Xj900 Yamaha

Kostadin

This is my Yamaha xj900 1984, is there anything else should i do on it?
8cf1680ddd06d78d514311926bef3860.jpg
6ef5c7a9b7c34a3cc974d193240165d6.jpg
97bd2bd6444eb3deb8ac749716d10cae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

when i saw the title of the post i wondered how well it would work and i'm pleasantly surprised though i would paint the seam round the bottom of the tank black to make it disappear as well as maybe doing a straight line of black across the dip at the bottom of the tank to make it flow with the frame rail that runs along under the seat, and maybe the knee panels in a lighter shade of grey/silver would look good. please don't take it as criticism, just my ideas. lovely work

though i would remove all the front braking components and see how far you could throw them into a nearby river, then replace them with much better stuff. i think R1 discs would bolt straight up and brackets to fit 4 or 6 piston calipers aren't hard to make. use the matching master cylinder to the calipers and it eliminates all the probs with the lever feeling wooden/soggy which can happen when changing calipers only, it would work infinitely better than the stock crap and make the front end look far more aggressive and purposeful

Nice job!

I agree with Spoty though would really help the lines if you cut the tank to suit the seat/frame line.
I'm no fabricator so I wouldn't tackle it myself, I'd try the satin black paint trick first then if it really looked the bolox then I'd take it to a shop to get the fab work done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the tank but the transition from tank to side cover could be better and yeah, painting the tank seam black is a good idea.

The tank ruins the seat....or the seat ruins the tank depending on which way you look at it.

XJ900 front brake is actually pretty good (I had 2 of them). XJ750 Seca front brake on the other hand was pretty ordinary......

hillsy said:
The tank ruins the seat....or the seat ruins the tank depending on which way you look at it.

XJ900 front brake is actually pretty good (I had 2 of them). XJ750 Seca front brake on the other hand was pretty ordinary......

pretty good is okay but have you tried 6 piston calipers on massive discs ? too much brakes is never enough (in theory anyway)

spotty said:
pretty good is okay but have you tried 6 piston calipers on massive discs ? too much brakes is never enough (in theory anyway)

Yes - I had a ZX9R at the same time as I had one of my XJ's.

Sure, the braking was "easier" on the K, but the XJ with dual twin piston calipers still stopped pretty well. They were leaps and bounds ahead of the earlier single piston sliding calipers.

spotty said:
when i saw the title of the post i wondered how well it would work and i'm pleasantly surprised though i would paint the seam round the bottom of the tank black to make it disappear as well as maybe doing a straight line of black across the dip at the bottom of the tank to make it flow with the frame rail that runs along under the seat, and maybe the knee panels in a lighter shade of grey/silver would look good. please don't take it as criticism, just my ideas. lovely work

though i would remove all the front braking components and see how far you could throw them into a nearby river, then replace them with much better stuff. i think R1 discs would bolt straight up and brackets to fit 4 or 6 piston calipers aren't hard to make. use the matching master cylinder to the calipers and it eliminates all the probs with the lever feeling wooden/soggy which can happen when changing calipers only, it would work infinitely better than the stock crap and make the front end look far more aggressive and purposeful
I know i have alot more to do but ty for all your ideas and critics. Im realy glad that i have so positive and bad compliments ita an iprovment for me. Cheers guys Spotty

I like the looks of it especially from behind, but...that tank needs something on the sides. It doesn't flow at all. I still have issues with my tank on my Virago and the lines flowing into the seat.

Other than that I do like it and think it is a good build.

Add some more pics. I would like to see the way it looks from the front.

Virago1113 said:
I like the looks of it especially from behind, but...that tank needs something on the sides. It doesn't flow at all. I still have issues with my tank on my Virago and the lines flowing into the seat.

Other than that I do like it and think it is a good build.

Add some more pics. I would like to see the way it looks from the front.
2ea36cac5cc506fbb137d0a06e636d42.jpg

Im going to work this winter on the front fork and tank, i will give my best. Ty

The seat hump could be a bit longer but the top arch does match the tank's top line, for me the transition from tank to side cover it the big issue, I really like the tank and colour. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom