Seized Engine - oi ... here's big arse project #5

S

Scarcat

Hi All,

It wold appear that I have seized the engine on my BMW. I'm now on the hunt for a replacement engine.
After speaking with some experts here's what looks to have happened ...

1) My oil pressure sensor failed ... or the bulb burnt out (which is also possible considering the electrical issues I was having with the upgraded altenator)

2) The oil pump failed ... outright.

3) smooth riding ... to choppy ride ... to total bike stall

4) Restarted my bike via rolling start (I was going downhill)

5) Stall .. stop

6) Cruise to stop.

Tried to kick engine ... she's dead Jim.

So ... now I have to either rebuild the engine or replace the engine core. Seeing as the oil pump is underneath the cams .. which is a serious pain in the ass to get to on BMW engines ... I am trying to opt for the later.

Anyone know of an old BMW engine kicking around?

Man that sucks bad. I'll keep my eyes and ears open (and my bike locked up!)

dude.. Im still waiting to hear back from my buddy about the shipping details.
I'll let you know soon!!..
How about sticking one of your 10 or so xs650 motors in there until you get another Beemer powerplant??!!...
Imagine that a Yamabmw??...

SOrry to hear about the blow-up...The Fugue Curse strikes yet again!!..

Yeah... maybe I should change my name to 'TheCurse' ;)

Speaking of shipping, I know there are companies in buffalo that provide an address that you can ship US stuff to, and then you can go pick it up from there. There was a post on another board with several choices, but I can't locate it now, and my google searches have been fruitless.

Hmm...

...and here i thought 'le pew' was living up to it's name :eek: :eek:

what hector is describing is exactly how it happened too. riding fine...deafening people walking down the street...oh wait..that was hiep, never mind...and then boom! a cloud of blue smoke, flames coming out the sides of the bike...and coasting down to a perfect landing.

hope you get that engine soon. or at least one of your other bikes road worthy!

bluemetaldog said:
...and here i thought 'le pew' was living up to it's name :eek: :eek:

what hector is describing is exactly how it happened too. riding fine...deafening people walking down the street...oh wait..that was hiep, never mind...and then boom! a cloud of blue smoke, flames coming out the sides of the bike...and coasting down to a perfect landing.

hope you get that engine soon. or at least one of your other bikes road worthy!

such an honor to be called loud, my neighbors don't like it,but i told them it's getting fixed( in about 4 years or so)
speaking of the curse, i lost one of mine super rare chrome side covers on the way home, i drove back that night to find it , but no dice,
it's ok i'm installing some blue lights in the air filter area of the bike, yup that giant hole in the middle of my bike is getting lit,so japanese,

OK. I found another engine. It's in California:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270182667754&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

Please .. no one bid on this.

I've also found a place in Niagara Falls that will receive and hold the engine for me:
http://www.chichesterinc.com/USAReceivingServices.htm

Looks like Le Pew will be soul-less for at lest 3 weeks.
oi.

Do you have the transmission to go with the motor? Is yours a 4 or 5 speed? I know the earlier /5 models were 4 speeds.

Good luck on the auction - road trip to Niagara Falls?

That receiving service looks interesting. Must be similar services that people use to set up grey-market sattelite TV services etc. where you need a US mailing address for the invoice. $50 monthly ain't cheap though. Maybe a bunch of us should get together and have one account.

Tintin said:
Do you have the transmission to go with the motor? Is yours a 4 or 5 speed? I know the earlier /5 models were 4 speeds.
I'm going to re-use the transmission. it wasn't hurt in the process of seizing my engine. The /5s were a low geared 4 speed and /6/7's were 5 speeds. I'm keeping my tranny as it's got a kick (which has become very handy considering the eletrical issues I had)

Tintin said:
Good luck on the auction - road trip to Niagara Falls?
Actually, the guy may be able to relay ship it to Toronto ... which is worth way more then $50 for my time.

Tintin said:
That receiving service looks interesting. Must be similar services that people use to set up grey-market sattelite TV services etc. where you need a US mailing address for the invoice. $50 monthly ain't cheap though. Maybe a bunch of us should get together and have one account.

That's not a bad idea. Do you want to start another thread on it?

Actually I am sure there are other companies that will receive and hold packages at Niagara for you to pick up, and that may work on a per-item basis (no monthly fee). I wish I could remember where I saw that thread - they listed 3-4 of them. It was on GTAM somewhere, but I can't find it any more.

Okay I actually found one of them. I know there are others even closer to the Falls.

http://www.usaddressinc.com/

Seems cheap too... though looks like you'll have to call them for more accurate rates.

ok. I just won the engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=270182667754&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

$425.26 USD ($389.22 CAD)
$203 USD to ship to Niagara Falls. (Less then $1/lb)

Less then $600 CAD total ... that is before taxes when I bring it across to Canada.

I'm going to use the receiver I found first. I know it migh be a bit more expensive but heck ... I figure I'm already saving a bundle because of the foreign exchange rate.

Anyone up for a road trip to Niagara falls in a couple of weeks?

I could do a trip to Niagara, but would much prefer a trip to California!

You know, you could fly to California and bring it back in luggage :)

Tintin said:
I could do a trip to Niagara, but would much prefer a trip to California!

You know, you could fly to California and bring it back in luggage :)

Actrually, I'll be in California the first week of December for business, but the airlines change $17 per kilo over 75. I think the engine weighs about 250 lbs (113.4 Kilos) ... which would cost me $1,927.80.

I think I'll just do the freight thing.

OK. Just got home. I have the replacement engine.
I am officially upgrading from the 600 to a 750 engine.

I'll need a weekend to get her ready to go in, but this should go without a second blink.
Very Very Very happy. It should be ridable again by mid-January.

Tintin said:
Take your time and make the engine purty before dropping it in.
Definately.
1) Pulling off the heads and jugs and making sure everything is good.
2) Pulling off the front cover plate and replacing the alternator with the upgraded one I put on the R60
3) Spray painting the engine core with black ceramic engine paint which is designed for the heat
4) Removing the flywheel and having it professionally lightened
5) Polishing up the Starter cover plate (It's got the r75/5 badges on it)
6) Checking the points ... and replacing the point breaker if I have to.

TinTin ... any other suggestions?

Hey Scarcat, you (if you already hadnt planned on it) may want to give this PJ1 a shot for your engine paint. I havent personally used it yet, but plan to on my bore kit motor project (stay tuned for that thread!! LOL) My biggest complaint with the high temp ceramic that ive found so far is that while it does an excellant job on the high temp motor parts, and looks really good, its seriously succeptable to dings and chips. I dunno if it just gets brittle from the heat or what. But from what i've read about this PJ1, its great as far as that goes, and looks outstanding. It apparently takes a couple of good warm rides for it to cure all the way, but once it does, the users ive talked to about it say its damn near impossible to damage the finish. It even stands up to petrol and oil very well. I dunno where you may find it other than JPCycle.com and Z1enterprises.com but im sure some local places probably carry it. Just a thought.

PJ1 eh? It looks good. When it comes to painting or polishing engines, my big fear is heat retention. With Sand casted air cooled engine bodies, everything I've read has said that you shouldn't polish or paint engine parts because it interferes with heat reduction. A layer of paint will help retain heat (which you don't want) and polishing an engine reduces the amount of surface area, and thus also reduces the amount of heat that can be lost.

The black ceramic paint is very thin. As well, I've read some articles that claim that the extra ceramic in the paint helps to reduce heat.

Has anyone used PJ1? How this is the stuff? I've seen show bikes with powder coated engine parts, but those are show bikes. They aren't designed for real riding.

Back
Top Bottom