"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Maritime said:
Slick, that looks great.

Thanx MT .... the finished item looks good in my head !!!!! The front will be curved to fit back round to the frame level with the main front engine mount - maybe mesh ? And there's some cosmetics required at the side and rear. But overall dead lucky that the main dimensions worked !! Unfortunately my pal Brian is back off to the US in a few weeks to work on his property - 3 months ! Fortunately I have now got a spare frame mule and I'll bring the dummy engine back round to my shed, so at least I'll be able to get on with the detailing and small parts. We MUST get the front spindle finished and made before he goes away.

Looks like the Blower has to go [ all together ... Ahhhhhh ] as there's nobody who can do the machining for me. So the first engine will be Weber 40DCOE and Nitrous. I'll carry on building the blower motor as and when machining work can be done. I haven't given up on the blower - I just have to realistic .......................... just had my 74th birthday !!!!!!!

Keep going forward and you'll get there!. I can see the vision with the mockup, it's not done but the direction it's going is spot on. Hiding the fuel cell there is slick. and put the weight as low as it will go.

Maritime said:
Keep going forward and you'll get there!. I can see the vision with the mockup, it's not done but the direction it's going is spot on. Hiding the fuel cell there is slick. and put the weight as low as it will go.

The fuel pump will go in there - and maybe the battery. I think the battery position might be optional to set the front / rear weight bias.

Nearly there clearing my pals garage ::) - he's off to the US next week for 3 months. Most of the parts back that I'll need to carry on while he's away. Proved the belly fairing / fuel cell out - all good. Just needs mounting tabs and a bit of cosmetic finishing / shaping.

There will be a "snow plough" filler piece at the front and back. The actual fuel cell will be 3" longer and come right to the back edge of the fairing. Also, the finished item will be 1" more ground clearance which brings the side of the fairing neatly up to the lower frame rails. I have the mule frame set up in my shed and the dummy engine ready to go back in. I should be able to get a lot of the minor detailing done while he's away. I'll be getting my soda blast pot up and running in the next 4-6 weeks so I can start work on the engine. 8)

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 518
A bit more to add to the stash. ;)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 149
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 556
1fasgsxr said:

yeah - blower will be the #2 lump as it's going to take a while to get all the machining / fab done. So the first engine will be the '82 lump with the Weber 40DCOE. Oh, plus 2 x NOS foggers of course.

1fasgsxr said:
How big of a shot do you think it can handle ?

Going to start conservative between 50 and 75. The engines appear to be over engineered for their base HP rating. However, I have got a spare engine ! I'm pretty certain the engine will stand at least +50bhp.

My pal's off on Monday [ big shopping list ! ] and I got the last of the parts back at the weekend. Had a good day today and got the old frame mocked up with the dummy motor etc - pretty well as it was in the Red frame.

Things are quite clear in my head now - the belly tank will work spot on [ another 3" of ground clearance from picture ] and I'll certainly get the fuel pump in there. Battery coming back tomorrow and I can measure that up to see if it will fit in there as well. I'll gradually get all the other parts and bodywork sorted and brackets made while he's away, so we can simply switch it back to the bike knowing [ ?? !! ] it will fit. Measuring up for the front spindle tomorrow and also the head steadies. I have another '82 engine that is complete and assembled - that'll be the Weber version while the second '82 engine [ partially stripped ] will be completely stripped ready to be rebuilt for the blower.

Attachments

• KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 004.jpg
    KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 004.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 148
  • KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 003.jpg
    KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 003.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 143
  • KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 002.jpg
    KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 002.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 144
  • KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 001.jpg
    KZ set up old frame 26th March 2018 001.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 154
canyoncarver said:
I get a huge grin every time I see where you are taking this bike.

Thanx for the encouragement - I'm a happy camper too !!! Mojo DEFINITELY back. Front spindle spacers all measured up now. I was seriously overthinking the solution - unlike me. Nice simple, foolproof job and easy to make - so shouldn't cost me an arm and leg to get made. can't do the back spacing until I get the sprocket on and aligned - no rush as I only need simple spacers. To be on the safe side I've given myself another 1" [ 3" total ] of ground clearance under the belly fairing, but still got 2.4 Imp gallons. Add the GBFO fuel filler pipe and that's probably closer to 3 galls !!

Beach - love that belly pan shape. Good place to start.

