risers and have turned down the tube ends on the bars to 7/8 to accept all the stock Honda controls.

They're pretty wicked... But then again, I wear cons and don't wash my hair. ;)

J

In addition to GCC we're also going to be offering Biltwell so I've been equally toying with these. Again, with the 1" CB risers we have that bolt right into the stock CB tree you have lots of options for bars.

J

I'm tatted up, rarely shave and generally look like I rolled around on a greasy floor....but I still like my SB bars ;D

thewingdpiston said:
... I think that lends itself to a much more aggressive stance and riding style. When I'm riding the Black Bomber I tend to find myself just cruising, not looking for trouble...

I guess it depends on where you look ;D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqEGO51J78

you may want to fast forward to 00.41 to get to the actual riding.

arseholecustoms0011.jpg

I'm sure its the fact that this is primarily a cafe racer board...folks round these parts are just likely more comfortable with some lower bars.

I am considering apes but need a set in 7/8. Any idea as to who sells them? I like the bitwell zee bars.

i have a set of 7/8" window bars that would look awesome skinny'ed

007-2.jpg

$70 plus shipping

Here in Ontario, tall apes will get you unwanted attention from the fuzz.

I heard any bar that places your hands above your shoulders is not legal.

m357.5 said:
I'm tatted up, rarely shave and generally look like I rolled around on a greasy floor....but I still like my SB bars ;D

+1 to that! I hate apes. They make my back hurt. I had a Superglide with them for a while and it was just a ridiculous pain between the shoulder blades....I hate to say it, but clip-ons are more comfortable. But my Ironhead project will be sporting drags. i think it's just preference.

Troy, I like the bike they're laughing at. You know what it reminds me of....

I dig the patch, "Low MC Riders" ;D LOve that style of bike. It really does come down to personal choice. There are the purist who stay within the boundries and there are those who scribble outside the lines. I think the cartoon says it well.

DrJ said:
I heard any bar that places your hands above your shoulders is not legal.

Here in New Brinswick it is the same, any bars that place the hands above shoulder height is ilegal. So one guy could ride a bike, then loan it to his shorter buddy and that short guy would be ticketed.

Guys, none of the bars in these vids are above the shoulder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMuxosip9UI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHy8X1nxfrk
This one has like one guy with 'true' apes (above the shoulder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKJg1uC69bk

Sure, clip-ons and drag bars were used back in the day for drag racing, but I wouldn't say it was the norm on street bikes. I'm not an old timer, obviously, but I've done tons of research on custom bikes. I'm currently throwing around the idea to create a KZ dragbike for the salt-it will have clip-ons, but the decision is purpose over aesthetic.

Back
Top Bottom