Xr250 street tracker

Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out!

The rear tire is tubeless and the front has a tube. This is because of shinko's tire sizes, the 120-17 is a tube type tire and the 130-17 isn't. I didn't want to risk running a tube tire without one even though my rims are a tubeless type(a $20 tube is cheap insurance). I now know I would be able to squeeze a 130 up front and would recommend anyone else to do so if they had the same setup. Which is: gs500 mags front+rear, gsxr 600/750 forks, custom spacers in the back(easy to make) and a custom front axle that I made. I hope the info helps!

Just curious, are you trying to get a title for this thing? I'm from NC where it's nearly impossible to do so on a machine like this.

Or are you from one of those awesome states where it's a non issue?

It came with a title. The xr250 L models where street legal and titled for us roads with l the dot crap from the factory. That said my state is terrible to get titles in but I do have a legal way around it if need be, just a few bucks and some time for me.

Thanks for the love serial!

Quick update; I've only been able to sneak a few hours in here and there in between customer bikes but here's today's.

Finally got new swingarm bearings in, rear swinger and custom dog bone came back from powder, made some rear axle spacers for the brake upgrade, finished the headlight battery box and got it in primer,
Shaved the tabs for gauge mounts of my upper triple, made a slick new mount for the acewell speedo, primed the modded upper triple finally, and tested my led headlight w/relay out its bright as f&$k!

Tomorrow I might be able to sneak in another few hours button up the paint and front end and get the wiring started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 462
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 447
Looking sooooo awesome! I love that tank, and the stance, and the seat, and the tires... I could go on. Did you have to do anything funny to get the sprockets to line up? I've got a similar rear wheel, and its way offset. What bike is your rear wheel off of?

Thanks Joe.
The wheels are off a suzuki gs500. It only took me a little bit of work to make a custom spacer so I could line it all up. It does have upgraded sprockets to an oring type, but they line up to be pretty close before hand. I've got a full fab shop so it's never too much trouble to make things work just time. If your local to me I can lend a hand.

Not so much local. I'm about 3000 miles away, but thanks for the offer. My rear rim is from a 94-99 Katana GSX750, which should be very similar to a GS500 rim, but there may be width differences. I have two problems, sprocket alignment, and the whole wheel/brake assembly is about 1/4" to long to fit in my swingarm. What's your swingarm inside measurement? I'll have to measure mine and see how close it is to yours. Maybe a GS500 is narrower and could work with my setup. Thanks!

Joe I know the gs wheels are a common xr swap to get supermoto tires on for cheap money vs. custom spokes.

A lot of the guys who do it end up having to take about 1/4-1/2" off of the caliper carrier, this lets the wheel shift to right so you can line up the cogs. The rear end is all bolted together so I can't get a good measurement for you next time I take apart if I have to I'll snag a measurement for ya. The wheels came with the bike and a box of parts I'm not sure where some of the stuff came from I just made it work, I believe my carrier is a gs500 thru-axle mount unit and I didn't have to do any work to it, I did have to add an adjustable mount to the swinger so it doesn't flop around.

I want to say the common and easier way is to use the xr caliper carrier that slots into the inside of the swinger (which I shaved off), and thats what I think causes wheel mis-alignment. Don't quote me on that I'm going off memory from several months ago and I have trouble remembering what I made for breakfast some days unless I write it down.

Cool info. Thanks! I never thought about machining the caliper carrier down. Now I have another avenue to pursue to see if I can get it all lined up. Can't wait to see your finished product. That thing's gonna be light and nimble!

Progress is slow this week while I've been working on a customers ar80 resto. but there is some none the less. Finally got the battery box done primed and painted with the triples today. With any luck I'll be able to wire it next week and get started on the carb/custom exhaust.

Side note if any one in central mass needs really good paint and resto work let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 457
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 486
I've been getting the wiring and switch gear sorted. Also had to make a a new throttle slide since I'm using an odd size 2 stroke carb to fit my intake boot. Ordered some electrical bits and waiting on exhaust tubing now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,734
Back
Top Bottom