$3.09 Wal-mart trailer light tail light plastic soldered to 80's rear cowl on 75

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Was bored, saw this dual bulb at wal-mart for $3.09. I couldnt resist. Found the center on my rear cowl off of a junkyard 80s Kawi and broke out my soldering iron and went to town.

What do you guys think?

Needs to be sanded and painted. And I need to figure out how to clean up the ass end.

It won't become a molten lump of red plastic burning on your pipes?

Re: $3.09 Wal-mart trailer light tail light plastic soldered to 80's rear cowl o

Well, as a mock-up it's looking pretty neat but I'd still want an actual mounting bracket to hold it on

Hey Tintin, I sent you the pictures to your email.

Secondly, Im going to mock up some sort of heat shield for the mufflers. The exhaust pipes will be made to exit the rear horizontally rather than on a an angle. I just need to get my hands on another seat pan to play with.

Re: $3.09 Wal-mart trailer light tail light plastic soldered to 80's rear cowl o

Will one from an old CB450 fit? I have one sitting around.

feck all! I have a small cat-eyed taillight that's gone spare...

it's.........................................a clearance light for a truck,trailer etc etc,,,,,,price was right!!!

Noel, It measure 2"x4" with two bulbs in it. Those tiny 194 bulbs. I went to pwp boys andpicked up two LED bulbs for it too. But those cost me $7. Expensive build lol.

I need to cut the end tabs of my frame off but I cant bring myself to do it. Im such a pussy.

Fear My Twin said:
Noel, It measure 2"x4" with two bulbs in it. Those tiny 194 bulbs. I went to pwp boys andpicked up two LED bulbs for it too. But those cost me $7. Expensive build lol.

I need to cut the end tabs of my frame off but I cant bring myself to do it. Im such a pussy.

2 x4 inches??!!.. WOW.. thats tiny..... PERFECT!!. .LOL!!..
Can you post some pics of the back and wiring?...
Im wondering if it can actually used as a Brake/Tail light, in other words, can it be modded to take a 1175 dual filament bulb...hmmm

Thanks Man

Noel:

I just did this with a 34 ford repo light.

chrisf said:
Noel:
I just did this with a 34 ford repo light.

Hey Chris, What did you do?

Noel, Its super easy.

The bulbs ground through the mounting screws and the power supplied through a metal strip which is soldered between the two bulb sockets.

I just snipped the tiny metal strip and soldered on a second power wire.

Wire one bulb to the running light, and the other bulb to the brake circuit.

Done.

Fear My Twin said:
Noel, Its super easy.
The bulbs ground through the mounting screws and the power supplied through a metal strip which is soldered between the two bulb sockets.
I just snipped the tiny metal strip and soldered on a second power wire.
Wire one bulb to the running light, and the other bulb to the brake circuit.
Done.

Yeah.. I see what you are saying.. Not bad at all... LOL..
So instead of using 1157 bulbs, you just split the 2 bulbs up and used one side for brake and one side for running...interesting...
So when you press the brake, both light up rather than just one...Pretty darn interesting..

Yes sir!

However, the more i look at my rear cowl/ brake light on the bike the more I hate it. with the under tail exhaust its too much under the tail. Ill just chop off the rear of the cowl and make another license plate/ brake light combo.

Noel:

On the 34 Ford taillight, it had 2 bulbs that had a single filament each. One was running and the other was the tail. What I did was buy 2 cheap stop/tail/turn trailer lights at Wal-Mart ($11 total). I then took the bulbs out and swapped the internal wiring disk from the Wal-Mart specials with the wiring disks on the 34 Ford taillight.

In the end, I run two stop/tail/turn LED bulbs. Both are lit when running and both light when the brake is applied. There was no soldering involved, but it was slightly more expensive. I'll take pictures when I get it mounted.

Fear My Twin:

Thats a good choice. I personally don't like the combo pictured. Like I said, I do have a spare little cat-eyed taillight that is available if interested. Not harm if not.

--Chris

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom