www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: '74 CB383 (CB360) - a Mighty Mouse adventure bike  (Read 20753 times)

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Re: '74 CB383 (CB360) - a Mighty Mouse adventure bike
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2013, 20:44:14 »
OK... I'm on board.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline muskywhisperr

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2013, 20:54:35 »
I weld for a living but for some reason that scares me.  Did it warp?  Are you using a 110 welder?  I am planning on riding my 360 to sturgis from WI this summer so I too want to put some miles on her.
75 Honda cl360 In progess
77 Honda CB550SS up next
80 Suzuki GS1000GL Back burner

Offline Treesus

• Probably not sane.
    • Half Day Around
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2013, 21:20:04 »
millin - Yes. Hobart 110v welder. Doing short beads while moving quickly was my attempt to keep the heat down and minimize the warping.
But yes, it still warped although not terribly.
Once I got the top shell completely welded I spend a fair amount of time with a rubber mallet, an assortment of 2x4s, and a 6x6 flat iron of the back of a table vice and just pounded the correct shape in like an olde worlde blacksmith. An English wheel would have been nice. Ground some of the beads down with a wheel and brush, then pounded some more. Turned out well in the end.
~Tree

CB360 Adventure build http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43834.20

"I think it says in the Bible that there is a time to listen to techno, and a time not to." -Joe Strummer

Offline NBraun

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2013, 22:19:05 »
Diggin the bike man!

Offline Treesus

• Probably not sane.
    • Half Day Around
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:30:57 »
Sonrier and NBraun - thanks.

My company has been having the required yearly recurrent training for all of us pilots this week. Make sure we all still remember the rules on flying planes. Basically days of sitting in a conference room trying not to slip into a coma with the rare interruption of an interesting discussion.

Anyhow, I finished getting the lower end back together.

Hopefully what this is all supposed to look like. Stuff in the gears is assembly-grease. I thought it would work into the cogs a bit better. Live and learn.

Put the new seals in. I just put a small amount of oil on my finger and ran it around the mating surface. Hopefully that will keep all the oil adequately inside.

I am a bit curious about these plates that rest under the crankshaft/rods. Only theory I could come up with on my own is that they help prevent too much oil from sloshing/splashing up into the moving crankshaft. Anyone with more experience have input on this?

The crankshaft mechanism, for those who haven't yet seen one.

Organizational attempt at not ending up with orphan pieces.

I put in heavier clutch springs and new friction plates. I didn't realize how thin my old ones had gotten until I compared the new and old. I knew I was going to change them out so I never measured their thickness but the old ones were pretty worn.

Anyhow, old spring-new spring. I'm sure you can tell which is which.

Decided to try out an anti-friction coating since all the new performance pistons for cars and such seem to come with them. Why not? I made a drill bit piston holder and taped my drill trigger in the slowest setting to spray these. Turned out pretty uniform (even though in the picture it looks like there are irregularities it feels and looks consistent in person). Anyhow, I will need to check piston clearance tolerances. Any tips on how to do this?

Tank is pretty much done. I need to take it somewhere for finishing prep and paint. Decided I am not interested in attempting that aspect myself. Here are just a few size comparison photos next to a stock CB360 tank.

New tank is somewhere around 4.8-4.9 gallons compared to the stock 2.9 (2.8 with the dent on the other side of my old tank, hah). Measured that with a kitchen measuring cup, so it may be a bit off the standardized gallon.

~Tree

CB360 Adventure build http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43834.20

"I think it says in the Bible that there is a time to listen to techno, and a time not to." -Joe Strummer

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:42:47 »
Very nice, man.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline DesmoBro

• Busted Nut
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:39:05 »
sweet treesus
"I desire the things that will destroy me in the end"

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:47:49 »
I am a bit curious about these plates that rest under the crankshaft/rods. Only theory I could come up with on my own is that they help prevent too much oil from sloshing/splashing up into the moving crankshaft. Anyone with more experience have input on this?

Got it in one.

Quote from: Treesus
Anyhow, I will need to check piston clearance tolerances. Any tips on how to do this?
Mic the pistons and the bore and then subtract one from the other.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but the exact procedure is listed in the manual along with the specs.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2013, 22:24:50 »
Have those same splash plates in my 1966 CA95's engine case below the crank.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline jchek779

• Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
    • SevenNineSystems
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2013, 18:19:18 »
That plate is called a windage plate or windage tray. It's exactly what you thought it was - to keep sump oil away from the crank throws, keeping as much oil in the sump as possible. It'd take a considerable amount of power away if those crank throws were sloshing around in oil.
Check out the full details, more pictures, and some tech tips on my builds here:
SevenNineSystems