1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
So a lot of you guys know that I picked up a BMW as a literal barn find a little while back. It had sat in a dilapidated house with a spark plug out of one cylinder since the 80's. It's 100% complete minus the side covers, and is in overall fair condition. The tins are straight with no dents. Everything aluminum has oxidized, and all of the raw steel has rusted. The plans are to restore it to factory condition with upgraded fork internals, hagon shocks, an upgraded charging system and CDI ignition, and a good set of panniers. I'm pretty motivated here lately to build a reliable road dog, and I think this will fit the bill nicely. I've been collecting bits and pieces. Scored an R75/5 top end for a little more grunt since one cylinder was completely rusted and pitted in the liner. Already scored a nice crash bar, Tim gave me a very nice condition factory seat, I've gathered stainless hardware to replace everything that was originally mild steel, and a few other bits and pieces. A friend Phillip Howard that I know down the street is a BMW lover and has the same year R60 in show room condition that gives me an excellent reference. I started digging in hard today.

Here is what it is supposed to look like. It was this original Monza blue confirmed by VIN search.

2986124-%2772-R75-5-Blue-Toaster-016.jpg

As I got it.

2012-06-21_11-54-29_266_zpscd6a2f43.jpg

2012-06-21_11-54-51_546_zps8572d389.jpg

2012-06-21_18-55-08_179_zps18f7f13b.jpg

Came with some cool Shoei panniers. I'd really like a set of Krausers for it.

2012-06-21_12-10-11_425_zpsa967fdaf.jpg

And todays progress. Lots of cleaning, degreasing and blasting to do, then it's off to powder.

2013-03-15_17-49-59_938_zpscaedee2e.jpg

2013-03-15_17-51-42_162_zpsacb917b5.jpg

2013-03-15_21-25-16_463_zpsfc779aa9.jpg

2013-03-15_21-37-49_918_zps8fc38947.jpg

Ordered a new (used) subframe for it today, because the original one was broken and re-welded badly. Thinking of sending the hubs off to Woody's wheel works to get the sealed bearing conversion done to them thanks to Tim's advice. They also resurface drums so will have that done as well. It will get re-laced with stainless spokes and the wheels altogether overhauled. Thanks for watching, this space will stay up to date as progress is made.

And all this time I thought BMW stood for Break ya Muthafukkin Wallet?! :D

Awesomesauce. Can't wait to ogle it while drinking a beer this October.

Redbird said:
And all this time I thought BMW stood for Break ya Muthafukkin Wallet?! :D

Trust me...it still does. Parts are retarded expensive....but good for 100k plus when maintained.

Kanticoy said:
...but good for 100k plus when maintained.
Vouch.
Years ago, a buddy of mine had an R90 (I forget what year. mid 70's?) that had well over 100k on it. He used to laugh and give me grief because my Honda CB900F needed a rebuild "at a mere 80k miles". :D
I got the chance to ride his R90 from our office to his house when he injured his back. Completely different world. It was crazy to me the way the bike torqued to the side when rev'ed in neutral.

As far as restoration goes, I think you could be forgiven for keeping the Mikunis. :D

Yep. Sign me up.

Although I have to warn you......you'll be bored with a restoration.

Yeah Sam, forget the Bing ticklers. Those things are hot garbage. I have a pair of vm32s and vm34s here, not really sure which one is appropriate for a 750 top end yet, haven't researched that far. This isn't going to be concourse with every nut and bolt being ordered straight from BMW. It's being built to be ridden. There are some tentative plans for a "northern loop" trip next year going through the blue ridge, on up into the NE and eventually ending in Toronto. I'll be snagging some dudes along the way I'm sure.

Rich, I hear ya buddy, I just can't hack this one. The way that I found it and the history behind it, plus this bike was designed to travel. I don't have a bike to just ride distances on, so this will fit the bill nicely. Sure I could go buy something new, but what's the fun in that? The way I see it, it will be a pretty quick project because it's basically a man's Lego set!

Tank looks crusty but the panels are in good shape - I'm looking forward to watching this one. Just a heads up, that bike looks even better with a hack. :)

Rich Ard said:

Yep, I'm thinking you're probably right. That's probably the route I'll be taking. And yeah, don't think I haven't thought about a hack. Now that the wife rides though, I'll be lucky to get her to swing a leg over the back!

Re: Re: 1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

Kanticoy said:
There are some tentative plans for a "northern loop" trip next year going through the blue ridge, on up into the NE and eventually ending in Toronto. I'll be snagging some dudes along the way I'm sure.

I'll head back South with you on mine from Toronto :)

Oh and I had read vm32s for the 750 which is what I have on mine. Havent got it tuned well yet though. Maybe I'll try the 34s off my xs to see if it helps but the kits you can buy typically spec the 32s.

I really like the old /5's. I just missed a great deal on one a couple years ago. I'll be watching this one with interest!

Ed

Thanks for the info Tim. All the info I've found indicates vm32s as well. I've got some already, never used. Just for anyone doing this in the future, you will need a press. It is seriously stuck together. Thought I broke it when it finally gave. Pulling the bearings and races now, then it's off to blast and powder.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363628075717.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363628075717.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 332
Nice, I will ride along some of your route, meeting spot will depend how NE you get ;D Looking great so far.

Kiley - talked to my pop a bit about this (he and some pals had a BMW shop in Colorado springs back in the day) and he said that the VM-26 was the way to go on the R60 - also that the Bing carbs are far easier to get set up and that he couldn't figure out why people were so intent on putting fancy shoes on a workhorse :)

Back
Top Bottom