www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)  (Read 52066 times)

Online doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)
« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:09:45 »
Thanks guys. been chipping away. should have an update sometime soon.

BTW CarbsAndCylinders have you posted any more pics of your Harris Z1? that has been a dream of mine for a while. probably easier to build a replica than find one of those. nice bike.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014, 05:11:31 by doc_rot »

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2014, 14:26:44 »
I will take some more pics of it.  The PO who built the bike, spent a lot of money and time on it.  I am really looking forward to watching your build!

Brian
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline rundown

« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2014, 22:09:55 »
Glad to see those molds were for the gauges, for a minute I thought you were making some kind of strange brassiere, didn't know what DTT was coming to.  Great work.

Offline m511y

• Less is more
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2014, 22:42:28 »
I'm keeping an eye on this one. Such amazing fab work. Your giving me tons of ideas.

Offline HollywoodMX

« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2014, 13:15:21 »
Nice build and cray detail. Please tell me you are going to ditch the pos stock rear break though.
TR1 Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54733.0
Xv920 Tracker thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59754.15

77 KZ1075 Supercharged - 81 Yamaha XV920rh (x2) - 06 YZ250 highly modified - 08 Hyabusa

"I live my life a 1/4 beer at a time"

Online doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:28:31 »
Nice build and cray detail. Please tell me you are going to ditch the pos stock rear break though.

Thanks man. I didn't like the looks of the factory A1 caliper when I first swapped it. It is a bit bigger than the stock LTD caliper. However its looks have grown on me. I think it matches the Grimeca calipers pretty well and and looks like the most seventies caliper i have ever seen.  Its a 43mm dual piston caliper so it will have no trouble locking up the rear wheel if I want to, probably when I don't want to as well.   ::) The only real performance benefit that would come from a swap is weight savings. Which I may do in the future because i'm too stupid to leave things alone. I just rebuilt/painted it. It was pretty roached. both pistons were shot and the only replacements I could find came from the UK so it was not inexpensive. I also rebuilt the MC and painted that as well. I used Gun Kote, which is IMHO the only caliper paint worth a shit because it is completely impervious to solvents, and I have yet to bleed a caliper and not get brake fluid everywhere. I also had the rear disk refinished and drilled. It had pretty deep grooves and some run out. Blingin!

I swear its the small stuff that takes the longest. I got the turn signal mounts, taillight mounts, tailpiece mounts, and tank mount finalized. I also made a steering stop, but my buddy thought it was a bit crude so he spent like 2 hours remaking it. Glad he's on my team, the damn perfectionist...

I have now turned my attention to the seat. I remade my seat pan. and bought a bunch of foam.

I have sewn a bit, but it is not my strongest suit. I ran a couple test seams on some vinyl with sew-foam using different weights of thread, and trying out a couple different stitch patterns. I was struggling to use my mothers sewing machine so she offered to help me with the final. I need to make a pattern first. Stay tuned, I should have the seat finished this weekend.  8)

Two stroke sewing machine...

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2014, 08:19:03 by doc_rot »

Offline HollywoodMX

« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2014, 19:00:46 »
Thanks man. I didn't like the looks of the factory A1 caliper when I first swapped it. It is a bit bigger than the stock LTD caliper. However its looks have grown on me. I think it matches the Grimeca calipers pretty well and and looks like the most seventies caliper i have ever seen.  Its a 43mm dual piston caliper so it will have no trouble locking up the rear wheel if I want to, probably when I don't want to as well.   ::) The only real performance benefit that would come from a swap is weight savings. Which I may do in the future because i'm too stupid to leave things alone. I just rebuilt/painted it. It was pretty roached. both pistons were shot and the only replacements I could find came from the UK so it was not inexpensive. I also rebuilt the MC and painted that as well. I used Gun Kote, which is IMHO the only caliper paint worth a shit because it is completely impervious to solvents, and I have yet to bleed a caliper and not get brake fluid everywhere. I also had the rear disk refinished and drilled. It had pretty deep grooves and some run out. Blingin!

I swear its the small stuff that takes the longest. I got the turn signal mounts, taillight mounts, tailpiece mounts, and tank mount finalized. I also made a steering stop, but my buddy thought it was a bit crude so he spent like 2 hours remaking it. Glad he's on my team, the damn perfectionist...

I have now turned my attention to the seat. I remade my seat pan. and bought a bunch of foam.

I have sewn a bit, but it is not my strongest suit. I ran a couple test seams on some vinyl with sew-foam using different weights of thread, and trying out a couple different stitch patterns. I was struggling to use my mothers sewing machine so she offered to help me with the final. I need to make a pattern first. Stay tuned, I should have the seat finished this weekend.  8)

Two stroke sewing machine...

Sweet update.

Try it out but I think that rear caliper setup works like ass. On my z1 in mint shape it was terrible.
TR1 Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54733.0
Xv920 Tracker thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59754.15

77 KZ1075 Supercharged - 81 Yamaha XV920rh (x2) - 06 YZ250 highly modified - 08 Hyabusa

"I live my life a 1/4 beer at a time"

Offline Erskine

« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2014, 19:20:17 »
Top banana.

Online doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2014, 18:00:12 »
Sweet update.

Try it out but I think that rear caliper setup works like ass. On my z1 in mint shape it was terrible.

The Z1 never came with a rear disk. If you had this caliper, the entire rear end would have to be swapped, and a bracket for the MC / pushrod pivot made. No offense intended, but I wonder if you had the correct components set up properly, mint or not. I hardly ever use my rear brake, except in emergency braking situations, or on dirt/grass/gravel. In any of those scenarios you do not want an aggressive rear brake or the rear will lock up. I'm sure this setup will have plenty of brake force.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2014, 20:52:05 »
The Z1 never came with a rear disk. If you had this caliper, the entire rear end would have to be swapped, and a bracket for the MC / pushrod pivot made. No offense intended, but I wonder if you had the correct components set up properly, mint or not. I hardly ever use my rear brake, except in emergency braking situations, or on dirt/grass/gravel. In any of those scenarios you do not want an aggressive rear brake or the rear will lock up. I'm sure this setup will have plenty of brake force.
that huge boat anchor heavy KZ disc and caliper is just horrible though  :-[ :-\
why not put something svelt on it ? and your swingarm bracing is a bit over the top as well,too deep it doesn't look right