www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1980 GS550E + 2000 Katana 750  (Read 2599 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 1980 GS550E + 2000 Katana 750
« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2018, 12:48:58 »
  Then I stripped it all back down again.

I spent a couple of hours this morning making my fingers sore. When I stripped the wheels a while back, I noticed some oxidation. I went through a couple of grades of sand paper, then switched to several stages of SkotchBrite pads.
 At this stage, they have a nice brushed/satin finish. I'm 95% sure I'm going to stop there. I need to decide whether I want the centers black or graphite.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2018, 13:56:19 »
Also, since I originally intended to fix up the GS550 with more of a stock vibe, I had started collecting some parts before I went the GSX750 route.
I was tired of tripping over parts in the garage, so I took the spare frame I got from eBay and cleaned it up and painted it. I rebuilt the forks with new seals/oil, Sonic spring and valve emulators. Found a nice set of used Koni shocks for the rear. Cleaned and greased all bearings, etc. Cleaned, painted and polished up the stock wheels and installed slotted rotors from a later model.
Turned out pretty nice considering I used parts I had on hand and lots of elbow grease. This one will get the stock GS550 engine (after I re-seal it), carbs and exhaust, plus some custom bodywork. In the mean time, it's easier to store a rolling frame than piles and piles of parts.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2018, 14:47:17 »
 It doesn't look like much, but this pic represents working rear brakes with a much larger swing arm.
 I used a GS850 rear master (same as the 550 but with a longer push rod) and we bent the actuator arm from the 550. It's tight, but it clears. I'll use a banjo bolt style brake switch, since there's nowhere for the stock spring to fit now.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2018, 14:52:58 »
 I ran into a snag fitting the '95 BST-36 carbs. The manifolds that come with the carbs don't match the head. There's a HUGE mis-match to the ports. The old manifolds are taller and would cause the pods to hit the frame.
 Suzuki did a lot of superseding over the years, and parts were often used, discontinued, then brought back on another model, only to be superseded again. It makes researching parts VERY difficult.
 I'm going on the suggestions of a friend and I ordered a set of Bandit 1200 manifolds. Let's hope they work, since the 36's have been rebuilt and I bought a jet kit for them.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #34 on: Aug 17, 2018, 14:56:11 »
 I did pick up a Giuliari seat, though!

And I polished up the lips of the wheels to a satin finish, paint detailed the centers, and installed the rotors, which had also been detailed.
 New Shinko 712's were also installed.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #35 on: Aug 23, 2018, 17:52:52 »
Fitted a GSXR 1100 fender to the Katana forks for more of an old school look.

Finally got the correct manifolds to fit the BST-36 carbs to the 750 head. These are used on GSXR1100's and Bandit 1200's.

The filters are a tight fit to the frame, but the motor goes where the motor goes. There's no way to tilt it forward or move it down anymore. The mashed part won't be visible once the tank is on.

And speaking of the tank, I'm going to have to raise the back slightly. The petcock would foul the filter otherwise. I'll probably trim off that small ear on the end of the lever for more clearance, too.

And come up with some sort of bracket here to lift the tank slightly.

Once I get that sorted, it'll be time to pull the engine and get it on the stand for detailing and a tune up, and to get the frame and swing arm painted up.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2018, 15:38:33 »
 First, I want to apologize for the pics. My phone sucks and the light in my garage tends to wash it out. It's nearly impossible to get good pics in there. It looks like I used a potato instead of a camera!

I have received a few comments/PM's about the shock and swing arm angle and length. I agree that it's steeper/longer than I would like, but there's a ton of work getting it centered and clearancing for the chain. Many of the pics showed the bike on the lift/center stand and the swinger drooped. I considered a different swinger; GS1100E, Bandit 1200, etc., but at this point I think it would be easier to work with what I have.

I put the wheels back on the bike and set it down on it's on weight. The jack is just keeping the bike from tipping over, not lifting it at all. The shocks are 14" and set on the medium setting. I *still* feel like we could have laid down the shocks a bit more but, as you can see, the shock and swingarm angle aren't as bad as when it was on the center stand/lift and not rear wheel in.

This is workable. And if it just handles too poorly or annoys me too much, I think it would be easier to go with some 13" shocks and maybe even have the chain adjuster slots machined longer and the end of the swingarm cut off a like amount. That would shorten the wheel base, lower the stance and lessen the swing arm angle. All without having to start from scratch.