cb 750, comstar to spoke wheels...

koendd

hi,

i have a 750 F2 originally with the comstars but now I've sourced some spoke wheels.

Foto0005_zpsd1506d9b.jpg

it does fit but the rotors are bigger in diameter and thickness. so calipers don't fit...
Also the speedo pickup is larger so it doesn't clear the forks completely...
Foto0006_zps1140d277.jpg

And the rotor on the spoke wheel is 6 bolt, the comstar is a five bolt...
Foto0007_zps9a21f5c2.jpg

Is there any way of adapting the wheels so I can fit the original rotors?

or should i machine the bigger rotors to the size of the comstar rotors?

thx in advance!

Christ almighty - were did you find that wheel? At the bottom of the ocean?

Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

You can run adaptor plates for the calipers to space them out to suit the bigger rotors. That's probably the easiest if everything else lines up.
Otherwise you could get some plates made up to convert your Comstar hubs to accept spokes. There was a guy on here that did that on a CX500. Basically it's 2 metal rings that bolt to the hub and you lace the spokes to them.

Either way, you will be starting with just a hub because those spokes and rim are fucked.

haha ;D

Well it sat in a lady's basement for quit a few years...
The hub was the reason I bought the wheel, i allready have a good rim, and will be ordering new spokes.

Actually haven't thought about making a bracket to allign the brakes, not a bad idea!

I also bought a box full of calipers, I think these are off a 80's model CB 750? I allready have a complete rear brake setup with dual piston by the way.
Foto0019_zps5edc3cd7.jpg

You could try the rotor from a 750K front wheel, they are 6 bolts and may work with your existing equipment.

NagChampa said:
You could try the rotor from a 750K front wheel, they are 6 bolts and may work with your existing equipment.
On second thought, you might want to find a rear rotor from a 77-78 CB750f, same part number as the earlier rear rotor.

MotoSynthesis said:
This would be easier http://motosynthesis.blogspot.com/p/products.html

Three pists and already swinging in to sell stuff. Maybe introduce yourself a bit first...

MotoSynthesis said:
This would be easier http://motosynthesis.blogspot.com/p/products.html

JEEZUS that is a lot of work for a boat anchor of a wheel
why would you want wire spoke wheels that are quite a few LBS heavier than they need to be ?
i thought the main reason for wire spoke wheels is with the minimal hub they are quite a bit lighter ?

xb33bsa said:
JEEZUS that is a lot of work for a boat anchor of a wheel
why would you want wire spoke wheels that are quite a few LBS heavier than they need to be ?
i thought the main reason for wire spoke wheels is with the minimal hub they are quite a bit lighter ?

For the pipeburn pictures.
Don't you know anything?

Really any mixing of comstar ans spoked parts in an extra pain in the sohc world.
Better get is to swap the whole front end. That will get you spokes on the front.
Smart move is to swap to a GL front end. This gives you better forks and an alloy wheel.
Then find a 75-76 cb750 F wheel. Spokes and disc. With the right mix of standard spacers and hubs it should bolt together.

Don't reinvent the wheel....

surffly said:
For the pipeburn pictures.
Don't you know anything?

Really any mixing of comstar ans spoked parts in an extra pain in the sohc world.
Better get is to swap the whole front end. That will get you spokes on the front.
Smart move is to swap to a GL front end. This gives you better forks and an alloy wheel.
Then find a 75-76 cb750 F wheel. Spokes and disc. With the right mix of standard spacers and hubs it should bolt together.

Don't reinvent the wheel....

LOL.....Perfect comment!!!!

How big a market is there for 50Lb wheels? The wheels will weigh more than the rest of the bike.... 8)

finished the comstar swap,

just bought a F1 fork and rear since I allready had the wheels...
cut the old spokes, got the rims powdered, painted the hubs, installed new bearings and new spokes. With a set of new tires.
Also added a second caliper and rotor with adapted speedo pickup ;)

poort3_zpsff579b5d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom