www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing  (Read 38001 times)

Offline xb33bsa

Re: Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk Bobber Thing
« Reply #30 on: Jun 03, 2014, 02:51:32 »
a) Glad to hear it.
b) It'll have wheels and an engine, they'll be attached to one-another, it should get the job done.
c) Yes. What would be the point in doing the same thing all over again?

but indeed you will be copying a sickeningly common, poorly functioning design

Offline Tremelune

« Reply #31 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:45:37 »
but indeed you will be copying a sickeningly common, poorly functioning design

I mean...that's every cruiser ever made. They're real popular.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #32 on: Jun 03, 2014, 12:20:32 »
I mean...that's every cruiser ever made. They're real popular.
the average american motorcycle rider wouldn't know a good functioning motorcycle if you ran over them with it
i was more reffering to a total lack of suspension with a "slammed" look
it looks like something a gang bangin' crank smoker would build and is so overdone, because like i said, any idiot can build one
dont get me wrong i think the steampunk fashion cues are pretty cool but what he has envisioned is not very creative and would be a poorly functioning motorcycle
i could see doing a steampunk on a chassis designed around an earles type front and a plunger rear ,this would really open up the canvas  :) and with some creative engineering could also function quite well

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #33 on: Jun 03, 2014, 13:39:23 »
Build it man.  I've been trying to get through your thread on SOHC4.  Hilarious.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline Noddy78

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Atomic Blender
« Reply #34 on: Jun 03, 2014, 18:47:37 »
because like i said, any idiot can build one

Let's try not to let this thread descend into another SOHC4 arrangement shall we? That's cool, you don't like the style, I agree, it's not hugely 'functional', but that's not why I'm doing it. And I doubt any idiot can build what I'm planning, but maybe they can... and good luck to them too if they can! I'm learning how to weld, braze, form metal to build a tank (who knows if that will come off), veneer and various other skills that will help me build various different bikes (and various other objects) in the future. This is the one I've chosen to do this time. The next one might be different. Your objections are duly noted, but it's not going to change anything, so if it's not for you, move on. Easy.
CB350 Steampunk(ish) Frankenstein Cafe Thing called Isabel:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33668.0

CB750 Steampunk(ish) Thing called Douglas:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59611.0

Offline Noddy78

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Atomic Blender
« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2014, 02:22:29 »
Oooo, fun things in the mail...

The second one has already been pretty bastardised by someone, so I'm going to have to learn to un-braze too...
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 22:13:56 by Noddy78 »

Offline 83cb650sc

« Reply #36 on: Jun 13, 2014, 06:21:33 »
Sweet mother of God, what is up with all of the "no, don't destroy that precious SOHC 750 angel/holy grail/gift from the heavens"? Those SOHC4 boys are a bit touched in the head...

As for the question of functionality, that's purely relative. A brand new Goldwing has awful functionality...as a race bike. Point being, if certain things are done to a bike that hurts it's functionality, that's not really a problem as long as it's not meant to do those things anyway. So Noddy, if you plan on cross country trips with this build, then the hardtail probably isn't the best idea  ;D.

Can't say that steampunk is my most favorite thing ever, but from your concept picture, and seeing the result of your first build, I think it'll look good when it's all said and done. Have a blast with it......

...and maybe post a video of all the unused stock stuff being burned and beaten over at SOHC...(not that I'm a vindictive type of person or anything)...

Offline Noddy78

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Atomic Blender
« Reply #37 on: Jun 20, 2014, 02:48:08 »
Sweet mother of God, what is up with all of the "no, don't destroy that precious SOHC 750 angel/holy grail/gift from the heavens"? Those SOHC4 boys are a bit touched in the head...

I especially liked the bit where Terry suggests I should do this to a much rarer, older British or American bike... geez, imagine the shit-storm if this is the response I get for doing it to a Honda!

So, if I can't do too much building, I CAN do shopping...

So, a nice vintage Italian Ducati 19x2.15 40H I picked up from a bloke in Melbourne for $30...

PLUS a 16x3.00 Harley rear:

EQUALS vintage whitewall goodness:

Add in the obligatory new bearings and brakes:

And get the lot ready to send out for powdercoating:

I've also got a spoke sitting in a bucket of vinegar out the back that's got the chrome flaking off already (gotta love cheap spokes) ready to try a rust-patina'ed effect. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 22:14:43 by Noddy78 »

Offline MILKY

• cafe con leche
    • Garage Artists MC
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2014, 12:45:09 »
I especially liked the bit where Terry suggests I should do this to a much rarer, older British or American bike... geez, imagine the shit-storm if this is the response I get for doing it to a Honda!

So, if I can't do too much building, I CAN do shopping...

So, a nice vintage Italian Ducati 19x2.15 40H I picked up from a bloke in Melbourne for $30...

PLUS a 16x3.00 Harley rear:

EQUALS vintage whitewall goodness:

Add in the obligatory new bearings and brakes:

And get the lot ready to send out for powdercoating:

I've also got a spoke sitting in a bucket of vinegar out the back that's got the chrome flaking off already (gotta love cheap spokes) ready to try a rust-patina'ed effect. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

your reply (paraphrase) "its not as if customizing motorbikes will ever catch on" ha ha ha... mind you i kinda see his point about using a cheaper older brit bike.. like a villiers excelsior maybe?! i dunno i love your vision what ever bike you use.. seems like terry may have read up on steampunk and decided that a jap bike didnt fit the mould.

Offline Noddy78

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Atomic Blender
« Reply #39 on: Aug 05, 2014, 05:49:18 »
Well, I did say it was going to take a while... but slow progress is still progress....

Rebuilt the carbs, painted, polished and velocity-stacked:

Un-fucked what will be the tail-light and found some replacement pieces to make it (mostly) whole again (just the beginning of finding plumbing bits to recycle... Terry will love it):

Rims and hubs back from the powder-coaters, done in "Sahara Black", looks like iron, I love it:

And messed around with the rusting spokes idea. Colour-wise worked really well, unfortunately the sealer just makes them too shiny and is not particularly hard-wearing, so with that and the fact that the Radaelli wheel requires shorter spokes than the original means the test-spokes are pretty-much useless. But, worth a try. So I've since got some SS custom spokes made up and just thinking of other options for dulling them off suitably. Someone suggested Copper-plating them, and I think that's probably the next path do investigate, but I can't imagine an electroplater being too chuffed about plating 80 spokes...

Aaanyway, still no garage, but plodding along with what I can...
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 22:15:23 by Noddy78 »