Enfield Tracker: War Pig Rennaissance

Tom's got a nice peg mount design shaping up.

Attachments

• 20131024_190711.jpeg
    20131024_190711.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 586
And the possible addition of the disc brake...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382661648521.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382661648521.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 580
I see that you are using Ichiban's tried and true zip tie construction!

Only the green ones are good enough for a quality bulid.

Crazy

All the work of fabricator Tom McVay. I did set the test to see which color he would use...passed with flying, ah, colors.

AgentX said:
Any reason not to use the electroless nickel process? Hoping for some quotes next week. Guessing they will scare me to powder coat options.

Brings back memories of my own Enfileds back in the day ..........

One of the first things we did [ Bullets ] was to strengthen the rear cradle with extra tubing to tie in the swing arm / engine mount area. Enfields have a reputation for "headshaking" and some modern "Cafe Racer" experts [ ha,ha ] who have played with Enfields in recent years have complained about this phenomenon - and attended to the issue by fitting stronger spring forks and a steering damper !

Your builder will know exactly what we're talking about once he takes a look at the rear frame region - you can almost see it whipping about standing still !

The "new" powder coat proceedures to produce a "chrome" like finish seem to be working - maybe thre's a Nickel option ?

Now then - the address of that ex army salvage yard ???????????

Hi, Beach. The added seat sub-frame should help in the stability dept., as it adds further ties between the top tube and the rear cradle.

Part of the issue with the TV segment was that the new "classic" (c5) Enfields speed-wobble even more than the old, possibly attributable to geometry changes induced by use of an 18" wheel set. Enfield shifted to use of a fork with no axle offset on these and now offers them with 19" wheels as well AFAIK.

If you are heading to Hyderabad anytime soon I will be glad to guide you to Universal motors. (By email--I have been outta there for months now!) :)

Oh, and as far as finish goes, I have decided this frame is not anywhere near good looking enough to nickel. Don't put lipstick on a pig...

Whole bike will get ral6006 grey-olive powder. Maaaybe I will matte silver the frame but unlikely. Using a stock powder will make it easy to get a match on engine parts with Ace and frame parts here in RI.

So this is the machine that you spoke of at Barber. I like it, like its hideously beautiful. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

AgentX said:
Hi, Beach. The added seat sub-frame should help in the stability dept., as it adds further ties between the top tube and the rear cradle.

Part of the issue with the TV segment was that the new "classic" (c5) Enfields speed-wobble even more than the old, possibly attributable to geometry changes induced by use of an 18" wheel set. Enfield shifted to use of a fork with no axle offset on these and now offers them with 19" wheels as well AFAIK.

If you are heading to Hyderabad anytime soon I will be glad to guide you to Universal motors. (By email--I have been outta there for months now!) :)

I'd still put money on the main issue being the weak support around the s/arm engine mount. Later Enfields [ Connies etc. ] addressed this point admirably.

My 1955 Track Bullet [ in 1966 ] had the rear end mods and ran Norton forks with no offset axle. 19" front 18" rear.

It would keep up with most mid pack 500s, but lost out ultimately in the bhp stakes.

I hear what you say about the frame finish - seen the bird shit welding on the NEW Enfield Continental GT ????

Clem, thanks...that's about what I think of it, too. :D

beachcomber said:
I'd still put money on the main issue being the weak support around the s/arm engine mount. Later Enfields [ Connies etc. ] addressed this point admirably.

My 1955 Track Bullet [ in 1966 ] had the rear end mods and ran Norton forks with no offset axle. 19" front 18" rear.

It would keep up with most mid pack 500s, but lost out ultimately in the bhp stakes.

I hear what you say about the frame finish - seen the bird shit welding on the NEW Enfield Continental GT ????

Comber, the C5s have essentially the same frame as the older (iron barrel, AVL, and UCE) bullets, so the prevailing wisdom was that the additional wobble over the old models was due to geometry changes...I can vouch for nothing, having never ridden the C5/"classic" models.

I saw the Continental at Barber but didn't look closely enough at the welds to notice anything different. Simply assumed the build quality would be as "good enough!" (India's national motto) as the rest of the bikes. (India's second national motto should be "Don't look any closer!") Too bad, because I thought the idea of a double-cradle frame might be one of the better aspects of this newer design...especially given the fact that this engine has not escaped the event horizon of its rather mediocre genealogy, despite the modest displacement bump and allegedly hotter cams.

AgentX said:
Clem, thanks...that's about what I think of it, too. :D

Comber, the C5s have essentially the same frame as the older (iron barrel, AVL, and UCE) bullets, so the prevailing wisdom was that the additional wobble over the old models was due to geometry changes...I can vouch for nothing, having never ridden the C5/"classic" models.

I saw the Continental at Barber but didn't look closely enough at the welds to notice anything different. Simply assumed the build quality would be as "good enough!" (India's national motto) as the rest of the bikes. (India's second national motto should be "Don't look any closer!") Too bad, because I thought the idea of a double-cradle frame might be one of the better aspects of this newer design...especially given the fact that this engine has not escaped the event horizon of its rather mediocre genealogy, despite the modest displacement bump and allegedly hotter cams.

I'm not knocking the frame design - just the execution ! A bit like looking at early Japanese frame welding !

All our Bike mags [ and European + US Cafe Racer ] are full of the mass launch they did in the UK centred around The Ace and Brooklands. Harris Performance [ UK ] were responsible for the design consultancy on the frame, RIGIDITY being their main design brief - so I think that can be declared as having a clean bill of health.

One interesting point that came out from one of the UK testers when he interviewed the Indian CEO - for YEARS [ 15 ? ] there have been rumours around the industry that Enfield were toying with bringing back the Twins - specifically the 750s. There was even a very strong rumour that there was a running prototype that the previous owners had produced. The question wasn't denied outright, sidestepped with "no plans for the immediate future". Which is what they said 2 years ago about the Continental GT. I discussed this point with the previous UK Importer / agents [ Watsonian ] - and the CEO's answer to tht question was "Wait and see", with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Re: the frame headshake issue - you will probably be familiar with the 60's notion that "Triumph frames were hinged in the middle". They suffered violent headshake / tank slappers caused by the rear end whipping around. You could actually see this if followed one round a fast sweeping bend. No doubt why so many Triumph engines found their way into Norton and BSA frames !

The Vincent twins were also known for these tank slapper tendancies - I witnessed one at first hand when a good pal of mine lost his Shadow at 110 mph ! HE was OK - the bike not so, and yes the engine DID end up in a Norton frame ! I have always been amazed at how flimsy the rear end is on a Vincent - check the swing arm / shock mounts compared to a Yamaha TR1 / XV. This observation comes from 60 + years in speciality chassis design / construction business [ auto ] and designing spaceframe chassis'.

ALL that said, for ordinary road use and a bit of mud plugging the standard frames have been round long enough to be "good enough".

Just want to thank Mike aka Agentx for all the shout outs so far and to all that are following the final peg mounts should finished up by Sunday at the latest along with the alloy seat mount and other odds and ends. Will get the pictures up for all to see asap. I am just as excited as the rest of you, for this sure is a fun and interesting project to be working on.

Tom
McVay Motorworks
mcvaymotorworks@gmail.com

Tom made up the mount for my spin on filter to put it in a less exposed location.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383094258392.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383094258392.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,314
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383094277163.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383094277163.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,536
Seat and pegs. Undertray and tail light integration are slick.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384128982210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384128982210.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 505
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384128948730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384128948730.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 496
Pics. Seat attaches using 3 captive dzus fasteners. Subframe made of aluminum is about 7 lbs lighter, being conservative.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384129050388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384129050388.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 491
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384129073868.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384129073868.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 521
Tracker bars which will replace the clip ons. Will have a totally new dash with a large tacho pod and a mini speedo, canted back towards the rider's field of view.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384129276846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384129276846.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 508
I think thats looking good Agent...I'm digging that rear section. Nice aluminum work.

New horn location is tighter up and neat. Oil filter in a much better place than low and directly behind the front wheel.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384129355086.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384129355086.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 486
I managed to take some parts to paint before I split town. May be back home at Thanksgiving to get some more done, if I don't get deployed by then...

Aesthetics question while I'm looking at wheel-building options:

Rims: bare alloy Excels, or Sun gold ano?? Now I'm thinking that a painted tail section and gold rims might look good.

Back
Top Bottom