74 TL 125 (Desert Rat)

Decided to change the look of the tank. I actually started sanding it to remove some blemishes and start over. I ended up liking how it looked with the frame. So, I wet sanded it with 1000 grit and cleared it.

Also started work on my seat. I have three layers of camping foam. I think I am going to get rid of one layer and go with 1-2 layers of a yoga mat that I am about to hack up and then wrap it in a black vinyl. Anyone have any ideas how to attatch the vinyl to the underside of the pan? It's 1/8" aluminum. I was thinking rivots but then I wonder if the fabric would tear away over time......

Attachments

• IMAG0601.jpg
    IMAG0601.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0599.jpg
    IMAG0599.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0602.jpg
    IMAG0602.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0603.jpg
    IMAG0603.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 395
Some really butch ass staple guns will go through ally. That's why I chose a skate deck as a base.
Using a hairdryer to warm the vinyl helps to get a good stretch.
Those TL tanks are worth a fortune now btw!

Re: 74 TL 125 (Desert Rat) Made the seat today.

Thanks to my wifes mad sewing skills and some marine grade vinyl, I got my seat on today. Cost? Approx $10 total.

It's not perfect but good enough for what I am doing with this bike. It turned out exactly how I wanted it. Long and flat!

Attachments

• IMAG0606.jpg
    IMAG0606.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 405
  • IMAG0610.jpg
    IMAG0610.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 417
KiwiTim said:
The seat looks great, how'd you end up fixing the vinyl to the underside?

Thanks guys!

Kiwi- I used sheetmetal screws with washers that were rubber on the side that goes against the vinyl and metal on top. Seems to hold real well. Should have taken a pic.

All that is left to do on it is get a throttle cable, front brake cable, gas in the tank, hope all runs well and go out and beat the snot out of it!!

Actually, I am looking to try to see if anything from a CB125 (electrical wise) will work on this bike. I know a TL250 has the headlight bracket I need. I would like to eventually get it street legal. I am digging the "tracker" look that it has to it and would love to ba able to cruise around the streets on it and have the option to blaze off trail when I feel the need.......to take a short cut home. 8)

I am also now back to thinking about painting my tank a solid color again.

I knew there was some frame damage on the down tube and when I went to mount the handle bars, they were crooked (leaning to the left). Examined the triple trees more and could barely tell that they were bent. Found some on Ebay for $24 and mounted them, problem fixed.

Attachments

• IMAG0614.jpg
    IMAG0614.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 389
  • Triple Tree.jpg
    Triple Tree.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 399
Yeah, THIS one is really sexy!
Looks like you're almost done; I definitely think the frame color makes the bike. Fine choice.

Thanks guys!

I am done with everything, except I need another front wheel and I am having carb issues. When I kickstart it the idle just goes full bore and will not adjust down. The cyclinder that the needle sits in will not smoothly goes up and down when using the throttle. May just get another carb and try it out.

Thanks for looking.

Updated pic of this? The way that tank looks with the stripped paint, almost begs to be painted urban-cammo!

Also, your carb slide may be twisted, there should be a little groove in there to hold it in one direction.

Danny- your right about the carb groove. I do have it in right. I am now thinking that maybe the spring is worn and not strong enough to keep pushing it down.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 432
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 425
She looks great! I really applaud the clean execution!

Have you lubed the cable? It could be that... But for a quick fix, try just stretching the carb spring out about an inch or so and re-install it.

Again, great work!

I didn't lube the cable. I will try that along with reworking the spring as well. I was thinking I would just order a new spring from BikeBandit if they have one. I still have an issue with the engine idle. It will be idling fine for a moment and then the idle will shoot way up to where I have to shut the bike down. I may not have cleaned the carb well enough.....I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom