1980 XS850 Brat (FINISHED!!!)

Re: 1980 XS850 Brat (Freshly Painted!)

Nothing photo worthy, but I do have a wiring update.

I got everything hooked up last night and gave it a go.

So far I have power to the following:
• Starter
• All 3 spark plugs
• Brake light
• Turn signals (all 4 light up at the same time, so I think I got my grounds and power backwards)

I have NO power to the following
• Headlight
• Gauges
• Tail light

I might just have my tail light/brake light wires crossed. I'll try swapping them tonight. As far as everything else goes I guess it could be a missing ground, but I'm not sure.

Clear coating the tank and fender tomorrow night. Once we get wiring and the brakes finished up this thing will be ready to roll!

I've had a bunch of XS Triples, and I could be wrong, but for some reason I think I remember my headlight didn't come on until the bike was started... I think it was a Yamaha thing, because I think several of my Yamaha's did this. On my Seca 900 I took the headlight out several times thinking something was wrong, then hit the starter button and it lit. I don't know if this is any help...... Also on the blinkers, did you remember to put a washer between the nut and mounting flange. I know on my Yamaha's and Triumph, if you don't have a washer, it grounds and all the lights come on.... These are just some things I've dealt with in the past, and don't know if it's any help to you.

ApriliaBill said:
I've had a bunch of XS Triples, and I could be wrong, but for some reason I think I remember my headlight didn't come on until the bike was started... I think it was a Yamaha thing, because I think several of my Yamaha's did this. On my Seca 900 I took the headlight out several times thinking something was wrong, then hit the starter button and it lit. I don't know if this is any help...... Also on the blinkers, did you remember to put a washer between the nut and mounting flange. I know on my Yamaha's and Triumph, if you don't have a washer, it grounds and all the lights come on.... These are just some tings I've dealt with in the past, and don't know if it's any help to you.

Interesting! Was this the case with all of the lights including the tail light and gauge lights, or JUST the headlight?

Concerning the turn signals.. I am using aftermarket turn signals which are not self grounding. They have 2 wires, positive and negative. I combined what I thought were the negatives to ground them, but I think I may have combined the positives instead forcing them all to go on at the same time. Should be easy enough to trouble shoot that.

yamaha uses a "reserve lighting relay" so that the running lights/headlight do not come on until the bike is running, it's a feature to maximize power to ignition for strong starts.

This could be great news for me. Now all I have to do is get it started to see if I do in fact have everything wired up correctly.

Re: 1980 XS850 Brat (Wiring/Final Stretch)

The good news: Got it running!

The bad news: Still no power to the headlight, tail light, or gauge lights.

Brake light works, tail light doesn't. I got the turn signals to turn on independently, but they don't flash. So I need to check on my flasher relay. Other wise I just have to trace all of my power back to the batter and see where the power is getting held up.

Quick video of a start:

you can make a jumper in place of the reserve lighting relay to see if the relay has gone bad....it happened on mine, I've left the jumper in there instead of trying to find a replacement....only issue is you also lose electric start when doing this but my bike starts excellent with kickstart anyways.

focusinprogress said:
you can make a jumper in place of the reserve lighting relay to see if the relay has gone bad....it happened on mine, I've left the jumper in there instead of trying to find a replacement....only issue is you also lose electric start when doing this but my bike starts excellent with kickstart anyways.

I really don't want to lose the electric start. I'll try to track the issue before going to that extreme. Thanks for the input though.

I was meaning you could temporarily jumper the wires to see if the relay is the problem....and then search out a replacement if that's the case.

focusinprogress said:
I was meaning you could temporarily jumper the wires to see if the relay is the problem....and then search out a replacement if that's the case.

Oh gotcha. Good point. Thanks!

Traced the signal issue to a lack of resistance. Adding resistors to the circuit made them flash, but I need to add more resistance. Now I just need to get the horns to work.

Not the best light, so the pictures didn't come out great. Tank just needs to decals now.

First test ride complete! Bike ran great. So much power, and so smooth. First time I've ridden a shaft drive, and I liked it!

Just some fine tuning left.

Not very exciting, but here's a test ride. Most of the action takes place in the middle.

http://youtu.be/71hZ7zlyLvs

Re: 1980 XS850 Brat (Fine Tuning)

Wiring is pretty much all there. Except apparently I have 2 bad horns. Need to find one that works to test the system out.

Now on to fine tuning. Ordered a carb sync tool, so that is on the list for this week. Then some vinyl graphics, and on to riding it!

After a quick 30 mile run, here are some pics of the final product! Really really happy with how this came out and how it runs and rides. Hope my brother enjoys it!

Bike is leaving me today, so I wanted to go some more pictures while I still have it...

Back
Top Bottom