Budget build DOHC cb 750

thaglyde

So, I finally decided to be proactive and go to work on the 80CB750C i got from my boss at work for free. He got it from a mother whose son died riding bikes. He was in the process of rebuilding this one. I was able to start it and change the oil. It was must have been changed soon before the guy died because it was just as golden as the oil that went in it. I have an idea to make it functional for me. Im thinking about getting some renthal road ultra lows, some shinko 302s i think. I want to cut the back fender up into the tail light and attach the tag to it. I want to also add a fork brace. I think i got a good handle on the plan. This is my first build so is there anything i may be missing?

Also, what should i do my metal cutting with? Reciprocating saw, high speed cut off tool, something else? Also what should i smooth it out with? palm sander?

Attachments

• IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 330
Is that the stock tank? I thought those bikes had a part that angled down real bad?

I did this while waiting for my pork chops to grill

Attachments

• silly.jpg
    silly.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 324
it looks like the guy put a K tail and i dont know what tank that is. I had to get a petcock made for it. I like the one at the top on the right. That looks like me. I wonder what you could do if you had more than pork chop grilling time? Either way, thanks a lot.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but the frame is going to limit and "sportiness" you may want
Try and always play to a bikes strengths. The F was a great 80s superbike racer (Not a cafe), plenty of performance parts and ideas (cb1100f.net) The C was a faux custom sportster fighter type bike, not really suited to any real performance, although plenty have tried to dress them up that way

Surffly,

I couldnt agree with you more but I plan to make the best out of free and not dump thousands into it like i do my harley. I want to make it cheap and cool. I think i may have something with the changes that rrjind did. It at least gives me an idea of what im working with. I also have some black smoke but with it sitting for at least 20 years, im not sure if its running rich or i need to readdress some gaskets. However, Ill cross that bridge when i get it rolling. Needs some new rubber and bars.

You could just clean the bike up, learn a little about tuning them and sell the bike on to someone that will use it for what it is meant for. Then take the money and buy a F, or better year an early GS750
None of these bikes are rare so its easy to find the right bike for the job

Nonetheless, whether you decide to keep it or not it looks like a really good start, and you cant beat the price! Lookin forward to the progress pics!

Or take Surffly's comments and choose a different outcome. Play to what you have with minimal mods.

Get/make a seat like a Corbin Gunfighter style to work with the frame shape
Fit lower bars - superbike shape would be good
Remove the rear plastic tail and possibly the part of that rear fender and see what you have to work with.
Try to avoid chopping the frame if at all possible.

It would make a cool street sled/ retro rod or whatever you want to call it. Think Muscle bike rather than canyon carver.

Anyone know if I can fit a 140/90/16 tire on the rear 80 cb750 frame. This is the stock mag. Stock is 130/90 16.

Check the width of that rim and then look at tire manufacturers web sites to see what tire they say will fit. I suspect that a 140 may be too wide for that rim.

New tires and grips showing up in the morning. Got some shinko 230s. Are you guys titleing your bikes antique? Why or why not?

I never do, mostly due to mileage restrictions on most historic plated bikes
I use progressive. $75 a year

As much as surfly is ultimately correct; the bike will never be a corner carver without major frame surgery Teazer has the right of it,
New/upgraded rear shocks an inch or so longer, with a similar drop to the front end will quicken the handling sufficiently for anything you'll be doing on the street.
If you don't ditch the stock forks for something better, get some fresh springs and emulators from YSS or Racetech and a fork brace, you'll like the end result a lot. Your plan with the lower bars is a good one for a 'Hotrod' too, though a set of rearsets would still be a good option for you. That gunfighter style seat would do the trick too and serve to get rid of her big ass. Look into an 18" rear rim swap, far better tires can then be spooned on. Up-sized front disc and a 6piston caliper with braided line will make a decent braking upgrade without swapping to different forks, though there are loads of good options there should you wish to go that way.
Whatever you do....do it for you, not what some online ex-spurt thinks!

Not sure if the wheels are the same size, but the 82 Nighthawk I got my wheels from fit a 150/90 rear without sidewall bulge and I've still got 3/4" clearance between the tire and frame. Just sayin'. And I wouldn't title it antique, I mean, yeah, it's 32 years old, but I would be hard pressed to call 1980 "antique", that and insurance is more expensive, especially for a "budget" build. Good luck with the C frame.

Back
Top Bottom