modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)

Making a turbo kit yourself on these bikes is dead easy as long as you get yourself a carbon sealed turbo. Make sure you get a carbon sealed GT25 or GT28 with a ballbearing and even the low oilpressure shouldn't be much of an issue. For the oil-feed you can use the check plug behind the cylinder with a restrictor.

If you want to save yourself a lot of headache go for the biggest Mikuni flatslide you can find, which currently I think is a HSR48 and have a look at classic Mr. Turbo and ATP kits. Instead of the 70ies-style flat flanges, I'd do some V-band flanges instead as they seal nicer and align better.

You'll get away with up to around 7 or 8PSI on standard compression ratios and stock pistons. (Nothing fancy in that respect on my Turbo TR1, I can assure you!) If you want to go higher, turbo pistons and lowered compression are a must. Even though you might be able to sneak in the odd PSI by running a boost retarded ignition and water-meth injection, but really you're living on the edge by then and one thing going wrong basically means boom.

Been riding this bike a lot. Had it down at Laguna Seca for WSBK and Moto America. Camped at the track, good times.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 458
Just read the entire post...what an awesome build!
Can you fill me in on the seat latch that you used? Thank ya much.

Jens

squirley said:
Just read the entire post...what an awesome build!
Can you fill me in on the seat latch that you used? Thank ya much.

Jens

I don't remember exactly what i used, i just typed "atv seat latch" in ebay and picked one that looked like it would work.
something like this. too far back to look up, so i'm not sure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-91-Suzuki-LT230E-LT230-QuadRunner-Seat-Latch-Release-Cable-Support-Bracket/312001798160?hash=item48a4c1a010:g:DvEAAOSwGwlaASJD&vxp=mtr

I use them for most of my bikes, too. GSXR pillion seat latches are usually what I get. Same thing. Certain model Kawasaki street bikes, like Ninjas use them too.

It gets hot here in the summer, sitting in traffic a few times i could listen to the idle change as it started to overheat, a cooler probably wont help with that unless i get a small fan on there (maybe I will?) but I figure anything helps. I think this cooler is supposed to go concave forward but it fits better this way. Does this look stupid oriented this direction?

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 342
doc_rot said:
Been riding this bike a lot.

Love that header. Rode a 750 with one and just got hooked on the constant-diameter Yoshi headers from then on.

I like the cooler ( and the rest of the bike 8) ) I think it fits well with your chunky lower tree. I have found oil coolers to make a difference even in traffic. If it gets cold in winter with you maybe a thermostat would be a good idea. I like curves so Iʻm pleased to see a cooler with shape

I like external oil coolers, they work. I have one on the shovel, I'll be adding one to the commando at some point too. Yours looks better the way you have it oriented. I'd use a good thermostat for it too.

I was never really happy with the seat, it was the first one I ever made so mistakes were abundant. There was a small gap at the back, the vinyl i used was very slippery so its was hard to hang off the bike and feel comfortable, and the foam was OK, but I feel like it needs to be firmer and a little more sculpted.

I started with a new pan in 5052. this is the most in depth metal shaping project I have ever done, and i Learned a lot on the way. The pans a bit crude but it will get covered with foam. I need to get some more tools.....

any suggestions or foam? i was thinking about layering neoprene

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 453
My first attempt was using carpet padding foam - the shreded and glued back together type. Glue down (I used 3M 80 spray) a rough layer, shape with an electric carving knife (ebay - DON'T use the wife's!) Glue another layer, repeat. Final smooth with a very course sanding disk on a grinder.
886057d05745c1b6fdece3b6e22a69df.jpg
cd551b729f164535f0ac17d96b72af5c.jpg
d12d220cb2221d2ee55d2bfcc4417bd6.jpg

You could cast your own shape like I did on my BMW with Smooth-On FlexFoam-iT. They have densities up to 25lb per cubic feet. I used 7FR on the BMW. FR=fire resistant.

The oil cooler adapter that I bought to bolt on the engine came with 1/4" NPT fittings which I have realized are way too small. I need to run at least a 3/8NPT to get a 12mm ID, and I need a -10 AN fitting as well, which means the cooler I bought has too small of fittings. The bummer is Earl's only makes these curved oil coolers with -6 and -8 fittings, so I need to find a new cooler.

Any suggestions for a cooler? I would love a curved one, but i cant find any that have -10AN fittings.

I think I have read that an oil cooler for an MG B will work on a bike.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Oil-Coolers-for-MG-MGB/46095/bn_21423659

doc_rot said:
The oil cooler adapter that I bought to bolt on the engine came with 1/4" NPT fittings which I have realized are way too small. I need to run at least a 3/8NPT to get a 12mm ID, and I need a -10 AN fitting as well, which means the cooler I bought has too small of fittings. The bummer is Earl's only makes these curved oil coolers with -6 and -8 fittings, so I need to find a new cooler.

Any suggestions for a cooler? I would love a curved one, but i cant find any that have -10AN fittings.

Ebay is fat with oil cooler options.

Like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-248mm-7-Row-AN10-Aluminum-Engine-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Silver-Kits/112359545763?fits=Make%3AMG%7CModel%3AMGB

I finally pulled my finger out and brought the bike to JP at Jp's Custom Seats in Los Angeles. The guy is a master, and super cool. With the increase in horsepower and braking abilities my original seat was not up to the job. With the old seat if I whacked the throttle wide open I could slide all the way back which would move the COG back and make power wheelies way too easy, and terrifying. This new seat is much more sculpted to hold me in place. I had him do a bunch of materials and lines to help break up the mass of the thicker seat. The small strip around the pleats is “grabber” vinyl and is quite tacky. It should help with hanging off the bike. Gonna put it through the paces this weekend!

Attachments

• D07A6473-6985-4273-86D4-019843596B48.jpeg
    D07A6473-6985-4273-86D4-019843596B48.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 346
  • B63A1C2E-8A10-4269-AF76-17011AEB15CA.jpeg
    B63A1C2E-8A10-4269-AF76-17011AEB15CA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 356
Back
Top Bottom