Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Lol. It ain't pretty. But I gotta deal with it. I have the starting circuit finished, the lighting I'm doing from scratch, and the ignition stands alone, so all I need from the original harness is the charging system. Should look much better once I strip away all the other crap.

Finally- FINALLY- got the harness stripped down to just the charging system.
IMAG005_edit_1398218296545.jpg

Found a few discarded plugs I can re-purpose, too.
IMAG0049_1.jpg

I even managed to burn in the final iteration of my seat mounts. Thumb screws!
IMAG0054_1.jpg

I think it'll be great to be able to pop my seat off without the use of tools....

I realized I never did specify where I mounted my starter solenoid....
IMAG006_edit_1398430663086.jpg

Strangely, not far from its original location.
IMAG005_edit_1398431036728.jpg
I happened across this guy last time I was at the boneyard, too. Relevance? I read an article on the TX/XS500 forum detailing how to replace the original split regulator and rectifier with this unit. Since the original Yamaha bits are not known to fail, I hadn't actually planned to do it, but....
IMAG005_edit_1398431109955.jpg
When I took a closer look at the rectifier, I found this. Not only is the plug melted together, but the outer layer of insulation is burnt. Not to mention the wires underneath. Plus:
IMAG005_edit_1398431607087.jpg

Being an aftermarket bit, it's actually an improvement over the original, and they were even nice enough to spell out what wires go where, right on the unit. Classy!
IMAG005_edit_1398431860644.jpg

Finally, everything mounted on its final, permanent location. I re-organized it a bit to make more room, but hell, it's still pretty compact. I like it!

I want to see a video when you got that electronic timing figured out. Need to see if that something I should invest in.

It's actually really simple to hook up, but I've heard some bad things. There is a guy up in Appleton runs his own business called C5, making his own optical electronic ignitions. All kind of bikes. He also runs the Kneeslider website- Paul Crowe is his name. ( I may have the specifics wrong, but if he isn't the same guy running the business, they're at least buddies.) I'm going to give the Newtronic a shot, because it was expensive, but if it fails, I'm going local....

Ask Dreadrock about the TX500 ign by Newtronics, I believe he is back to points after sending his back 3-4 times to them. Pretty cool Paul from the kneeslider builds ignitions. I read his blog everyday, love it.

Yep it's a pricey part and slide right in BUT points ended up working way better just ask the 4 or 5 guys that helped work on it durning mid-Ohio LOL had us all drinking more LOL I do hope it works out for you tho bud just remember if you do go to points you need to add 2 condensers ! Let us know how it goes

Y'know, Dean, this is the first motorcycle I've even considered running points. I hate them . HATE. But since I did find an electronic ignition, I hope it works. If not....

IMAG0066.jpg

My guy at work finished reaming out the ends of my bars to fit the bar-end signals, so I got cracking. Realizing the signals would end up sealing the lowest point of the bar- so any water that got in wouldn't get out- I figured it'd be prudent to stop water from getting in.
IMAG0065__edit_1398949910765.jpg

Here is a demo of fitment. I think they look pretty inconspicuous....
IMAG0067_1.jpg

And here I ran some power to check light output. Not so inconspicuous any more !

two-smoker said:
IMAG0070_1.jpg

First signs of life!

Why is it when I saw this pic all I could think about is " Evil Evil eyes Laughing at me from afar " LOL

I'm with dean tho I really hope its work flawless for you !

Make It Happen Captain !

So..... I guess it's a pretty common problem, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. A piece of the little tab that holds the clutch cable broke off the cases.... Any advice?

IMAG016_edit_1403175712500.jpg

Yes, it's a crappy pic, and my finger is in the shot, but this is how the tab that holds the clutch cable is supposed to look.
IMAG017_edit_1403175470308.jpg

This, however, is what I'm left with.

Trying to remember if that is part of the cover or part of the lower case ?

it has to be part of the maincase i have a stator case here and it has no cable housing stay
i would just fab up a simple bracket there is plenty of threaded holes to attach to

I actually came up with a solution at work yesterday! My inspiration was a stripped-out nut, believe it or not. The piece that's left still holds the cable fine until I put the cover on. It seems the side load forces it off the holder. So, all I had to do was cut a channel in a nut to slide over the remaining piece. Keeps the cable from sliding off sideways. BOOM.
Oh. Yeah. It's part of the main lower case. If I couldn't come up with a solution I'd be looking for a new motor.

Back
Top Bottom