1975 CB550 K Rebuild & Minor Mods

It has been a while, have made a little progress of recent.

Installed new oil filter, o-rings & magnets.
IMG_1281_zps4u5jcevp.jpg

Got some keys cut to suit, then I was able to remove, clean & lube the steering lock.
IMG_1333_zpsnjdq13rl.jpg

Installed the triple tree, omitted the top dust deal. Also fitted the idiot lights and new superbike bars + Oury grips.
IMG_1330_zpsitncz0gb.jpg

Refreshed the airbox plastics and inner fender with peanut oil, pretty happy with the results. Also left a few rubber bits to soak, as I couldn't get any wintergreen easily - the rubber bits came out really good. Renewed and very pliable once again.
IMG_1334_zpsqjkme89v.jpg

IMG_1329_zpsbklzxotc.jpg

Have been working on cleaning up the clutch assembly. The steel plates had some rust & gunk from sitting. I cleaned that up with a brass wire wheel, no more rust and they have a brushed finish, hopefully that'll provide a suitable finish with enough tooth.
Checked the steel plates for warpage - all OK.
Started putting the clutch back together, with the beveled edge of the steel plates facing outwards. (thats how I found them upon pulling it apart)
IMG_1294_zpslueut6me.jpg

IMG_1323_zpsxcutyjoc.jpg

118443e7-1daf-4328-b8c3-d583dc3d1c4a_zpso5if5cog.jpg

I thought replacing the seat cover was going to be a quick job. Had to drill the heads off the passenger strap screws, then found this. Cleaned it up, and painted it with some rust reformer. Still waiting on some trim to finish off the seat
IMG_1352_zpsuav4txjp.jpg

Starting cleaning up the shocks - decided to ditch the rust collecting cap. Got the battery box cleaned up and fitted. Clutch is all buttoned up now too.
IMG_1614_zpsd08ye1tk.jpg

Got the swing arm rebuilt with new brass bushes from Kenosha_kid & new shock bushes.
The swing arm collar had seen better days, so I got a new one. Also drilled and tapped the bolt for new grease nipples.
IMG_1603_zps2k8setpi.jpg

Repaired the side covers using an old ABS recorder & some acetone. After some sanding, some filler & some primer filler they came up pretty well. Got the first coat of colour down, got a bit of orange peel though.
Need to do some more wet sanding & colour. Also toying with the idea of putting down some blue flake in the clear when I get there.
24665-07_zps8mmdrznv.jpg

IMG_1282_zps11732449.jpg

IMG_1608_zpstpilrx76.jpg

Picked up a set 627B's cheap- the original brass has been pilfered and replaced with repop bits.
The 022A's I've got are in need of work, so for the moment the plan is to clean up the 627's & fit them with the brass from the 022's. Hopefully I'll get the carbs sorted over these cold months, and then get some painting done when the weather warms up.
IMG_1615_zps4xxduzwf.jpg

IMG_1616_zps2cgoovus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom