"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

next time you see these - they will hopefully be a manifold !! 8) three possibly !

The rear brake mech. is now all finished and painted - Satin Black. The rod actuator arm was bent [?] meaning the rod had been fouling the frame slightly ::)- straightened that out while I was at it, nice smooth operation now. The 7mm [ 8mm tap ] drill finally arrived and I was able to drill and tap the boss to retain the lever. The original thread had broken off at some stage in the past.

While I had the rattle can out I gave the seat and mudguard a final coat - seat ready for the upholsterer now. Just have to decide on Red or Black leather. I have several hides [ perforated Jag hides ] left over from my Replica Car manufacturing days - might as well use some of them up and sell the rest off !

Brackets also made for the front "race number plate" [ Flat Tracker style ] this will hold a couple of very small Eagle Eye LED units as daylight running lamps.I have a couple of matching ones in Red to act as rear running lights.

I have to check the MOT requirements first as I will be running a daylight MOT.

The re-conned 40DCOE arrived Friday [ good old e-bay ] and apart from some detailing [ paint ? ] it's all ready. Jets and chokes etc. will be a bit of a guesstimate initially, but I'm sure I'll get there. I'll need to make up some sort of support for the rear of the carb. as it's slightly heavier than the original set up. I've been promised the use of a spare head to set up the flanges prior to welding - as soon as that arrives my pal will make the manifolds up.

Real progress now after the despondancy of the past 12 months. 8)

miffa said:
no such thing as a day time MOT TJ ,its just a standard MOT with advisories,better not fit day time running lights till after test ,if lights are fitted they must be fully functional ,switch gear if fitted must be operational so careful on what you fit ie indicators switch ,however these can be taped up ,brake light is always a good idea for self preservation ,you need a horn,speedo is not a MOT requirement but police can caution you for not having one fitted ,try to use a chopper friendly MOT station as lots of the MOT content is at the testers discretion...oh a small reflector must be fitted to the rear....think thats about it ,try dave the frame b/ham great guy and not to far from you

Thanx for the info Miffa.

Originally I'd planned for brake light [ self preservation ] and a horn. The "daylight running" LED's were another nod towards self preservation. However, they can be fitted after the MOT as they only require very small mounting holes.

Thanx for the headsup on "Dave the Frame".

Rear brake ass'y completed and working spot on. Final coats of Satin Black and all GTG.

I finalised the seat base mounting brackets - so that's ready for a trip to the upholsterer.

Just have to decide on Black or Red - Suede side or leather side ?? My upholsterer is keen for me to try their new Aston Martin double stitch for the pleating .... have to think about that.

Yes with the Black upholstery - Suede side or Leather side ? Has to be Red stitching I guess ! The leather is a perforated [ Jag ] hide. I finished the seat mounting brackets off today - so it's ready to go to the upholsterer this weekend.

I made a second knock down pass on the tank - much closer now, and doesn't look too far away with a coat of primer filler. However, we all know how that flatters the finish !

Tripped over my Grimeca hubbed / braked Borrani rims in the shed - surplus from the sale of my TR1 Cafe Racer as the buyer didn't want them [ !! ]. The rear hub is from an XS650 Yam and the spindle fits !

The front spindle is nowhere near - but I've now got a tame stainless spindle maker ..............hhhmmmm.

It's unlikely I'll get the cost of them back [ close to £1800 with build, tyres etc.]...... Maybe

Excellent news on the health front fella.....now you just have to look both ways when crossing the road haha!

Re: DCOE carb - iirc they are mounted on double spring washers and done up just enough to allow the carb to absord engine vibrations. A mate had problems with his pair until he loosened the nuts off a touch. You probably already know this.

Found these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-Double-Coiled-Spring-Rectangular-Washers-Self-Colour-Mild-Steel-/272281187557?var=&hash=item84f84ba855

Yes I have a couple of sets of those washers + special rubber "O" ringed metal gaskets.

I also have a rubber mounted strut rod to support the weight of the carb ( ex. Ford rally piece).

I used a 40DCOE many years ago on my Triumph sitter sidecar outfit. Worked a treat - just hope I can set this one up OK.

Feeling really positive now ......... great weight lifted off my shoulders.

Good to see those awesome wheels will be put to use. Making a lot of progress now mate.

Brodie,

It started out as a "whatif" - but due to my sudden and recent "focus" - This one WILL be my swansong, so might a well do it the best I can. 8)

I had a good look at the wheels today and it does look quite straightforward - just means a new spindle for the front ( spacers if I'm lucky ) and spacers for the rear.

I was never fan of the look of the rear disc / caliper anyway and it still gives me a take off
for the speedo cable.

More outsource work but the resulting look will be worth it.

And at least I get to use those wheels ! ;D

I have a cylinder head coming on loan from Kaptain Kwak over on the Lonesome Twin forum - Thanx bud.

That will allow my pal to get the Weber 40DCOE manifold fabricated.

Just looking for the misplaced parts from the rear hub, then I can check out the feasibility of using the Grimeca / Borrani wheels.

Seat base off to the upholsterer on Friday .......... roaring along now ! 8)

Thanx for the encouragement lads ........ yes I do feel reinvigorated, the old passion is back - in spades.

I HAVE to use those wheels, even if it's only a nod to my defunct Vindicator Cafe Racer.

A further knock down on the tank today brings it ready for final surfacing, detailing and then final primer surface. Side number plates are now ready for colour. Hopefully I picked the right shade of Yellow - we'll see.

Question - front "race" number plate - square or oval ?

I'll be using my old football number - 55. I'm looking for a 60's Flat Tracker font. Over to you boys.

Maritime said:
With the tank shape for some reason I would think oval with 55 on it.

That's the way I'm heading too !

That said, I think I'll make one of each in MDF to check out size and shape. Just ideas at the moment as the mock up will be best done when the rolling chassis is completed with the tank and seat in place.

Oh but it's a tracker no? I like Oval, but:

s-l300.jpg
Tracker

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh but it's a tracker no? I like Oval, but:

s-l300.jpg
Tracker

Can't argue with that TAF !

So - I got the first coat of Zinc Yellow on the side panels - exactly the shade I had in my mind. HOWEVER, the Black seat now looks like a dog's dinner against the Red and Yellow. There's no way I can strip the paint back [ ie can't be arsed ] so I'll flog it on - just ordered a replacement £35 delivered. AC says it would cost him more than that to make one - AND we already have the moulds ! Then it's going to be Yellow ! Guess that means I'll have to get a new front mudguard now and paint that Yellow as well !!!! Futtox. Hmmmm - a couple of Satin Black stripes down guard, tank and seat might work.

That was quick :eek:!! Ordered last night, arrived this morning. There are several versions of the seat base. Fortunately this one is exactly the same which will save me some time as I can just transfer the mods straight over.

Started modding the new seat base yesterday. Used all the data from the old seat -mounting holes, trimming to drop around the frame tubes, etc. Final fettle and fit with side panels over the weekend - then it's prep and primer. Hopefully in colour by next weekend.

A bit more progress. The seat / tank / side panel fit and fettle has now been done, just requires a bit of fine tuning before I get into prep and paint.

The side panel - here in the first base coat, is actually a lot lighter / paler than it looks in the pic !

I ordered a rattle can Satin Black [ cellulose ] to use for my guide coats, there just didn't seem any point in ordering "loose" paint as the price for even 1/2 ltr is astronomical - rattle can £5.00 !!

Next job is to prep the seat base ready for primer - it's a cheap and cheerful product, and I guess yer gets what yer pays for.

Back
Top Bottom