Seized Engine - oi ... here's big arse project #5

Well, i had that same fear. I've read that the factory paint jobs Suzuki did on some of thier motors was only 3mil thick. But, at least with these Zook motors, guys have been painting them for a while, and all of them have said they have had zero problem with heat transfer. I for sure wouldnt powdercoat anything but maybe the case covers as they really dont transfer a WHOLE lot of heat, but this PJ1 has been used on GS's from 750, 850s and 1000's (which use basicly the 750 bottom end, with a bigger bore and stroke) and none have had problems. I'll do some more research as i plan on using it as i said, but even the advert for it says its as close to the factory finish as you can get.

Here's a pic of a guy's 850 he's working on with that paint. Another thing to think about if you are worried about transfer, you can also grind the paint off the fin surfaces to help a bit...I like the way this looks, especially with those SS bolts. I will be trying the same out with my bore motor. I'll also be running an oil cooler to assist in heat dissipation.

the year of BMW I have is air cooled. I'm probibly going to get the oil box extension which should help with cooling as well.

I'm not going to paint my fins. but I'll order some PJ1 and will let you know how it turns out.

Sweet! All of the GS's are air cooled too, till they get to the later Kat oil boilers. You ever thought of running an oil cooler on your BMW?? I may have a guy that could show us how to rig it up. He's done a couple of the GS motors that didnt have the porting originaly to run an oil cooler, and has found outstanding results.

I thought about it, but I guess there's a reason why there aren't aftermarket BMW Airhead oil coolers. Without knowing why, I'll just heed that bit of warning.

Back
Top Bottom