www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: "Poor Kid" 1981 CB750K - first build  (Read 29293 times)

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
Re: "Poor Kid" 1981 CB750K - first build
« Reply #40 on: Jun 01, 2013, 00:54:16 »
Motion seconded by Rich... Motion approved. I'll order that sucker immediately!

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
« Reply #41 on: Jun 03, 2013, 13:57:58 »
Brief update:

I ordered a manual petcock and a starter relay, I'm tired of waiting. I'm gonna bypass the petcock vacuum line just like everyone told me. A little grumpy about it but I want to ride my bike, and I can swap it back to the old way just as easily. Waiting on delivery, hoping before Friday.

Also a friend in Dallas (PO actually) tipped me off about a CX500 for sale. Might see some shots of it in the background soon...

1981 CB750K (impatient to ride)

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
« Reply #42 on: Jun 11, 2013, 04:43:47 »
Starter relay reinstalled, and a disappointed face: the petcock was of course, incorrect. It is a petcock specifically for an 81 750K but of course, my tank probably isn't. It could be a tank from an 80, a 79 even.

So naturally I'm kinda pissed but it's what I get for ordering Chinese OE style parts. Shipping it back would cost as much as the refund. Fck it- I just typed in exactly what I needed on eBay.

3/8 NPT female petcock

And now I'm waiting for just that, another universal part. This is the last time I'm messing with this part, especially since I was somewhat goaded or coerced into the plan of vacuum petcock abortion.

So the tank gathers rust yet again and will need to be cleaned before new petcock goes in... AGAIN. Come on now. It's only a matter of days.

But something else is in the works. I've been alerted to the presence of an 81 CX500C in great shape, for a pittance. I've been trying to set the deal up with the owner. He's a retiree in no rush. But there may be another identical year bike in the garage this week... Stay tuned. Gotta keep the ol chin up for a few more days.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2013, 10:01:34 »
slather the inside of the tank with oil, it'll keep the rust from forming
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2013, 15:25:30 »
I did that last time with two stroke oil. Apparently I didn't do it enough

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #45 on: Jun 11, 2013, 16:13:02 »
Wow man, great job attacking this thing especially as a first timer.  All your efforts will be rewarded when you get to ride.  Keep it up.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 65 Norton, my never finished shovelhead chopper, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #46 on: Jun 11, 2013, 16:27:11 »
Cool build so far.  Advice on rust proofing. You have to fill the tank with fuel to the top completely with no air pockets. if you leave air, even with oil you can get rust, no air = no rust. Its called oxidation for a reason.  good luck, you may need to line it will POR 15 to stop it completely, but if you make sure anytime it may sit that you fill it to the top with the petcock closed and stabilized gas it should be ok.

Cheers.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
« Reply #47 on: Jun 12, 2013, 22:15:29 »
Thanks for the props and the advice. I know why it's rusting, i'm just not able to prevent it so well... last time I sealed it up and let it sit completely full of gas and Sta-bil (anti-rust/corrosion) and it still caught some rust. If only bikes had floating ceilings like car tanks...

The NEW new petcock is supposed to be here on Friday. I got some chain and acetone and I'm just gonna put the chain and acetone in there, shake it like a Polaroid until the big surface shit's out, then trust the inline fuel filter.  I should have resealed it but I elected to take the easy way out. So, Friday is the NEW last part day.

There is some great news. I'm picking up another bike tomorrow for certain. A clean titled 1981 CX500C... and when I get it, I'll have two 81 Hondas in the garage. People are telling me not to buy another before the first is finished, but if you knew how cheap it was you'd get it too.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Re: Re: "Poor Kid" 1981 CB750K - first build
« Reply #48 on: Jun 13, 2013, 00:42:24 »
People are telling me not to buy another before the first is finished, but if you knew how cheap it was you'd get it too.

Those people can walk around their garages and aren't to be trusted.

Might want to check to see if you're due for a tetanus booster
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline kraptastic k

• ask me how i got here
« Reply #49 on: Jun 13, 2013, 01:06:36 »
Yeah this bike has lost all its rust... No good anymore. I know the CX needs an igniter which means it's not running, so that's a start?

1981 CB750K
tentative 1981 CX500C