Pipes not so much - yet. They stick out a bit far at the front in their current mock up stage and looking at the left one, it's hard to see how to bring it in tighter - unless you cross them over and allow the left one to dip down so it can be pulled in tight. That could be very trick looking if you can cut and weld the headers to tuck them in nice and tight. Think "perky" rather than "full bodied" for ideas......

teazer said:
Beach - love that belly pan shape. Good place to start.

Pipes not so much - yet. They stick out a bit far at the front in their current mock up stage and looking at the left one, it's hard to see how to bring it in tighter - unless you cross them over and allow the left one to dip down so it can be pulled in tight. That could be very trick looking if you can cut and weld the headers to tuck them in nice and tight. Think "perky" rather than "full bodied" for ideas......

That belly pan was a real shot in the dark ! It's by Ragged Edge Racing - the same guys I got the half fairing from. I just had a set of measurements and a crap photo to go on ! So far it's dropped into place. The back will be extended and moulded round to cover the rear of the fuel cell, and the front will have some sort of mesh grill shaped to meet the engine, but following the general curve.

Exhaust - nowhere near finished playing ! Yes I hear you - I'm thinking neat BSA / Triumph scrambler type fit. As you see it in the pic was just an early throw it together. The nearside pipe will be cut down 3" where it enters the port, which will give me a much neater / tighter curve which in turn will put the collector parallel with the block and about 1" away - at the moment - it's hitting it ! Then the offside pipe from the port will follow very closely and does in fact pretty well line up with the other port. Then the fun starts ! As you know, I am no welder - however with the random bends I bought I can get across to the other port in a neat horizontal sweep - then it's juggling with the other bends I have to get the return into the port. I think I'll have to resort to doing the cut'n shut and then use gaffer tape to hold it all in place until I can get it tacked. Once tacked, I have an ace mig / tig guy that will weld and polish the welds out. This is one area where I am not going to skimp expense - it HAS to look right. What I can't understand, is the when I mocked the exhaust up last year - it WAS tighter and the collector more parallel. Weird - all the bends are the same and I can't see that anything has changed. I'm going to have another go tomorrow - but I think you [ and me ! ] WILL be pleased with the final outcome - I certainly share your vision on this one. ;)

Just realised why it looks so crappy ! - I marked the exhaust where it enters the port where I need to cut it to allow the pipe to go in another 2" and thus tighten the bend up to the engine. Like a twat - I pushed the pipe in to the cut mark - 2" further out ::)!!!! Must try harder ................ 8)

Attachments

• BSA-650-Scrambler-62-1.jpg
    BSA-650-Scrambler-62-1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 2in2.jpg
    2in2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 581
The battery in the belly fairing will only work if I lose .4 gallon [ Imp ], bringing it down to a tad over 2. That's not going to get me touring ! But then, it's not that sort of bike ...... ::) I have plenty of options for the battery - where I originally had it under the seat in the electrics tray - even under the "tank". However, I still have to lose a small Nitrous bottle and associated NOS squitter so I'm trying to keep under the tank a free space.

I dropped the Manx tank cover on tonight and I have to say the overall look is just where I wanted it - straight out of the Sixties. Even the half fairing looks "right". I will still use my one off Brass Monza cap on the tank - but it will be a dummy - as the fuel filler will be in the seat - a la Goldie / Manx central oil tank. However - flip the cap open - and hey presto, there's the ignition switch !! Now everyone knows how to steal my bike ::) !

I thank you all for your continued interest and feedback - appreciated guys. ;)

Looking at those pics it's clearer to see why they cross over to get more space to turn the left pipe. The A10 is much cleaner looking than I had in mind, so as they say

Carry On

Unfortunately I have to come in front of the downtubes - but anyway ...here's today's effort ! The masking tape doesn't quite hold the line firm enough ::), but here's the rough plan. Amazing what you can do with some random bends, an angle grinder, some masking tape and some round pipe lagging [ inside ]. ;) I'm hoping to be able to ship the assembly off to someone who knows what they're doing to tidy it up and get it welded. I have a complete spare set of random bends for them to work with.

Back to the belly fairing next. I need to finalise the actual fuel cell size and shape then I'll get the mounting brackets made. Once that's all rigid I can mock up the various cosmetic closures and panels.

Attachments

• KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 003.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 003.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 155
  • KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 009.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 009.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 156
  • KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 013.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 013.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 144
Back
Top Bottom