Xs500 project

Ok so I took some advice and shortened the tail section. I cut off the front section, then used tape to measure the section I wanted to remove. Then I bolted the remaining halves to the seat pan. What do you guys think? Sorry for the messy background

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 567
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 577
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 585
So I am installing my throttle controls and the throttle sleeve is shorter than my new grips. Anyone have a solution for this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 559
So I decided I would try to clean up my spokes. I heard of using oxalic acid to remove rust, and I had used vinegar in the past to clean up brass. Vinegar is essentially acetic acid so I put one spoke in a tub of vinegar with some occasional light rubbing with fine steel wool and the spoke cleaned up nicely. Here's a before and after:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 509
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 507
Nice work on the spokes !

Yes you can replace the throttle tube ProMotion makes them and a 1 into 2 cable !

Once your spokes are clean, make sure you put something on them to protect from corrosion.
They will rust right back up in a week if you don't.

So my vinegar treatment was a failure, my spokes were too baddly rusted and needed so much time in the vinegar that the factory plating came off and left bare steel. I tried to clear coat them but they flash rusted just the same. They need to be glass beaded and sent out for cad plating. Unless I find a place to do it cheaply I think it's time for new rims an a call to Buchanan's.

Sorry I haven't posted in quite a while, been busy. Moved, started a new job.....
Anyway I bought a blast cabinet so I can restore my wheels. I finished the rear today.
Here's what I've got

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 315
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    822.8 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 335
It's an rd350 hub with Mike's 2.15in shouldered rim and nos rd spokes.
The hub was glass beaded and clear coated with Eastwood semi-gloss for bare metal

1312fa7c08580b33229310ae888cabd4.jpg

Added some new clip ons, rebuilt the master cylinder and got my rear brake working. I know that doesn't sound like much but the bike originally had a disk rear and the front has been seized since 1980.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice job on the wheels sir . You got farther then I did on them. After looking up how much a new set up would cost I was done lol ! Went with RD400 wheels and after Mr.longhorn wagged his beard I went with disk all around . Which by the end would most likely have been the same cost . Keep up the work man !

I wanted to clean up the triple tree because I didn’t like the now exposed clamps. So I attempted to use and XS400J flat top triple but the spacing is off by 10mm. I may revisit this in the future as it will require the use of the bottom triple clamp, a new fork brace, possibly a new axle and pressing out the middle stems from the XS400J and XS500 and swapping them.

So instead I decided to remove the clamps from my XS500 triple.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
Back
Top Bottom