How to get Title in SC

Ellwood

Vintage person on vintage bikes...
This is only good for SC... This title may not be valid if you sell it on to other states. Must be a bike not just a frame.
Fill out a form TI-021A stating how you came into possession of the bike.
Take said bike to DMV and ask for a verification of Vin with a form TI-021B
Get several pictures of the bike (front, back, left, right and the Vin if you can) print them on 4x6 paper
Send it all in to the address on the form and you will get an accepted form TI-021A if all is OK.
Take the accepted form along with a filled out form 400 and some $ to the DMV and you get the Title.
It took some research on this special process but I received my accepted permission to title yesterday in the mail.
Don't be afraid of the looks when you ask for the Vin verification... They will understand that you know what you are doing. If the bike is non operational then the title will be for off road use... And you can submit it for inspection for that restriction to be lifted once the bike has been completed. Hopefully this will help others in this pickle.... But my $100 bike with no title gamble, has paid off!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Awesome!! Congrats on your findings and thanks for posting... Hopefully we can get a database on here for titling in every state... There's a way, we just have to find it and share the knowledge.

Good to know. I hate those assholes at the SC DMV... Had one tell me once to go forge a ton of paperwork and bring it back in. She said she might accept it.

Good to know...thanks for sharing this info! I live in Charleston and I am always passing on bikes with no titles...

No title is still a gamble, but at least there is a way. I felt the sellers story to be true and the red clay under the engine gave him credibility about the bike being from NC. Of course with a 40 something year old bike there is a good chance it will be purged from the system. With the title only being definitely good in SC and suspect elsewhere it won't lend much for selling it on. Unless of course to another South Carolinian. I figure if the price is low enough and the seller's understand their bad position ....good bikes with no title can be salvaged for some good fun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OK...went to the DMV with the Approved TI-021A form
Since my bike was obviously non operational...my title will be marked for off road use only.
Once I get it finished I will have inspected and it can be plated.

A question came up if it would be marked Salvage...answer is NO
I think only bills of sale from insurance companies and auctions are stamped with salvage, (thus the title would be too)

You will not need to pay property taxes.

So my $100 bike cost me $5 for Sales tax, $15 title fee, some pictures and a few stamps to title.

Thanks to this forum and to Ellwood,

I was able to title this bike that I have had sitting in my garage for over 10 years.

There is a lot of paperwork and red tape, but it is possible.

Just takes a lot of time, persistence, and effort.

The SC DMV website is very unclear about the regulations, so if anyone needs any help, you can hit me up.

The catch is, the title is only good in the state of SC.

Attached is the pic of the bike. Just need to get her fine tuned.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    647.5 KB · Views: 375
After trying a bunch of different things I'm going to the Aiken dmv tomorrow to try what Ellwood suggested to get a title for my 78 cb125s. It sounds like a pain in the ass but this whole process has already been. I'll update with results.

Finally got my title and registration today. They said it would be a 4-6 week process but it took 5 months. I'm just glad I can legally ride now.

Back
Top Bottom