1996 HD Sportster 883 I’ll need a hugger when it’s over Hellride

irk miller said:
Thanks, Mike.

Tried my hand at powder coat for the first time with a satin black on the headlight mount...

77150-090418095936.jpeg

Looks sharp. I need to invest in a powder setup.

Maritime said:
That looks pretty good, only a few small bumps you can barely see.
Yeah, I'm guessing because I didn't pre-bake the aluminum. Live and learn.

95% complete. I just need to wire the turn signals and the tail light, then install the CV performance jet kit.

77150-090418192818-3621859.jpeg

77150-090418192821-36222149.jpeg

That looks alright there Mr. Irk. May not be every ones cuppa tea but hey I did a Canary yellow Honda Magna. As long as the customer/Buddy is happy you did your job. I actually like it. I'd maybe have blacked out a little of the shinier bits on the engine, but that might take a lot of work, not sure. Cheers

Looks killer!

Maybe scotch briting the chrome air filter cover to a nice dull matte finish would do a lot, since everthing else not shiny anmyore.

I'd ride it too.

Overall looks good.

As always, good job Eric.

So when does Irk's Custom Motorcycle and Pottery Emporium open?

Looks good man 8)

i really like the turn up on the softail rear guard, pity it didn't make it. i'm trying to work out how to make one work with my next monster project.

brad black said:
i really like the turn up on the softail rear guard, pity it didn't make it. i'm trying to work out how to make one work with my next monster project.
I agree. It's not stock, but instead a fiberglass version of a Softail fender. I could narrow it by cutting a 1/2" to inch of the center, but also the curve of the fender and how it fits the inner frame was a struggle. If it's my Sportster, I say fuck it and cut the frame and make it match. But the guy asked for a bobbed fender and I took a chance to see if could make that one work easily then hope he likes it. If he didn't, then I could always bob the stock Sportster fender- no harm, no foul. Basically, the caveat was that the Softail fender required the frame to be much shorter than the bobbed Sportster fender.

yep. it's always different being on the clock to someone rather than doing it for you.

i've seen a few fibreglass ones around, but i don't know that any of them are wide enough for the back of a monster. or how i'd make it tie in anyway.

In designing the tail light, I machined it to utilize a 16mm bolt LED. These are two wire LEDs that have really good brightness, especially with the magnifying lens. To use as a running light/brake light, however, you typically need a 3 wire light- ground/running/brake. What I have done instead, is create a circuit that will allow this two-wire light to be used. To do so, I used two Zener 12V 5W Axial Diodes, and a 1KΩ 5% 1/2W resistor on the running lights circuit.

77150-150418165925-36361016.jpeg

I attach leads on each circuit to match the stock harness, paint everything with liquid tape, cover it all in shrink.

77150-150418165935-3641750.jpeg

It's hard to get clear images to show the results with my camera because it's flooding the lens with so much light, but with a flash you get a decent idea. The first pic is the running light, and the second pic is the brake light.

77150-150418165928-36391316.jpeg

77150-150418165931-36402477.jpeg

That's the same thing I did on those lights on the dr650. they are super bright.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

irk miller said:
To do so, I used two Zener 12V 5W Axial Diodes, and a 1KΩ 5% 1/2W resistor on the running lights circuit.

I haven't understood a sentence less in about 30 years.

Bike sure looks good though. Every time I see a well appointed Sportster I miss the one I sold last year.

Sonreir said:
How come the diodes instead of just the resistor?
The diodes prevent flow back, so they separate the circuits. Otherwise, it would be brake light all the time.

Sonreir said:
You're using an LED light, right? The lamp already is a diode. :p
It's a light emitting diode, yes, but but when you run reverse flow on them they blow. Without the Zener diodes, the LED would have a very short life. Not all diodes act the same.

Back
Top Bottom