CG125 OHV Build Oddessy

Erskine

Over 1,000 Posts
Soo........ picked this winter project up today ready for the long nights.
I've been after one of these ohv engines as a base for a bike.
I've passed this bike stuck in someones garden for months and last night I plucked up the courage and knocked the door.
Turns out I know the lads mum through horsey circles.
£40 running and with documentation.
The engine is good and the CG 125 OHV copy.
The rest of it in the words of the seller "is made of monkey metal and I wouldn't sell it to my friends"
So the decision is whether to find a rolling chassis to put the lump into or stick with this one?
I'm looking to make an uber sparse cafe with no lights/electric starter/ and run it on a daylight only MOT.
Your comments?

P1030085.jpg

P1030086.jpg

P1030083.jpg

Re: Shenda the Shed

Well all I can say is good luck. Mine started out in a state all to similar to yours, hell it still is lol! well looking forward to the progress!

Jared said:
Well all I can say is good luck. Mine started out in a state all to similar to yours, hell it still is lol! well looking forward to the progress!

And how did it end up?
On the upside most of this will get junked and sent back to china to be recycled into something else.
I'm moving towards just sticking with this frame and keeping the paperwork simple.
I've started soaking the engine mounting bolts with release spray.
I think I'll be borrowing a stud extractor as well!

VonYinzer said:
What the hell is a Shenda?

Neat lookin motor though. Should be a cool cafe.

It's a Honda CG 125 push rod OHV clone.
On the up side, 90% + of genuine honda parts will fit.
On the downside there is not much of quality that can be sold on to offset costs.
The electrics are utter crap but will be in the bin anyway.
A bonus is that ignition is CDI, so I will be asking you guys just how much I can ditch. It's all a bit of a black art to me.
Also this generation of licensed honda engines will take the bolt on 150cc big bore kit and other pit bike goodies I am discovering.
I've found 'race CDI' boxes on ebay which do something apparently.
Hubs and brakes feel good.
I'm not working at the moment so the budget is in deficit already ;)
However I know a few machinists and welders and can get access to useful equipment.

lol i thought the same thing as you von! i thought it looked honda-ish...but the engine side covers looked wierd. even the writimg on the tank is similar to honda. anyway if honda parts fit it there shouldnt be an issue getn it to be a reliable runner. good luck with it!

That muffler is pretty ridiculous, I guess he wanted it to "sound like a modern sport bike"... FAIL.

Good stuff man, should be a fun project. I've never heard of "Shenda" either, at least parts fit and it's not a "Magnet Box and Sorny" type of deal.

Dirty Dan said:
That muffler is pretty ridiculous, I guess he wanted it to "sound like a modern sport bike"... FAIL.

Good stuff man, should be a fun product. I'd never heard of "Shenda" either, at least parts fit and it's not a "Magnet Box and Sorny" type of deal.
The muffler is off some 600! Sounds good looks silly.
BTW it is a runner with 30k on the clock and engine wise has been 100% reliable even in extreme weather.
Road Tax ran out today.
Everything else attached to the frame apparently broke/fell off/ stopped working.

Frame probably isn't any worse than 1970's Honda so shouldn't be an issue.
Check it over for cracks as it may well be slightly lighter construction than 1970's bike.
You can still do a VOR at DVLA? (been living in Florida 12 yrs, bit out of touch)
Where are you in Wales?
I'm from Bridgend area

crazypj said:
Frame probably isn't any worse than 1970's Honda so shouldn't be an issue.
Check it over for cracks as it may well be slightly lighter construction than 1970's bike.
You can still do a VOR at DVLA? (been living in Florida 12 yrs, bit out of touch)
Where are you in Wales?
I'm from Bridgend area

I'm up in the Garw Valley.
Where are you from?

P1020895.jpg

Is VOR 'vehicle off road'?
If so it's been replaced by SORN. 'statutory off road notice' £1000 fine if you have a vehicle that is not either taxed or sorn'ed.

pj? your in wales?

I always took you for a yank ::) haha no offence, to anyone lurking

I'm in the cardiff area to those who are in wales :)

Holy shit
Small world ;D
I must know you, (you may know me?)
Maybe not, I've been here since 1999
I was living in Blaengarw, used to mountain bike a lot around there. (with Iwan Williams)
I had a black Opel Manta and an 'orange' CJ250
It wasn't that green when I was last there
This a pic Iwan sent me few years ago when I was feeling homesick :D
building on left is Blaengarw Hotel
BlaengarwChristmas.jpg

Holy Moly!
Do you mean Iwan Williams the tightest man in the known universe?
I used to work with him for a while.
I didn't move to Blaengarw till 2001. Isn't it stunning in an annoyingly wet kind of way!

n666867456_2890956_7340622.jpg

RatBag22 said:
pj? your in wales?

I always took you for a yank ::) haha no offence, to anyone lurking

I'm in the cardiff area to those who are in wales :)

Hey RatBag

Are you doing a CG too?

Erskine said:
Holy Moly!
Do you mean Iwan Williams the tightest man in the known universe?
I used to work with him for a while.
I didn't move to Blaengarw till 2001. Isn't it stunning in an annoyingly wet kind of way!

Sounds like the right one ;D

Sure as hell is. I would be home in a heartbeat if I could find a decent job there

ErsKine

yup I am, a 1996 brazillian model, trying to make it look as best as it could possible, thats easier said than done...

RatBag22 said:
ErsKine

yup I am, a 1996 brazillian model, trying to make it look as best as it could possible, thats easier said than done...

Any bits you see on mine that you want, let me know.
All I want left is a rolling chassis, and engine.

RatBag22 said:
wow thanks man...

I could always do with an extra tank and/or mudguard

All yours mate.

I'm just about to spark up the chain saw to get the fire wood out of the way, so I can start stripping the bike.
Front mudguard is good, rear is split.

P1030089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom