*-*-*-* TX650 *-*-*-*

msimm43 said:
Wow, that is super clean.

I love that tank. I even like the stock color.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks man. I really like that tank too. The frame and everything else looks way better than the tank since it's got nicks and scratches here and there, but i think that keeping the tank as is will give the bike some character. Eventually I will strip it and get it painted. But I plan on riding with it as is for a few months or so.

With the seat I plan on going the route Chris Fiaccone did on his RD400 I just love the way he wraped that seat. BUT I don't have upholstering skills, so I have to take it elsewhere

Just checking in. I've been re doing the wiring, not much fun and too lame to even take photos. but the good thing is that I wont have any lame crimp connectors. Everything is soldered in place now. I only have the Pamco ignition to wire up tomorrow and recheck my carbs. maybe even get it started if time permits.

I droped my seat pan off at an upholstery shop. I should get it back in two weeks.

Thanks Joe,
I got the bike running today. The Pamco Ignition I got works great, i can't believe how simple it was to hook up. I should have my seat ready by next friday. I can't wait. I should also have the rest of my wiring doneby then.
All I now need is my brake/running light to put on my tag plate and a new set of signal lights for the rear. i don't like the one's I have at the moment.
Here is my seat pan before I took it to the upholsterer. I had to drill extra holes to prevent the vinyl from ballooning up when I seat down.
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg

This is one of the only spaghetti photos I have available.
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

The bike today prior to firing it up.
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg

Here is alittle clip. I still have to fix the usual starter spring on the bike, they are known for the little gear making that noise when the spring loses tension, or so I read. So that noise after start up is that little gear with lack of tension. Should be a quick fix.
I'm also thinking of running shorty's on there.
Anyhow, there is no revving due to the fact that I still need to shorten my throttle cables.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sl4p2ZJmuFY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sl4p2ZJmuFY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can't seem to embed just one video on here.

Anyhow, bike is running. I'm waiting on custom sized throttle cables and clutch cables as the stock ones are too long to be used. Maybe Tim can chime in and let me know where he got his for his XS650.

I got my seat back, and I must say it cost me the pretty penny she looks, but i think it was worth it.
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1270.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg

I think it looks great on the bike too.
IMG_1279.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg

What do you guys think so far? I'm also going to be working on a 1up seat soon. I had my buddy seat on the bike to check the stance of the ride.
IMG_1269.jpg

I looked on Les Baker's website (Vintage Advantage) a while ago and I'm pretty sure it said he dealt with XS's. I DO know that he has shorter cables for other stuff though.

Bikes lookin good!

Big R said:
I looked on Les Baker's website (Vintage Advantage) a while ago and I'm pretty sure it said he dealt with XS's. I DO know that he has shorter cables for other stuff though.

Bikes lookin good!
Thanks Big R. His site seems to be out of service for now. But I will check later on. I have a local chop shortening my clutch and throttle cables for me. I hope to get them back by Tuesday.

Thanks for the props Kiley.

BTW, I want to rais mi bike an inch in the rear, but I can't seem to find 14" or taller rear shocks. I am currently using 13 and 3/16 inlengh shocks

I can't wait to take this bike for a ride.

That 13 3/16 length is eye to clevis, right? Can't see it too well on my phone.

www.jerryscycles.com has some 14.5 eye to clevis for about $80. But they should compress a little when installed. I'm assuming you measured your shocks while they are on the bike.

They are 13 and 3/16" eye to eye, no clevis. With my weight they do not compress. I'm 175 lbs.

with a passenger then yeah it goes down about 1 1/2", but I can adjust the tension and it should help.
Anyone who can help I really apreciate it.

Looks good! That seat is really nice 8)

I think the stance looks about right with the shocks you have on it (maybe go 1/2" longer). How much longer is the swing arm from stock? Depending on the swing arm length you will have to watch your rear wheel travel so you don't make contact with the seat pan(especially if you're riding 2 up). I had to add a thicker rubber stop on my shock shafts to reduce the total wheel travel.

Thanks for the tip roustabout. The swing arm is a stock 76 swing arm but reinforced. so it's about 2" longer than the stock 1973 swing arm. i think it was 74 when they modified the frame and lenghtened the swingarm a bit to balance the weight a bit more. These shocks are also longer than my stock 12" shocks, but I agree with the height needing to be about half inch longer in the rear or so. it won't bottom out at all with just me, but with a passenger. I think it will. I already have stiffer ruber sleeves on the shock shafts to reduce travel. ;) when i get my 14" shocks (whenever that is) I will also raise the front 1/4" to compensate.

Thanks for your help on my seat pan roustabout.

I got my throttle cables and clutch cables back today and I was so excited to put them on my bike and take it for a quick ride, BUT the ends came off due to improper soldering on the cable ends. ???

So I gotta wait a while longer i suppose. If it doesn't work out the second time around I will just send my cables to motion pro for reference and have them build me my cables from scratch.

I'll keep you all posted.

Still no throttle cables. Why is it that when you're ready to ride, you have to wait on others?
At least I have another bike.

Took the bike to get some sun this afternoon. I love sunshine photos.

I'm looking to replace my current tail/brakelight that's on my tag bracket. I want to have one that will fit just right under the seat at the rear. it has to be shaped just right. but i also fear i will have to raise the back another inh to safely acomplish this. Any tips on what tail light to use anyone?

here are some of the pics.
IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg

This is the taillight I want to exchange. It's nice, but it doesn't look right on there.
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
And another. My doctor never said anything about not riding motorcycles for the next 12 weeks due to my dislocated leg from knee socket soccer accident. so....
IMG_1337.jpg
IMG_1335.jpg

Took the bike to get some sun this afternoon. I love sunshine photos.

I'm looking to replace my current tail/brakelight that's on my tag bracket. I want to have one that will fit just right under the seat at the rear. it has to be shaped just right. but i also fear i will have to raise the back another inh to safely acomplish this. Any tips on what tail light to use anyone?

You should look at a 03-06 honda cbr 600rr tail light. it fits nicely under the rear bar. I was considering putting it there on my xs but i think that if you bottom out you will hit the tail light. here is my bikes.

IMG_0629.jpg

hbbodyboarder said:
You should look at a 03-06 honda cbr 600rr tail light. it fits nicely under the rear bar. I was considering putting it there on my xs but i think that if you bottom out you will hit the tail light. here is my bikes.

IMG_0629.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info hbbodyboarder. It's funny you mention that because a friend of mine who had a cbr60rr told me the same thing the very day I posted this. and I also found that the R1 (I think the 02-03 ) had similar tail lights as well, but a bit narrower. So I am definetly looking into it.

Tomorrow I will hopefully hook up my throttle and clutch cables and take the bike for a short ride to see how things are. ;D

Wish me luck guys.

I'm running the current tail light as is for now until I get this bike running right.

I hate these BS38 carbs. I've cleaned the heck out of them, went thru jet changes left and right up and down and it still gives me problems. The only thing I haven't yet done is replicate the stock jetting for these carbs, which I'm about to do. Unfortunally, the P.O. did not include the stock jetting for my carbs. I'm so ready to go the mikuni vm34 way already. Just need $400. Ouch.

xulf13 said:
I'm running the current tail light as is for now until I get this bike running right.

I hate these BS38 carbs. I've cleaned the heck out of them, went thru jet changes left and right up and down and it still gives me problems. The only thing I haven't yet done is replicate the stock jetting for these carbs, which I'm about to do. Unfortunally, the P.O. did not include the stock jetting for my carbs. I'm so ready to go the mikuni vm34 way already. Just need $400. Ouch.

You don't need to spend $400 on Mikuni's.

Buy stock VM34's (get the left and right side carbs - the right side has the idle screw on the opposite side for easy access). They come with the right slides (2.5). You'll likely need different needle jet, needle, main and pilot jets.

Find your local Mikuni distributor and get a quote on two VM34's with the setup like I've got below:

Body VM34
Slides 2.5
Main Jets 190
Pilot Jets 25
Needles 6F9
Needle Jets P6
Needle Clip 4th from top/2nd from bottom

I'm probably going to go to 200 mains and see how she runs at the top end. I had the needle at 3rd from the top but raised it one notch as it was running lean. I have the Boyer ignition on mine which burns a lot of fuel.

I'm running this with UNI pod filters. Still working the kinks out but she runs! Also using the 1 into 2 throttle cable from MikesXS and a Tomaselli Super Practic B throttle.

Back
Top Bottom