Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Re: My new project!

two smoker; I also just purchased a TX500 recently. I was able to obtain a brief manual from ebay which is only about 5 pages long or so, but has very clear exploded diagrams of all of the major assemblies. Very useful in rebuilding the motor. It has JUST enough info in it. I'll see if I can't scan the pages for you on Monday. Also, I am working on making an entire gasket set with the CNC router at my work. The gaskets seem to be hard to find and expensive, so I just scan the originals into the computer and then send them out to the router, which cuts them out perfectly. Send me a PM and let me know if you are interested in the manual I have and if you might want a gasket set when I finish them.

oh, and does anybody have any sources for a head gasket?! I can't make those, since they have the copper insert.

Yeah.... I'll probably be spending quite a bit at Dime City Cycles.... Clipons, Mikunis, bar-end signals and mirrors, Acewell guages..... Man I'm gonna be soooo broke!

TV, I've found a manual, but i AM interested in some engine gaskets. Cam cover and side covers specifically. Lemme know if that's possible, eh? Thanks.

3 for 500 bones is a SOLID deal... Nice find man!
-Slice

two-smoker said:
So I found a deal I couldn't pass up- THREE XS500's for $500! Only one is titled and running (sorta), but it's better than none, yeah? I'll post pics as soon as I take some..... I have to actually pick the bikes up first... AND find someplace to keep them/work on the one. I probably shouldn't have bought them, but too late now! As an aside- If anyone needs parts, I'll let the parts bikes go for NOTHING if you come get them. Well... Once I get mine road-worthy. Wish me luck!

Can't wait to see what you do with these, bud! You're last build looked pretty sweet from the pic you had posted on facebook. Lemme know if you need any machining done, and I'll see what I can do for ya. I've got access to just about any equipment, but we're so buried at work so finding time to get to it is a bit of a challenge.

I appreciate it, Jake! Right now my main concern is getting the bike roadworthy... After that- well, I've got big plans....

Re: My new project! Heretofore called 3 The Hard Way.

2011-01-13_230326.jpg
2011-01-13_123233.jpg
just a quick progress report. Started work on my seat hump/reserve tank. Still need to weld in the new filler.
2011-01-13_123614.jpg

Looks crazy cool TS. There is a lot of potential in that $500 score.

Re: Project 3 The Hard Way.

Project 3 the Hard Way is on a little hiatus for a bit thanks to this damn snowstorm, but just a little update, I am in the process of ordering some Mikunis for it. I wish I had some pictures or more to say, but, alas I don't. Be patient!

Alright! I'll be hitting it hard this weekend. I purchased a pair of Mikuni's from DCC today, but they're back-ordered til mid march, so I'm going to make sure everything else is ship-shape before they get here. I've gotta swap front ends with one of the parts bikes, and fix some cracked cases.... Battery, oil change.... Hmmm.... I'm looking forward to this a lot less now... Lol.

Project 3 the Hard Way: rearsets.

2011-03-09_191237.jpg
These are rearsets culled from an '87 Hurricane 600 I had laying around.... They will be finding a new home on my Yamaha. I have also started cutting down the stock seat to fit my seat hump/reserve tank. Progress is slow because I don't have heat in the shop my bike is in, but that won't matter when my carbs finally show up. I've decided to try using the motor in the bike to start with, but I'm going to refurbish one of the motors in the parts bikes to take its place in time. Questions?

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way

2011-03-21_124413.jpg

Took a paper template of my bike's frame to cut out the frame for making my fiberglass seat section. Then, cut out the mesh frame, which I will be welding to my seat hump/reserve tank before fiberglassing over the screen.
2011-03-21_130811.jpg

Are you still looking for a manual, I have a PDF version of the factory manual if that might be helpful.

If it's the repair manual, not the owners manual, I'd greatly appreciate it! Burnoutra43@yahoo.com if you'd be willing to email me that pdf. Thanks!

2011-03-21_232448.jpg

My first officially completed part! Picked up a pair of BMX bicycle pedals, and welded one into the end of my original kick start leg, after cutting off the original foot bar. Should match my motocross footpegs really well. Sweet! Also, just for fun, I replaced the cheap plastic bearing cover with a Brazilian 50 cent piece I had laying around.
2011-03-24_010228.jpg

Kinda hard to see in this shot, but it's what I got.

A little off topic, but just a question for allll you guys. In case my motor is shit on this bike, I'm considering using the motor from a GS500e as a contingency plan. But I still want a kick starter. Anyone know how difficult it'd be to fit the kicker and right side case cover from a GS400 to the GS500 motor? Thanks.

Id bet its near impossible without a massive amount of custom machine work.

I just figured, they're the same engine family(the GS400 became the GS425, then the GS450, and eventually the GS500), so maybe the innards are close enough to pull it off. Anyone been inside both a GS400 and a GS500? Are they close?

Great find man. It's great to see so many more TX500 and XS500's popping up on here lately regardless of their poor reputation with those values. Like everyone said, just make sure you adjust them. Take your time. It will pay off. And let me tell you these engines sound so great and pull so well. Your gonna love it.

Here is the manual if anyone needs it: TX500 Service Manual
http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/Yamaha_TX500_500A_Service_Manual.pdf

Check out my build. Let me know if you need any help.

Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom