QA50 - Mini Bike, cause it fell into my lap!

I agree it's salvageable too... But it looks like its going to be a bitch to get out.... It's recessed enough to make drilling it out a challenge to do w/o possibly screwing up the crank. I'm debating either torching it to see if it will pop out with a few taps from a hammer, or zapping it with the welder... Works great with stuck broken exhaust studs, but I'm worried I'd weld the pin to the shaft, or the heat may warp the shaft... Maybe I'm over thinking it and I just need to pick at it and drill a small hole and drink a 6

if you remove crank and set everything up on a nice safe wooden jig, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get it out using a good bit on a press drill. Heck, you could even make a pin yourself out of some steel stock the same size.

Looking gooodd! I'm about to tear down my c100 motor myself!...

It was a sweet find. Thanks! It will be even better when it runs!

was hoping not to tear the motor apart unless I find I have to.... I'll exhaust a few non destructive options before I split it apart. I'm much more of a "why fix it if it ain't broke" kind of guy. This isn't "broke" enough to split the motor without trying a few things.... stay tuned!

Turns out, the pin came out with a little heat, and a magnet. New pin ordered. should be here by Thursday. Oooo the black magic of a magnet can not be matched!

43a6a006-c446-67f3.jpg

Might want to ask why the pin was sheared in the first place . So since it's already been covered correctly that the pin locates the flywheel but the taper is the holding element let's move on . Clean the crank taper with fine file and stone then apply some valve grinding compound the the taper and lap the shaft to the taper . When complete you should have a uniform matte finish on the the crankshaft taper and the flywheel bore . There will be no more flywheel slippage .

~kop

Yeah... Good point. I want to say the person who last "serviced" the bike may have done so because they didn't know what they were doing. But who knows. The flywheel is in good shape. It almost looks like it was put on wrong.

Turns out that little pin that locates the flywheel and sets the timing is CRITICAL. After install and a few kicks it runs pretty good. Needs a little carb adjustment and the timing and valves adjusted, but it runs pretty good. Video to come if I can figure out how to post it from my phone

Its the same old thing as hitting a rock with the lawn mower and shearing the key, which I did A LOT as a kid. Looses the timing right off the bat. Someone might have tried to HOLD the rotor with something while they tightened the bolt and broke the pin or something along those lines.

Good you got it running, if you were any closer I'd talk you out of it, my boy wants a little bike to ride since his razor electric dirt bike doesn't let him ride longer than 30 minutes before it needs to be charged. I'll have to keep looking around I suppose. ::) ;D

I'm 180 degrees West of you at least 1300 miles out in the midwest man. :D Thanks for the thought though!

Question: Looks like I'm gonna need new Rings/ Overbore Piston/Rings combo in the near future. Anyone know if I can use any 50cc honda piston as long as the wrist pin dia. is the same? If i'm going to have it bored out it shouldn't matter right? QA50 piston is $40+$30 for the rings and hard to find 0.25 over or 0.50 over. PA50 piston and rings are $40. They share the same ring part #'s... would it be safe to say they could share the same piston?

I know that the pistons varied a lot.... just in the same run of bikes (the c100) they changed the wrist pin height between the early and late bikes. make sure you get the right one! if you are having trouble finding an overbore, maybe look into a larger bore piston and go way overbore... for example, the C100 can take an S65 piston and you get a really nice boost in compression and power by doing it.

BCBarker said:
Where are you? I'm going to NYC in August. I might be able to brig it with me....

Do so and come hang out! hopefully I'll have mine done by then and we can buzz about.

Turns out Honda has some cross numbers to parts so for $60 I can get OEM piston and ring set. Not too bad. Probably $30 to bore it. so for under $100 new piston and rings + overbore. I can live with that, but for now, I'll let it be Mosquito Control until it's colder.

Rocan, NYC: as it's a "5 year anniversary trip" I don't think the wife would like it if I were to scoot off and go hang out with anyone else. If It were a work trip, I'd be down... I'll let you know next time work takes me up there. now get that C100 finished!

This is cool. I havd an all original qa50 but I've been wanting to find one of those green ones. They are so simple and fun to take to MC shows.

Cloyd said:
This is cool. I havd an all original qa50 but I've been wanting to find one of those green ones. They are so simple and fun to take to MC shows.
Nice! I had no idea the green one was as rare as it seems to be when I got the thing. One year paint and one year tank trim. At first I had the impulse to chop it up into some mini cafe, but after seeming the rarity of this color, a restoration is a no brainier. In 40 years when I retire it will be worth MILLIONS... (fingers crossed)

Back
Top Bottom